Learned nice 'Bog Risk-Reduction' trick today...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It pays off to play crafty opponents. At least in the long run...

Today I learned a nice trick how to reduce the risk of Bog for tanks provided they use Platoon Movement.

A Platoon of tanks entered X7, X8, and X9 simultaneously at half MP-cost. Common sense would tell you, that as three tanks crash trough the woods in three different Locations, naturally thee Bog Checks would be called for.

That is not the case. Only one Bog DR is made and Radom Selection decides, which AFVs are affected. There is even a Q&A on it.

D14.21...
If ≥ one AFV in the same platoon is subject to Bog/Mechanical-Reliability/Stall DR, only one DR per condition is made for the platoon at the end of the Impulse, before any attacks (14.32). If Bog/Immobilization occurs, Random Selection is then used—but only among the AFV that would normally have been Bogged/Immobilized by that Final DR (with different DRM potentially applying to different AFV). If Stall occurs, all AFV in that platoon are immediately considered Stopped; make one Delay DR (regardless of how many AFV Stalled) and the Start MP plus Delay DR is the Impulse MP cost.

Q&A
B23.41, B26.53, & D14.21 -
If a 2 AFV Platoon enter the different hexes of a two hex wooden building in the same impulse, is this considered a single Bog condition entailing a single Bog DR with RS being used if Bog occurs? (If a Bog occurs and a single vehicle is selected by RS and a 6 is rolled on the colored dr, is just the selected AFV for bog cellared or are both AFV Subject to cellaring? If no Bog occurs but a 6 is rolled on the colored dr are both vehicles cellared or is RS used to determine which?)
If a 2 AFV Platoon enter the different wire hexes in the same impulse, is this considered a single Bog condition entailing a single Bog DR with RS being used if Bog occurs? (If a 1 on the colored die results in a wire removal are both wires removed or is it RS as to which is removed?)

A.
Random Selection applies in all those circumstances: Bog, Cellar, Wire Removal.

I was aware of RS selection applied to Bog while using Platoon Movement, but it somehow did not occur to me that it would be applicable in case of such 'hard obstacles' as Woods.

For our game, the treeline, which I determined to be a good deterrent for my opponents numerous tanks or at least costing more time to pass by a single Trail Break in succession, I was taught for the better.

Three Russian tanks crashed through the hitherto unknown Russian balsa-woods into my now even softer flank. Uh-oh...

von Marwitz

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Russians aren't normally that sophisticated... ;)

von Marwitz
It smells to me like "Wrecking the rentals" FrF97... Just a guess...

I think the key is in the sM8, and that wood is awfully dangerous with that GrW 34 around.

Anyway, thx for the new trick!!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It smells to me like "Wrecking the rentals" FrF97... Just a guess...

I think the key is in the sM8, and that wood is awfully dangerous with that GrW 34 around.
The very one!

After all those TBs were established, the Russian infantry did not use them. The GrW 34 did have its beads on them.
However, the sM8s of his 8 tanks were producing Smoke like a steam engine, so that the mortar can hardly see a thing.

It is now the start of German Turn 2 and only two of the Russian rentals (one Sherman and one Valentine) are wrecked. The 'cavalry' is about to arrive...

von Marwitz

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a question: haven't noticed cellars as random selection before, would a tank crashing a building in platoon move cause another tank to suffer cellar destruction even though it didn't enter a building that turn? how would it be handled?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Just a question: haven't noticed cellars as random selection before, would a tank crashing a building in platoon move cause another tank to suffer cellar destruction even though it didn't enter a building that turn? how would it be handled?
Participants in random selection are only among those entering the relevant Bog terrain.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
The very one!

After all those TBs were established, the Russian infantry did not use them. The GrW 34 did have its beads on them.
However, the sM8s of his 8 tanks were producing Smoke like a steam engine, so that the mortar can hardly see a thing.

It is now the start of German Turn 2 and only two of the Russian rentals (one Sherman and one Valentine) are wrecked. The 'cavalry' is about to arrive...

von Marwitz
LoL ! I played that as russian in january!! That mortar makes the wood no no terrain!

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Of course if they stay in line............The first tank creates a TB (with RS Bog) and the rest can pass through the TB safely.

I like this new way though. You spend less MP as a Platoon.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Of course if they stay in line............The first tank creates a TB (with RS Bog) and the rest can pass through the TB safely.

I like this new way though. You spend less MP as a Platoon.
think of a platoon of 3 matilda/matlda frogs going thru dense jungle... +7 DRM on the bog check, but you have a nice chance not to get bogged with two of them... and they can get into the back of the japanese defense line... I will use that on our games, Neal !!

pd: and a lot Japanese tanks are radioless, so they have to use platoon movement... I will read again that rule to be sure

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
think of a platoon of 3 matilda/matlda frogs going thru dense jungle... +7 DRM on the bog check, but you have a nice chance not to get bogged with two of them... and they can get into the back of the japanese defense line... I will use that on our games, Neal !!

pd: and a lot Japanese tanks are radioless, so they have to use platoon movement... I will read again that rule to be sure
You bring up an excellent tactic. Even the bogged one is likely to get moving again. Really depends on the time available in the scenario.