Add board to game in progress

big_m0dem

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been looking for instructions on how to add a board to a game already in progress. Is that even possible with VASSAL 3.2.17/VASL6.4.4, or any version of VASL?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have been looking for instructions on how to add a board to a game already in progress. Is that even possible with VASSAL 3.2.17/VASL6.4.4, or any version of VASL?
I have never actually tried this, but I am pretty sure that it is possible. Maybe you should test beforehand what will happen to the position of the counters if you add a board. If you just want to increase the 'offboard' area at the bottom, then I see no problem.

Should you intend to insert a new board in between two existing ones, then maybe the counters on the former lower board may now be at the same position on the newly inserted one - no idea, you would have to test that. However, this modification during a game does not seem to make much sense in the first place.

But now on how to do it:

In the VASL 'Main Map' window, click the 'Orange Soldier' button on the top left to view the following dropdown menu:

Select the option 'Pick new boards for this scenario. Then the normal window for board configuration opens:

You can now add new rows / columns and exchange/add boards. As said before, I strongly recommend to test the behavior before using this on an ongoing game. Better safe than sorry.

You should NOT use the 'Clear' button, because this will clear all counters, etc. from the playing area except for the mere boards.

After you have selected an individual board, then there is the option to 'Reset' it. This will reset all terrain alterations made to that board but you will keep the counters on the board.

What I can tell you is that I use this method to build pre-made setups based on the template of an existing .vasl file.

Besides:

In general, I would recommend you to upgrade to the current versions of VASSAL (v3.4.9) and VASL (v6.6.1).

Note, though, that these current versions are NOT downward compatible very much.

However, it is possible to upgrade older VASL files to work with current VASSAL/VASL versions via the 'Refresh Counters' Function in the 'Tools' dropdown on the VASL controls window. I have successfully tried this for old VASL files going back as far as v5.9.3. I have described here and in the subsequent posts how this is done in detail.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States

Yes you can, just as von Marwitz described above. I've done it many times. Be careful and save the game before you try it - it takes a little practice but it's easy once you have a little experience.

big_m0dem

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like its pretty easy to add a row to the bottom, but to the top... not so sure.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve added boards by using a placeholder board when I created the scenario. This works great if you can anticipate the future board configuration but don’t know the actual board you’ll be using.

bd00 is perfect for this. Simply change it to the desired board at the proper time in your game.

I’d save the game before doing so just to be safe.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I often add board 00 to the bottom or right when playing a night scenario and the starshell drifts offboard. It is the only way VASL will automatically "illuminate" the proper hexes of the play area.