Scenario Translations for GI: AoV Scenarios 91-100?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Came across an ad in an old The Wargamer magazine for GI: Anvil of Victory scenarios 91-100 pack. I thought I had everything SL in my collection, but that pack apparently came out around the time I was graduating from college and getting my commission in the Army, so I missed it. Does anyone know if those scenarios were ever ported over to ASL? I can't find scenarios with the same names in any of the ASL listings. They were apparently sanctioned by AH (hence the official numbering), but may not have been produced by them. Just curious if they were ever considered an "official" product, and if they weren't translated over to full ASL, if there are plans to do so. The A GI's Dozen scenario pack apparently covered selected scenarios from the original GI: AoV and the series 300 scenarios. 91-100 may not have been covered yet. Possibly fodder for an AP at some point?

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Came across an ad in an old The Wargamer magazine for GI: Anvil of Victory scenarios 91-100 pack. I thought I had everything SL in my collection, but that pack apparently came out around the time I was graduating from college and getting my commission in the Army, so I missed it. Does anyone know if those scenarios were ever ported over to ASL? I can't find scenarios with the same names in any of the ASL listings. They were apparently sanctioned by AH (hence the official numbering), but may not have been produced by them. Just curious if they were ever considered an "official" product, and if they weren't translated over to full ASL, if there are plans to do so. The A GI's Dozen scenario pack apparently covered selected scenarios from the original GI: AoV and the series 300 scenarios. 91-100 may not have been covered yet. Possibly fodder for an AP at some point?]

To which scenarios—ie. names—are you referring? I think the U/series has most/all of these.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Designed by 3W (World Wide Wargames) Rodger MacGowen. Not produced by AH.

Wargamer Magazine released 81-90, then a pack 91-100

Official AH GI Scenarios 33-47, Series 300 (300-309) plus General Scenarios. (Mostly released as ASL in Rivers to the Reich and Turning the Tide)

Last edited:

rdreyer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to:

Designer: N/A
Artist: Rodger B. MacGowan
Publisher: 3W (World Wide Wargames)

The 12-page booklet contains the following Squad Leader scenarios:
91: ASSAULT AT WADELINCOURT; 13 May 1940; Wadelincourt, Belgium
92: PATTON'S END RUN; 11 August 1943; Brolo, Sicily
93: CASSINO STATION; 17 February 1944; Cassino, Italy
94: HILL 112; 27 June 1944; Caen, France
95: THE ATTEMPT TO EXPLOIT; 26 July 1944; Marigny, France
96: SCRATCH FORCE; 7 September 1944; Briey, France
97: THE BREAKING WAVE; 19 December 1944; Dom Butgenbach, Belgium
98: NIGHT ASSAULT; 26 March 1945; Kirchhellen, Germany
99: COOPERATIVE VENTURE; 28 March 1945; Dorsten, Germany
100: A DAY AT THE RACES; 4 May 1945; Berchtesgaden, Germany

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to:

That's them. AH apparently authorized the numbering, but based on the cover, copyright was by WWW. Designers were listed as John Mischon, Joe Suchar, John Kenower, Steve Myrberg, Simon Haines, and Andy Bagley. Not sure how ownership rights would work at this point. Looks like I also missed 81-90. Not sure how widely any of them were played, or whether they were good designs.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Bruce Probst was working on updating these scenarios for ASL. But that was sometime ago.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I finished working on updating scenarios 81-100 and passed them to MMP about 10 years ago. They are "scheduled" (ho, ho) to be published in Out of the Attic #3. (There's a small blurb about them in OotA #2, "A View from the Attic".)

That information from 10 years ago is the most recent official statement on the project.

Are they good scenarios? Well, I'm obviously biased, but a few of them represent some unique (for ASL) situations*, while others are pretty meat-and-potato. How much enjoyment you might derive from them would be based on your particular preferences. In most cases I did my best to try and preserve the "feel" of the original scenario while making them conform to ASL standards (and historical realities). Consequently some of them will probably feel "weird" to today's ASL community. There are certainly a few of them that I would design quite differently if I was creating them from scratch!

Given the time and effort I put into the project I'd certainly like them to become widely available for others to pass judgement on them, but I have no say in that at this time.

* E.G., looking for an air-drop at night in snow combined with a seaborne evacuation? If yes, then "The Bruneval Raid" is for you!

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hope to see these in print Bruce! I remember playtesting a couple at Winter Offensive many years ago. It will be nice to see these officially in print

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to:

I had the earlier scenario pack, the one with CoD and East Front scenarios. I saw the same add and was interested. Do the revisions include the earlier ones too?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I finished working on updating scenarios 81-100 and passed them to MMP about 10 years ago. They are "scheduled" (ho, ho) to be published in Out of the Attic #3. (There's a small blurb about them in OotA #2, "A View from the Attic".)
This sounds like they were ready for Christmas...

Bruce surely has the beard to pass off as Santa, but that wide-brimmed Australian Akubra hat might give him away.
🤣

von Marwitz

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All good information. I guess the ball is in MMP's court on when we might see them. Once HL 2nd Ed. and the WO2021 pack are released, there should only be a "few" things in the queue (J13, overlay pack, HASLs, map pack), so hopefully we'll see OotA3 sooner rather than later. We should be due for an update to the MMP production schedule (last update was in Aug), although I expect the current environment makes things a little less certain to forecast.

Edit: Actually just found this (updated MMP production schedule) in a different thread: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-battle-of-manila-1945.158401/page-6

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
MMP has a lot of great submissions from great people, including The Bruce. I suspect that Journal 13 will be chock-full of fascinating scenarios.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The numbering of those scenarios {81 - 100} was in the days of Squad Leader, ASL was not even in the picture then.
Hence WWW could number them whatever they wanted. After ASL came out, then AH reluctantly had to put its foot
down on TPPs. Still wish to see those scenarios out in print OFFICIALLY! Come on MMP, get on the ball.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Hence WWW could number them whatever they wanted.
Actually, from what I was able to determine, the numbering 81-100 was specifically approved by TAHGC for use by 3W.

Apparently the idea that there might be as many as 80 "official" scenarios was inconceivable to TAHGC at that time. :)

[Of course they were already using "alternate" numbering for scenario packs ("Series 100", etc.) and scenarios published in the General (scenarios "A", "B", and so on; "T"-series, etc.).]

The 3W scenarios were, essentially, approved as "official" by TAHGC and the scenarios were designed and playtested by many of the SL "regulars": Andy Bagley, Simon Haines, Courtney Allen,
Joe Suchar, Jon Mishcon, John Kenower, Steve Myberg, Howard Sylvester, Burt Baker, Kevin Duke, Jim Vaughn, Mark Nixon, Val John Halford.