So what scenarios have you played Recently?

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J148 Last Minute War This was over by turn 3. Lots of broken hungarian MG's, hot Slov dice vs cold hungarian dice and I forgot the Arty on turn 1. Tom's armor was king, each AT gun accounted for one, a MMG stuned an AC forcing recall but then it stalled on its start up die cut rout paths! Over all a disaster for the Hungarians who simply couldn't buy a DR.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgetting the arty is HUGE in this as it seriously hampers the Slovak advance. Lost this as the Slovaks, but it went to the wire. Fun scenario, but when the dice are bad, the dice are bad.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently finished up FT216 Back in Force with Curtis Brooks. He had the defending Germans vs. my attacking Americans. Set on board 23 (canal) and 51 (heavy urban). A very nice OB with a mix of troops and toys. VC is American to control 13 or more buildings while NOT losing 20 more CVP that the Germans.

I received Curtis’s setup in advance and really had to puzzle through my attack, more specifically my T2 reinforcements. I opted to take my reinforcements in by avoiding the two closest bridges (and VC buildings) -- the right flank of my entry area. He started with two 75L AT and figured they would be on the left flank of the reinforcement area to contest the two left-most bridges (and both were). I felt that pushing there would result in burning Shermans and possibly end the American’s chances before ever getting started. He did get a sneaky LOS and was able to destroy one Sherman on the center bridge area.

Fairly quickly I was holding 10 of the required 13 VC buildings. Curtis realized spending troops on buildings that were clearly untenable was a waste – I concurred. The focus was on three mid-board 51 buildings, two of which were rowhouses. In the mid/late game, I gained a huge result that unlocked one of the three buildings: a WP CH on a key 548 who broke and had to rout upstairs and would be mopped up. Once this building fell, I was able to fully focus on the remaining two buildings.

Rowhouse #1 had a broken 247, and GO 467, but I had some significant FP approaching that could likely enter in CC with a (-3) ambush modifier. Additionally, as events would unfold, my armor would be free to roam causing even more German consternation.

Rowhouse #2 had limited defensive resources. However, sealing German’s fate was a PzIV that trundled up to take a shot at my Sherman. I was able to score a hit destroying it. With the loss of this critical asset (the German’s only tank and AT guns were back at the canal area), it became that much harder for the Germans and they decided to withdraw to fight another scenario.

A really fun urban scenario with a LOT of decisions for the attacker. Too, I had to be wary of an AT gun idden in my backfield that could un-hip and grab a VC building or two. Thanks to Curtis for his typical expert play, one of the finest players you could ever play. Additionally, he put up with a fair amount of my whining and griping from me on my inability to generate any meaningful results for a couple mid-game turns. We have really enjoyed our recent journey through the pages of Le Franc Tireur scenarios, and we’ll be looking for our next one in the coming weeks. Check out this scenario, a very worthy play, now 5-4 on ROAR. Another gem from the LFT crew.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas, the inaugural scenario from the Dispatches new Red October series. It takes place in a little section of the Red October map, and sees a mish mash of low-ELR Germans defending against a Russian horde. A quick-playing, small scenario, with an incredible amount of rules overhead. There is a profusion of SSRs (plus the normal RF SSRs), and the Russians have about half a dozen possible ways to win (plus one for the Germans). Fortunately, only two or three of the VC seem actually possible, but it made it extremely confusing to look back at the scenario card after taking a week-long break between sessions and try to figure out what is going on. I recommend trying to play this in one sitting. Both my opponent and I felt we were not at our best with this one.

Apart from having too much chrome, I liked the scenario. The map is a nice combination of tight urban rubble and wide-open boulevards, and that makes for a nice combination of maneuver with the usual Rochambeau Stalingrad stuff.

My German opponent attacked two of the insta-win victory buildings: he ground steadily forward, but I was rolling well and made him pay every time he had to cross open ground. Both buildings came close to falling, but the Germans have a couple of trenches that make it easier to shuttle troops between them as necessary. By turn 4 (of 6), the Russians were well-established in one of the insta-win buildings, and were just about to clear out the last of the Germans (which would have been game over) when the Russians hit their CVP cap for a German win. If I had rolled 6-7s instead of 4-5s against the units in open ground, he would have been routing instead of K/ing, and I think the Russians would have had it in the bag, though.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
I recently finished up FT216 Back in Force with Curtis Brooks. He had the defending Germans vs. my attacking Americans. Set on board 23 (canal) and 51 (heavy urban). A very nice OB with a mix of troops and toys. VC is American to control 13 or more buildings while NOT losing 20 more CVP that the Germans.

A really fun urban scenario with a LOT of decisions for the attacker. Too, I had to be wary of an AT gun idden in my backfield that could un-hip and grab a VC building or two. Thanks to Curtis for his typical expert play, one of the finest players you could ever play. Additionally, he put up with a fair amount of my whining and griping from me on my inability to generate any meaningful results for a couple mid-game turns. We have really enjoyed our recent journey through the pages of Le Franc Tireur scenarios, and we’ll be looking for our next one in the coming weeks. Check out this scenario, a very worthy play, now 5-4 on ROAR. Another gem from the LFT crew.

Hello,
Very happy that you enjoyed the scenario!

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LFT231 Cub Cub Hills Our playing of this scenario was filled with dramatic highs and lows. By the end of turn 1 Tom was half-way to the CVP cap. By the end of turn 3, I had had less than 1 GO squad on each hill mass. Tom's mtr's swept the crests clean and forced me back into reverse slope positions and he made the final rush and failed. What made the scenario excellent was the edge of your seat tension that started from the first turn and last until the last. Highly recommend. This also got me out of like a 1 - 5 slump so hopefully I can build on that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Tonight, I finished playing FrF12 The Fields of Black Gold, which without doubt qualified as 'one of those games'...

An AAR can be found here.

von Marwitz

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No Walt, you won't be able to do that against Tom K. 🤣
Yep, you're probably right but I will have fun trying. Missed you while you're in the hood had I known dinner wasn't going to work I would have come buy for a visit brother. Next time you're up this way covid or not we'll arrange to push some cardboard. Best Regards!

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FRF93 Weiner Walzer My victories were short lived as Tom took me to task in the Friendly Fire offering. I knew as soon as we started this was going to be one of those scenarios where early luck or early bad luck would be a big determining factor on victory or defeat. Given Tom's proven good luck and my proven bad it was a no brainer how things would go.

Tom's Russian ambush went off without a hitch and his 45L AT gun ran out of targets before he ran out of ROF and that spelt the end right there with nearly half my infantry dead on turn 1. I fought on for three more turns but even a gang rush at the Russians with nearly everything the Germans had left couldn't get anyone close enough to try to sneak in on a last minute rush.

Roar shows this slightly Russian, no big surprise there. I assume most of the German victories come from early breakage or no ROF for the 45L which puts the Germans in position to gain the initiative. and get closer to the VC areas before the Russian reinforcements can consolidate.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
FRF93 Weiner Walzer My victories were short lived as Tom took me to task in the Friendly Fire offering.
I do not know who is Tom's favorite whipping boy, you, Al, Lindsey and a host of others. You guys have got to be getting better and it certainly is good news that Tom is back and in NC making our state a center of good ASL play. I wanted to try my luck up in Gettysburg but Tom ducked me (probably was the other way around). Happy Turkey Day!

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT236 Ethnic Cleansing Tom and I clashed again Sunday in another LFT offering. This game was a 5-hour, old school heavyweight fight (think Ali and Frazier) as my Albanian and Italian forces attacked to disarm Tom's NOVJ partisans. The tale-of-the-tape here was hot/cold dice with both of us experiencing lucky/unlucky streaks. Example - Turn 4 vehicle reinforcements arrive and their high-speed, wire-killing tires actually work and cut the wire up, but both break the MA on ensuing Aph shots, one would recover, the other spent the rest of the scenario shooting up stuff with his rear turret MG lol! The Axis made a great last turn dash to secure nearly all the hill hexes and got units into the F6 Victory building and into CC but the sly little partisans ambush withdrew for the win.

Overall this was a tough scenario, it lacks a lot of plays probably because there are partisans and the PI name but, it is a lot of fun for both sides neither Tom nor I made any glaring tactical errors and both of us were in position to win at the end but the die didn't fall my way in ambush. Highly recommend giving this one a try.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted a very short briefing of this scenario (Ethnic Cleansing) on fb. One of the responders said that he wouldn’t play this scenario due to VP’s being awarded for massacre of prisoners. Maybe a few others feel the same.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, and we talked about it during the game, it really isn't that likely an event The partisans don't surrender via the rout phase and must be captured in CC for an actual massacre to take place. No easy task given their natural panache for escaping the bayonet via ambush withdrawal. We figured the best opportunity was vs a pinned unit who couldn't voluntarily break and run away.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I played Axis and Allies with three other ASL players the Saturday after Thanksgiving, albeit a bit risky even masked. Before you get too excited I am referring to FT253. It was a hoot with four nationalities, Italian Fascists with Germans and Italian Partisans with the Americans. I had to play the Partisans since the host trotted out my 8-0 Partisan counter :unsure: We played until the beginning of the sixth of the seven turns and called it a draw as either side could have won. Good scenario for four players with interesting toys. Partisans had a lot of foreign SW's subject to captured use so when they broke I just had to win a CC and take the German SW's. Sad day for my American partner as a sniper took out his two Jacksons but leaving them around the enemy sniper was not a good idea. I outpaced my ally in building captures having very good die rolls and CC success. More importantly, my leader counter survived but being only an 8-0 I kept him back to rally the troops with Nonino Grappa!

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Two of the more classic monster scenarios were completed over the past few weeks by Mr Honus and myself. The first was "Sowchos 79" from 'Turning of the Tide' scenario pack. The best I can say about my Russians in this one was that they contributed to what Mr H claimed was " a career best" in die rolls. I did my best to keep things interesting and stuck it out to the last game turn when my last defenders were broken and chased from the VC buildings. Surprisingly, the 3M2 mansion held out almost to the very end despite being in the forefront of the action from the beginning. Always a fun scenario despite the ROAR record. Some scenarios are just too much fun to worry about balance

The second scenario was "Road to Khozani Pass", also from TotT. The DRs were more balanced in this one without any craziness going on. That said, I did manage a few good roles when needed in the tank battle between the Mr Honus' British A10s and my German Pz IIs and IIIs on and around the Board 2 hills. The British and New Zealand infantry did not go down easily and I did suffer a number of losses. However, once German tanks, halftracks and supporting infantry pushed deep behind the Board 2 hills and the main German infantry force came over and around Hill 522 into the village on Board 3, the writing was on the wall. The defence conceded the inevitable about turn 10.

Last edited: