So what scenarios have you played Recently?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Steve and I played this? Don't mess with my old man syndrome like this. STEVE AND I PLAYED THIS????
Didn't you?
I admit that I am not completely sure. But it could have been Steve (for sure) and a guy just like you. ;)

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't you?
I admit that I am not completely sure. But it could have been Steve (for sure) and a guy just like you. ;)

von Marwitz
Just like me? Poor bastige :). All kidding aside, I don't think Steve and I played that one. We have done a couple of playtests of late, but not that one.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ROMA1 Eight Million Bayonets - Tom and I recently squared off in this new gem from the ASL Roma 2020 pack. It was a lot of fun and even though I completely blew the set up instructions reference the Greek gun set up we played it through to the end. Came down to the last CC for an Italian win. The Italian star was his sniper, who when given the chance came through with two very key breaks. Tom and I both agreed to play again using the correct gun set-up restrictions and see if it's just as fun.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
ROMA1 Eight Million Bayonets - Tom and I recently squared off in this new gem from the ASL Roma 2020 pack. It was a lot of fun and even though I completely blew the set up instructions reference the Greek gun set up we played it through to the end. Came down to the last CC for an Italian win. The Italian star was his sniper, who when given the chance came through with two very key breaks. Tom and I both agreed to play again using the correct gun set-up restrictions and see if it's just as fun.
What was the problem with the gun? Is it easy to mess up? Up in Gettysburg a few weeks back we did not understand the time card on one of the Roma 2020 scenarios. These days I am attributing the gaffs I have been making to shell shock when in the U.S. Army my Russian typewriter crashed to the floor.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I confused boards 81 and 86 so had the guns set up in the village and not on the hill. I do however feel, had I set up correctly the game would have been over way sooner. I would have been force to either set up the guns unsupported on the hill top or support them and have little to nothing in the village. That said I really want to play it again using the correct set-up. That alone is a pretty good recommendation from me (which matters not) because I try to never replay a scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Friendly Fire Pack 8 [FrF66] I lost this against Dave Stephens yesterday but I forgot the new MMP ID of this re-release from Friendly Fire. I saw that the time was rather short so I played it aggressively and quickly lost my best leader and had 25% of my infantry break. I attacked from the East rather than enter the board on the south. Rethinking my strategy I decided to go for the back wooden multi-hex building as attacking stone buildings in my weakened state would not work. Using Smoke from my mortar and from SD's of my two JaPzV's I completely outflanked the Russians and got within striking distance of the wood building. Then it fell apart. Desperate, and taking to heart a quote from the Kobra Kai series,
("The Best Defense Is More Offense."),

Dave sent one SU-85 CE through eight shots of infantry fire to get a rear shot on my JaPz and blew up him away. Not too serious until I broke my gun on the other PzJg that had one of Dave's Su-85 with with a -2 Acquisition on it. Then Dave took out most of my infantry making a demonstration toward the stone victory building. With that Dave politely asked me to surrender but I said, "wait and see." Attacking with two squads five Russian INF in the wood victory building I got into it surviving DFire from the infantry and two nearby Su-85's, won an ambush rolling eyes and moved upstairs with one of the other squads. Dave reacted quickly by running more men to the building. My reinforcements were on the way and with only three squads in the building they survived four attacks at 12+ from my reinforcing infantry outside and inside the building. Had I broke them, I would have controlled the building and won the game. Exciting finish. Never say die and c'est la guerre.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played CtR6 Black and Blue Swarms from BFP's Corregidor the Rock module. The only other mention of this on the forum called it a "terrible, terrible scenario", partly because it could be a bug hunt if the Japanese decide not to come out and fight. In our playing the American deployed almost all of the 14 squads in the OB in anticipation of this.

The Japanese, however, decided to fight. And well they did, inflicting 65% casualties on the US infantry. Of 11 squads and two leaders landed on the center and right of the beach only 2 squads and 1 leader made it off the beach (and only one hex in one case!). Fortunately, the tanks did their work, the Japanese 150 ART malfed after 3-4 shots and the left-flank US group survived. US win on CVP.

Highlights:
  • a Japanese HS attempt to throw a DC into a Landing Craft from a Hinterland/Ocean hex - rolled high on the Placement DR, NE, dead from LC MGs soon after.
  • the Bulldozer eliminating a pillbox (the 2 crews and leader within escaped through the tunnel)
  • a point blank, intensive fire shot from a Sherman into a building with melee in it and 2 Japanese crews/leader in a tunnel underneath it. 1,1 on the effects, dr1 = Rubble. We played it that the tunnel entrance survived. There's another thread with that question remaining unresolved.
So should the Japanese remain hidden and win a "terrible scenario"? Don't know, I think with full deployment the bug hunt could succeed. Regardless, this was the most fun and close-run of four Seaborne Assault scenarios we've played: Thai Hot, Vaagso Venture and Hell or High Water. And those are NOT "terrible". YMMV.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Managed to complete three games this weekend.

First up at my regular Friday night session with Dave Longworth we completed FrF70 An Estonian Interlude. On the smallish side but interesting match up of forces and capabilities. I had the Estonians versus Dave's Soviet Destruction Battalion Game turned on a Close Combat Phase around turn 6 when a Soviet 426, not only survived CC but was able to withdraw. Soviets ended up winning with 4 squads to 3 in the victory building.

Saturday was the November Paddington Bearz meeting that have now resumed at Paddo RSL. I played Dave Wilson in FT 214 A Grain of Sand. I had the Free French and punched and clipped the new Free French counters in anticipation of playing as the FF. My wish was rewarded but unfortunately my poor plan of attack, which was basically frontal assault on the village was not helped when Dave's first two shots were critical hits to flame a gyro armed Sherman and one of the halftracks, fortunately after it had unloaded its passengers. At lunch about an hour later I realised the second shot wasn't legal as the tank in question should have been subject to CA restrictions (C5.11) as it was in woods and changed its CA to take the second shot. C'est la guerre as my Free French may have said. Things didn't improve after lunch, I lost another Sherman to the second Pz IV as I pushed to eliminate a German squad for failure to rout. At about the same time the M5A1 (stunned by an MMG shot) and M5(MMG) immobilized after failing its mechanical reliability roll while attempting a drive by on what proved to be a dummy stack were revealed to be in the CA of the just revealed ATG. Two more blaze counters were extracted from the counter tray and a quick calculation determined I was at 29 CVP. Next fire phase after a Sherman disabled its MA trying to take out the second Pz IV on an intensive fire shot I decided to cut my losses and get the early bus home. I'd like to give this one another go as I really didn't get full value from the tools available to the French and committing so early to one VC makes it much easier for the Germans to respond.

Sunday was my regular VASL session with Dave Wallace where we completed DB099 The Gin Drinker's Line. I had the attacking Japanese in this. Played over two Sunday mornings, the dice bot was with me in this one, especially in the first session. I lost a couple of half squads to K results but didn't have a squad stripe until the second last turn. Turning point was in the Japanese defensive fire phase in turn 2 when the woodpecker went on a rate tear killing the British 9-1 and breaking two squads (one of which was reduced to half squad) and compromising the defence of the village as it left the British MMG unmanned - a hero was generated in the hex with the MMG but it took this character two turns to find it. By turn four all the British leaders bar one were dead and he was stranded on the wrong side of the valley. Smoke from the light mortars blinded the surviving pockets of resistance and the Japanese were able to occupy the necessary huts while mopping up most of the remaining defenders either by failure to rout or in CC.

There's a pattern here but I'll leave it to others to discern what it is.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
T6 The Dead of Winter Tom and I decided to play The Scenario Archive's scenario of the month. Tom had played Al earlier int he week as loosing as the Russians and since we played at his bunker I took the attacking Russians. Tom played a great game and had the dice to back it up as numerous low fire-power shots came up with big results. He did manage to malf and break the AT gun, the turn after it succeeded in deliberately immobilizing one of the T34's but by turn 4 it was obvious I wasn't going to be able to get enough infantry along with the two surviving T34's off for the victory. This is a time tested scenario and maybe in a few months I'll feel like playing again us the otherside or giving it ago again as the Russians.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently played J188 Grab and Go as the defending Germans against Paul Lauger's horde of 21 Russian 458s. An interesting German delaying action that went to the second to last German player turn (bottom of T6).

One important SSR, the Russian 458s may deploy which I gave me great concern as the Russians start with 21 x 458 and solid leadership. Paul, the good player he is, did exactly what I would have done in his shoes: deploy assertively. As a result, 21 squads turned into around ~30 squad and half-squad maneuver elements.

I pulled back reasonably well in the first three turn. However, my wicked Turn 3 defensive fire where he had to cross open ground/road that split the two boards (boatloads of -2 shots) was a total whiff. Despite getting MCs and placing a wall of residual (4/2/1-2s), virtually all MCs were passed with ease. As a result, the gaggle of squads/HSs slowly surrounded, broke, captured and overwhelmed my defenders. Amazingly, I was still in the game late (barely), but a series of bad German breaks spelled the end of any chance of victory.

We liked the scenario and it ended up closer than either of us expected. One observation as we played, we both agreed the German balance of a maximum deployment of 3 Russian squads would have been in order. Thanks to an expertly played game from Paul.

Last edited:

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
SP72 One Tough Canuck
Got slaughtered as the Canadians. One ATG took out a Tiger, Panther, 2x PzIVH, a SPW251/1, 9-1 leader and 2 squads. The rest of my force of 12 squads, 4 Shermans and 2x ATG could only kill a PzIVH and 3 squads. Germans just had too much of everything and the Canadians retired at end of turn 6 having only a single unbroken squad left against 13 German squads, a Tiger and a Panther. Only help from the Shermans was that they were placed in burnable terrain so the Germans had to go around the Blazes.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished turn 1 of U2 Sweep for Bordj Toum Bridge. Everywhere the Germans have rolled forward and bracketed key American positions. In the northwest with the American engineers, a U.S. MMG fired over hedgerows to vaporize a German half squad running down the road through its bore sighted hex. Another German squad stumbled into minefields beside the river where it broke and then perished while trying to rout out. In the northeast, a ridge top U.S. 37LL ATG immobilized a Panzer III in the valley below, but German small arms fire broke one of the American squads who has since fled down slope to a building. In the southeast at the board 2 pass, a U.S. MMG broke some motorcyclists speeding through its bore sighted hex. Another pair of MMG on the board 15 central summit scored a rate frenzy at long range to break and reduce two German squads in the wood beside the intersection through the pass. The U.S. sniper inflicted a stun/recall on a German halftrack. A ridge top 37LL ATG bounced some rounds off a Panzer III. The 60mm MTR did the same before it’s manning infantry broke and fled. A concealed U.S. squad has since advanced into the hex to (hopefully) reclaim the mortar. OBA left us at the altar, the Americans failed radio contact and the Germans drew a red chit.

This scenario’s epic scope and luck-diluting OB make it one of the all-time greats. Each side gets enough resources to afford second and even third chances that make bad dice rolls “blend in” and fade away. Yes, you lose some – that OBA – but then you win some, by picking off a halftrack with a sniper. And the terrain. Towering hills (level 4) contoured by cliffs and crags look out over olive groves and marsh separated by winding dirt roads. It’s all so Spartacus.

Attachments

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ESG46 Mad Mike's Finest Hour, which is often listed on top ten PTO scenario lists. I was little bored, honestly, for the first few turns of maneuver. Then it heated up, but finally the Japanese stuffed the Allied advance short of the exit. It favors the Japanese on ROAR, so we gave the Allies the balance, the SAN of 5, which didn't make much difference.

What occurred to me halfway through this scenario, which uses 4 full boards criss-crossed by streams, jungled hills, jungled streams and the usual bamboo/swamp choke points, is that this scenario is all about control of the paths and bridges. As such it's, as far as I know, an excellent representation of actual PTO fighting. Most PTO scenarios are too small for the paths to really be critical, but I wonder if the disequilibrium on ROAR is due to inadequate use of paths/bridges by the Allies, who really must boogie if they are to have time to achieve either VC.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ESG46 Mad Mike's Finest Hour, which is often listed on top ten PTO scenario lists. I was little bored, honestly, for the first few turns of maneuver. Then it heated up, but finally the Japanese stuffed the Allied advance short of the exit. It favors the Japanese on ROAR, so we gave the Allies the balance, the SAN of 5, which didn't make much difference.

What occurred to me halfway through this scenario, which uses 4 full boards criss-crossed by streams, jungled hills, jungled streams and the usual bamboo/swamp choke points, is that this scenario is all about control of the paths and bridges. As such it's, as far as I know, an excellent representation of actual PTO fighting. Most PTO scenarios are too small for the paths to really be critical, but I wonder if the disequilibrium on ROAR is due to inadequate use of paths/bridges by the Allies, who really must boogie if they are to have time to achieve either VC.
I think if you give the Japanese another turn this one is almost perfect

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Rather Uncoordinated [AP158] Played this yesterday and won as the Finns/Swedes taking out three of the four Russian tanks, one by bypass ambush, one by a Stuka and one by a PF. Dave Stephens attacked with all forces concentrated to take the ammo depot so I had to rush most of my hill defense people to reinforce my under pressure troops. Then he shifted some forces to the hill and so it went with me under pressure the whole time. Good scenario and rather balanced with an interesting mix of units. Good choice of MMP to re-release the "Swedish Volunteers." Key to my victory was never running out of smoke with my two mortars which kept my men from being hit once targeted.

I hope I can still play face-to-face as the coronavirus is getting worse and to the point I might have to pull back until the situation improves.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP144 Ten-Ton Tank Tom and I got two scenarios in on Veterans day. This was the first. It was a nail biter from the very beginning and came down to the last turn where Tom won a hard fought victory. A theme that Tom started in our previous match up continued timely sniper activation. It really helped him here taking out the crew of the AT gun holding the Swede left doubling down by allowing an AFV to exit and reducing the need VP.

J175 Bedburg Bite Our second scenario didn't even make it the 1/2 way point before I threw in the towel in frustration, Tom really had my number with his set up and I ran into nearly every AP mine hex he had, even though I managed to break his right side, the cost was high and my time table thrown way off. I probably threw it in to early but it had been a frustrating day. Here again a sniper check quickly eliminated a British leader and I was lucky Tom was unable to counter attack and literally wipe the remaining infantry off the board.

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
TX-6 Tough Enough

Had the defending Germans and they were required to defend a bridge. Started with 10 Squads and an ATG against 20 Russian squads and 4x T34 M43. Russians get 4x IS-2's and 628's as reinforcements while the Germans get 2x Panthers and 2x PzIVH's. Both sides get to place a flame before setup. The Russian flame took of and spread causing many Blazes which turn out to be a major factor late in the game. German ATG took out 3 of the T34's and the game was close until the end when the last remaining T34 got a Deliberate immobilization against the last remaining Panther. Highly recommended scenario. NOTE: Important Victory Conditions ERRATA is on the Texas ASL website.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In my second round of the Sioux City Street Fighting tournament, I played WO33 ONE EYED JACQUES. I had the German attackers against John Otromke. John is playing at a beginner level at this time, so I am happy to say I won the game. The French setup had the area in front of the factory empty of units. This gave the Germans the possibility to quickly get into the blind hexes caused by the factory to the French artillery observer. Despite really wanting to avoid the artillery, I sent three squads up the right side, along with two tanks. Everyone else headed to the factory. The French 25LL and 37* were there, as well as the MMG and HMG and a leader. The French defensive fire was less effective than it needed to be. The HMG broke for a couple of phases, then repaired. Smoke Dischargers helped protect the Germans, as well as smoke from the Pz4. A Pz3 used the factory vehicle entrance to follow the German infantry into the factory. The Germans were able to take the factory at the end of turn 3 for the immediate win. My right flank assault was paralyzed by the French artillery.