Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I finished our playing of this scenario. Magnus had the defending Americans. He set up almost everything to protect the town. Although the AARs I read recommended against the Germans trying for the exit VC, Magnus' setup sorely tempted me. As well, charging across open ground towards the town seemed suicidal. I sent only four vehicles and one HS in front of the town. Everything else went towards the woods. I planned turn one intricately to sleaze and shoot-up the few units and dummies guarding the woods. Figuring that the OBA observer was in the level two building, I parked my two smoke assets in front of the town at a respectable distance. The 37L HT, carrying a HS, protected their right flank. The HS unloaded, taking the PSK with it. One panther was on the board seam.

Turn one for the Americans started to put a dent in my plans with the OBA. It destroyed one empty halftrack and the OBA immobilized one panther. A squad or two also broke, but they were recoverable. By the end of that turn, I lost another panther to a sniper recall when the SAN was only three.

On turn two for the Germans, I made a mistake sending a panther down the SSR woods road before sending a halftrack. The panther found a hex with four factors of AP mines. Surprisingly, it was only immobilized, but still mission dead. My JgPz4 smoke assets tried to smoke the OBA observer, but neither one had smoke. They would spend a bit of time firing at the observer.

So I was quickly down to three panthers that decided to go along the woods line while the infantry ran through the woods, out of sight of the observer. Magnus repositioned his OBA SR in preparation for my exit of the woods. His reinforcements did the same. A loaded HT that went around the mines found a HIP HS with a BAZ; it died. So the the HS soon after. His town units waited for awhile to be sure the Germans were not going to swing right for the town. The surviving panthers were successful at eliminating any armour that they saw, helped by Magnus' inability to find APCR. For several turns, I had units firing at the OBA observer with little effect. My infantry had to battle his infantry reinforcements near the exit of the woods. Just as I pushed through them, the panther that was immobilized by the OBA scored a CH on the OBA observer that also destroyed the radio.

When the two JgPz4 AFV and the 37L HT began to move, they ran up their right side and found all kinds of goodies; the HIP 57 ATG, more mines, and a HIP HS with a BAZ. Amazingly, the 57 ATG missed and later IF'd itself out of the game. The BAZ, I believe, X'd out on its only shot. One JgPz4 was eliminated by an M10. The second JgPz4 malfunctioned its MA so then tried to drive over to join the rest of the Germans. The M10 tried to chase it down, but then started a long series of cat and mouse moves between these two. The M10 had no APCR and the JgPz kept its front facing towards the M10, but could not get away. The 37L HT malfunctioned its MA and managed an early exit on the German right.

I needed all the turns to get the Germans into their exit positions. The JgPz-M10 duel eventually went in favour of the JgPz thanks to a panther. On the last MPh, however, I needed to run that JgPz CE along a road to exit the board. Magnus had a 6-6-6 with a -1 leader adjacent to the road. He rolled a 1MC against the CE crew, which they passed. A second American squad also obtained a NMC against that crew and it passed again. The JgPz still needed to make an ESB roll to exit. It passed that roll to win the game for me with 72 points exited. What a nail biter!

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Magnus Rimvall and I finished our playing of this scenario. ...What a nail biter!
One of my all time favorite scenarios (played at least 4 times already and would play again at the drop of a hat) and Pete's 1st published scenario IIRC.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played this with Cpl Uhl and it was close. A good scenario. We both gave it a "highly recommended" on ROAR.

He went for the buildings - in his words "no fun going for the exit". A tactic that also avoided all my AT mines which were covering the exit routes.

Last edited:

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The American OBA in this one is a nightmare. I probably sent 15-20 tank rounds at him before the 9-2 + infantry took over and broke him. Red cards in 2nd half of the game tamed it after that.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Played it against Keith Spurlock at ASLOK. In our everlasting struggle, Germans vs. Americans and vice versa, this scenario gave my Germans the edge very early in the game.
Two red chit draws silenced the OBA right from the beginning, i think the game was over for the Americans in turn 3 or 4...
Still an interesting scenario!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Two red chit draws silenced the OBA right from the beginning,
Without the OBA - it becomes very tough. No OBA at all as in your game - impossible.

Cpl Uhl very kindly suggested we play the Pleva rule after I drew two red chits. Problem was I kept drawing red chits and then he broke.............then he was out of time.