Best first/early HASLs?

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
What HASLs would you recommend people start with? Why? And how available are they ;)?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Although it may seem intimidating RB is a good one to start with. It flows surprisingly easily for having so many units on map.
Pegasus Bridge is a good one to start with too.

If you are an experienced player who has not played CGs then Hatten in Flames is great.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Red Barricades ???
Not sure of it's availability but if it is available I would really reccomend you get it. Even if you start off with another HASL RB is something that you should try at some point. The campaign games are sensational. As Fish stated we became totally absorbed by them, especially CG3. Others on the forum have expressed the same sentiment. I have the map sheet hanging on my bedroom wall.??

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What HASLs would you recommend people start with? Why? And how available are they ;)?
If you're specifically asking about CG's (as opposed to HASL scenarios), I recommend Hatten in Flames CG-I.
- simplified and structured purchases compared to other CG's
- combination of town and rural terrain
- other than the opening CG date, both sides have opportunities to attack and defend within the same CG date
- 5 CG dates, and only 5-6 turns per, so it plays pretty fast

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
My first historical campaign was Operation Veritable. I find it much more approachable than RB. It's more vehicle-centric, with lots of open ground and long lines of sight, in contrast to the cramped, confusing streets of Stalingrad.
Availability is not so good, though.

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
This all great advice, thanks. How good are the HASLs in CdG and Rising Sun?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Two other suggestions
Purple Heart Draw has smallish OBs and only 5 dates and also good fun. But you have to be happy to deal with bocage.

Onslaught to Orsha has large OBs and lots of fortifications but only 4 dates and no night. Terrain much more interesting than a city fight.

Both good fun, I really like Operation Veritable and Kampfgruppe Scherer but perhaps a bit much for a first campaign.

Red Barricades is okay but the full 30 date campaign gets very samey after a while. And the 5 date campaign seems a bit too pro-German.

I'd say the optimum campaign length is between 4-8 dates and both sides get to attack and defend. I haven't played Hatten yet but it looks like it hits the sweet spot. I quite like the non-random leaders/no depletion.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Two other suggestions
Purple Heart Draw has smallish OBs and only 5 dates and also good fun. But you have to be happy to deal with bocage.

Onslaught to Orsha has large OBs and lots of fortifications but only 4 dates and no night. Terrain much more interesting than a city fight.

Both good fun, I really like Operation Veritable and Kampfgruppe Scherer but perhaps a bit much for a first campaign.

Red Barricades is okay but the full 30 date campaign gets very samey after a while. And the 5 date campaign seems a bit too pro-German.

I'd say the optimum campaign length is between 4-8 dates and both sides get to attack and defend. I haven't played Hatten yet but it looks like it hits the sweet spot. I quite like the non-random leaders/no depletion.
I'll respectfully disagree about RB CG3, we reveled in it. Still to each his own and I never played any other HASL so really my opinion is rather skewed.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This all great advice, thanks. How good are the HASLs in CdG and Rising Sun?
There is a Dinant CG in CdG. Only 5 CG dates long, but it requires a river crossing which may be problematical for a new player. The HASL in RS is a seaborne assault and also has caves. Very rules intensive. But it is quite a small HASL.

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The HASL in RS is a seaborne assault and also has caves. Very rules intensive. But it is quite a small HASL.
Yes. "Sand & Blood" from Rising Sun is a nice campaign, but you have to like PTO and you must have internalized all the rules about PTO terrain, pillboxes, tunnels, caves, HIP, NOBA, landing crafts, air support, ...

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My suggestions for a first HASL would be:

Hatten in Flames from MMP easy to grasp, lots of armor for both sides, reasonably balanced.

If you're looking for an urban battlefield which is not as complex or large as Red Barricades, I would heartily recommend the Operation Turnscrew HASL/CG from Dispatches from The Bunker. Operation Turnscrew is quite possibly the most enjoyable HASL which I have ever played, and as with all Dispatches products, an excellent value to boot.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a Dinant CG in CdG. Only 4 CG dates long, but it requires a river crossing which may be problematical for a new player. The HASL in RS is a seaborne assault and also has caves. Very rules intensive. But it is quite a small HASL.
Well, 5 dates, but other than that, yes.