ASL Newb

Anthony

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Anthony
Country
llUnited States
Only started playing for about a year. Self teaching so you know Im a mess. I have a decent understanding of VASL and have played through SK 1 a couple times.
When I first started a small scenario would sometimes take days. It seemed every turn and every phase I would stop and start flipping through the manual. After many frustrating hours I finally stopped looking every little thing up and decided every game if I can just learn a couple things well, I could actually play and have fun.

Contact me for a game or two if You have too much hair and would like to thin it out a bit.

Cheers
Anthony

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome to the madhouse !
You won't regret starting that wonderful journey.
I would play with you by VASL, but I live in Switzerland (GMT+1).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Welcome aboard.....To properly learn ASL takes years. But there is something new to learn even for those are experienced players.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Don't know what you make of facebook...if you like it you could join some of the several ASL (SL, ASLSK) groups.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the madhouse !
You won't regret starting that wonderful journey.
I would play with you by VASL, but I live in Switzerland (GMT+1).
It is a wonderful journey. The road goes on and on. ?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard.....To properly learn ASL takes years. But there is something new to learn even for those are experienced players.
I would go so far as to say taking years is an understatement, decades is more like it. Not meant to deter anyone from starting ASL. As Robin stated it's a wonderful journey. ???

When I look st the ASLRB I am amazed I even had a rudimentary grasp of the rules. Checking out the ASOP the other day only reinforced my amazement. What a great game though!!!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would go so far as to say taking years is an understatement, decades is more like it. Not meant to deter anyone from starting ASL. As Robin stated it's a wonderful journey. ???

When I look st the ASLRB I am amazed I even had a rudimentary grasp of the rules. Checking out the ASOP the other day only reinforced my amazement. What a great game though!!!
Years to learn. Decades to master. A blast to play from the very first day.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Don't sweat it. Only read the sections you are about to play with and play rather than worry about trying to play the game "right".
I don't think I've ever read the ASOP completely.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Don't sweat it. Only read the sections you are about to play with and play rather than worry about trying to play the game "right".
That's good advice. You'll understand the rules better the more you play. Play, read, play more then read the sections you are unsure about. Don't try to absorb too much at a time.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've been called on the ASOP in a somewhat sharkish way in tournaments a few times, so I have made a habit to check (time and again) of whether to repair or recover SW first and such things in an attempt to finally remember...

Personally, though, I would not call someone for it, merely point out the correct order to save him being called by others.

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've been called on the ASOP in a somewhat sharkish way in tournaments a few times, so I have made a habit to check (time and again) of whether to repair or recover SW first and such things in an attempt to finally remember...

Personally, though, I would not call someone for it, merely point out the correct order to save him being called by others.

von Marwitz
We now go repair, recover, rally each start of rally phase even though when playing together, we never play strictly (forgot to try that repair and it's now the movement phase? Sure go ahead!). It's a good reminder mantra.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Find an opponent who is as willing to teach as he is to win. That same person should also be of the sort who doesn't mind correcting (to your advantage) mistakes you might make in terms of calculating modifiers and TEM and so forth.

BD