BFP VASL Extension Update

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problems with the link have been solved. You can get the BFPv5.XX.vmdx extension from the VASL extensions download page.

Place this file in your extension folder. This version is NOT compatible with, and replaces all prior BFP extensions.

This version adds a dedicated BFP tab which includes counters for all BFP modules.

Please keep using this thread to report issues. Thanks,

Al

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al, so if I delete all my older BFP modules, I lose nothing in the translation, correct? Great work as always.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al, so if I delete all my older BFP modules, I lose nothing in the translation, correct? Great work as always.
Correct. Safest way forward in my opinion...

With VASSAL closed, put the DRAFT BFP extension in your extensions folder. Then open VASSAL. From the VASSAL window, expand the VASL module. You should see both BFP extensions as being active. Now you’re just a right click away from deactivating which BFP extension version you want don’t want to use. This moves it to the inactive folder within your extensions folder. Open VASL and have your fun.

If the DRAFT version messes you up, close VASL, deactivate the DRAFT extension, and reactivate the older version that did work for you. Start VASL again. It’s that easy to switch back and forth.

Of course I’ll want to know why the DRAFT version wasn’t working for you.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. Safest way forward in my opinion...

With VASSAL closed, put the DRAFT BFP extension in your extensions folder. Then open VASSAL. From the VASSAL window, expand the VASL module. You should see both BFP extensions as being active. Now you’re just a right click away from deactivating which BFP extension version you want don’t want to use. This moves it to the inactive folder within your extensions folder. Open VASL and have your fun.

If the DRAFT version messes you up, close VASL, deactivate the DRAFT extension, and reactivate the older version that did work for you. Start VASL again. It’s that easy to switch back and forth.

Of course I’ll want to know why the DRAFT version wasn’t working for you.
Hi Al. Could I not just go into my VASL folder and delete all but the most recent BFP folder?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Al. Could I not just go into my VASL folder and delete all but the most recent BFP folder?
Yes you could. I would save a copy of your old BFP extension somewhere...just in case you need it later. Once the DRAFT version has simmered a bit, I’d then feel more confident that you could fully trust it. I’ve seen a few reports that’s it’s working out okay. So far so good but I’m not ready to tell you you can fully trust it yet.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This extension is first on my priority list so I plan on providing a quick fix to any issues found.

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Great! Thanks!

I'm looking for the Pz KV-8(Fl)(r) from ITR2 - will this be available in the mod?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes you could. I would save a copy of your old BFP extension somewhere...just in case you need it later. Once the DRAFT version has simmered a bit, I’d then feel more confident that you could fully trust it. I’ve seen a few reports that’s it’s working out okay. So far so good but I’m not ready to tell you you can fully trust it yet.
Thanks Al.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great! Thanks!

I'm looking for the Pz KV-8(Fl)(r) from ITR2 - will this be available in the mod?
Unfortunately I don’t own ItR2. I do have ItR1 but haven’t looked at it in a while. I’ll pull it out to see what I can do with what I have.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm updating the BFP VASL extension. v44 DRAFT is available here:

Place this file in your extension folder. This DRAFT version is NOT compatible with any other prior BFP extensions. You'll need to deactivate those before you open VASL (very easy to do so it's easy to switch back and forth as needed).

This update adds a dedicated BFP tab and includes counters for CtR and OtO2. You'll find them in their own pull down menu:

View attachment 15325

You'll note in the pull down menu that you'll find BFPs other modules as well. This is an effort to provide "one-stop" shopping for all BFP VASL things and is a work in progress. The update does not change how BFP VASL components from Objective Schmidt and earlier are accessed. I'm simply adding another access option through the pull down menu. Pull down menus Objective Schmidt and earlier have not been proofed by me. I'll keep working on them as time permits.

The pull down menu for OtO2 and CtR have been proofed by me so hopefully they are fully useable for your enjoyment of these excellent modules.

I'm providing this DRAFT version to work out the bugs before a more official public release. Your feedback is essential to help me put out a quality product deserving of BFP. Please reply here as you find stuff with any of the pull down menus.

I pretty much only monitor GS so please forward this post to other social media as you desire. If you do, please serve as a point of contact to get any feedback back to me here.

Thanks all. Stay safe out there in a non-COVID virtual VASL world.

Al
Is there a list of the older Extensions that need to be deleted before using this?
Do (very old) Extensions for HoB need to be deleted as well?

It seems to be somewhat difficult for me to guess which of the oldies originated from/were intended for BFP.

I am thinking of the follwing:

- SpecialForces.mdx
"HoB's Special Forces: LRDG & SAS ""SAS/LRDG"" tab in British tray"

- onslaught-to-orsha6.0.vmdx
HoB's Onslaught to Orsha counters in new tab in German & Russian tray

- RbF4.mdx
HOB Recon by Fire #4 captured Russian tank variants in the German OB tray

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is there a list of the older Extensions that need to be deleted before using this?
Do (very old) Extensions for HoB need to be deleted as well?

It seems to be somewhat difficult for me to guess which of the oldies originated from/were intended for BFP.

I am thinking of the follwing:

- SpecialForces.mdx
"HoB's Special Forces: LRDG & SAS ""SAS/LRDG"" tab in British tray"

- onslaught-to-orsha6.0.vmdx
HoB's Onslaught to Orsha counters in new tab in German & Russian tray

- RbF4.mdx
HOB Recon by Fire #4 captured Russian tank variants in the German OB tray

von Marwitz
The safer bet is to NOT remove anything first. When you run all the extensions together you will see error messages on the culprit extensions. Remove those. Run VASL again. That's it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
To be on the safe side, I have an 'inactive' folder within my 'Extensions' folder in which I keep all the old & ancient stuff - cause you ne'er know...

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have no experience with older extensions like HoB that might have been merged with older BFP extensions. Both Jackson and von Marwitz suggest good operating practices.

The only thing I’ve done is reorganize the BFP extension and added to it their latest two products. I did not delete anything. So if it was in there before, its still in there now.