Singling American advise

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Balance it for the best ASL players and make everyone else raise their game."
Perhaps one of the fundamental truisms of ASL, period...(now if only his baseball positions had that clarity...:scream: only kidding, Bret...:D)

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, the best American armor primer that I have read

Rich

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shootout at Singling is one of my favorite scenarios. Designed by Chaney/Mcgrath, this scenario puts all your armor skills to the test. Unfortunately, this scenario is hopelessly unbalanced pro German when you use my super defence. That's why I always take the Americans for a great challenge. The US should approach on a broad front and keep your tanks together supporting each other like JR said, look for drive by shooting opportunities and check your gun duel numbers to help for a US win.

Great scenario,
Bob

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Shootout at Singling is one of my favorite scenarios. Designed by Chaney/Mcgrath, this scenario puts all your armor skills to the test. Unfortunately, this scenario is hopelessly unbalanced pro German when you use my super defence. That's why I always take the Americans for a great challenge. The US should approach on a broad front and keep your tanks together supporting each other like JR said, look for drive by shooting opportunities and check your gun duel numbers to help for a US win.

Great scenario,
Bob
Hi!

While i have not played the one you are talking about, this is for the new mini-HASL that just came out:clown:

I want to thank all for their input this has been a agreat thread!

Thanks!

Peace

Roger

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All right. Maybe we do get the VASL version pushed up the queue :)

I hate how JR says something in 2 words that would take me 10.

iamspamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Great scenario,
Bob

Sorry guys. What is the scenario number for this? I may give it a try when I get back to Tanks.

Jason

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sorry guys. What is the scenario number for this? I may give it a try when I get back to Tanks.
The scenarios that were originally under discussion are the ones that came out with the Operations special edition, especially "Abrams' Charge" [SG1]. "Shootout at Singling" [ASLUG5] was another scenario that probably covered the same battle, although I haven't verified that. It is available for download at http://www.aslwebdex.net/aslwebdex/aslug/aslug.html.

JR

serpico

Reaction score
ASLUG5 you can't even read the US counters.....quality of the scen card is not too good.

Looks interesting though.

Talloaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The time I played this CG as the Germans, I got schooled by the Americans. We both had average dice. We agreed there were only a couple minor tweaks that would have helped on the Germans defensive set up. The American player knew what he was doing and there was very little the Germans could do to stop it. In the first CG date, he even had time to set up at the edge of the hill to annihilate my oncoming reinforcements for the second date. In order to go to a 3rd CG date, the Germans had to take something like 20 hexes of stone buildings back in the 2nd CG date. It was ugly. We thought this was very much a pro-Am CG if balanced for the quality ASL players.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLUG5 you can't even read the US counters.....quality of the scen card is not too good.

Looks interesting though.
try this scan from a copy:

Most folks want to give the US the G2 Balance.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but remember that all Shermans with a 75 MA and any gyro equipped tank has an automatic advantage over the German's vehicles in gun duels.

For example, while I can't quote the exact modifiers I think any sherman that takes on a SPG from outside its covered arc is virtually assured to get the first shot (against the weaker side/rear armour) barring the presence of armour leaders, stuns etc.
Not just against NT vehicles but against Panthers too.
Assuming both are BU and no armour leaders.
A panther turns his turret 1 click for a total of +3. A sherman moves up for a total of +5 halved to +2.5. The panther has to start turning before the Sherman has stopped or he is going to eat an ass shot.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Think gyros and gun duels.
Yeah. Read up on both last night. Interestingly, I've done more GD than I have used tanks with Gyros. Oughta be interesting. Learning experience for both of us, I think.

BD

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. Read up on both last night. Interestingly, I've done more GD than I have used tanks with Gyros. Oughta be interesting. Learning experience for both of us, I think.

BD
The Americans best be confident with that stuff or it will turn into a fiasco.
It gets a little tedious sometimes, move 1 mp, wait, move one, wait (chance to fire or turn), move one, wait, stop, wait, delay one, wait, delay two, wait...FIRE!
Gun duels are some of the best rules in the game. It just takes a few runs throughs to get it down.
Remember motion attempts & limited aim modifiers. My rule of thumb is fire on the 4th mp in view of target.
Remember the CMG is not halved for motion fire on an acquired target and you can only bounding fire from one hex. So if fighting infantry drop an aqui before you fire the MGs.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Be sure to crop the board correctly, it’s not a full sized map, I know from experience.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A friend and I like to write song parodies to ASL themes. Today on FB said friend reminded me that I had written one for Singling, to the tune of 'Wild Thing'. So, because no one asked for it:

SINGLING

Singling

Gotta take buildings
At least it's not raining
Or wet
I said, Singling...

Singling, hard for the GIs
We all know that for sure
Bloody tank fight, yes
Smoke, Gyros

Singling... Sherman tanks burning
Panthers are killing