Is Dashing allowed via a Narrow Street (B31.11)?

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
I thought NO relying on B31.11 "Dashing (A4.63) across/along, as well as routing along, a Narrow Street is NA."

There is also a footnote explaining the rationale: "Footnote #9 DASHING/ROUTING: Dashing across/along a Narrow Street is NA mainly to prevent any conflict between the rules for First Fire vs a Dashing unit and those for Snap Shots. Routing along a Narrow Street is NA because a routing unit may not Bypass (A4.3). " I also draw a distinction between a Road and a Narrow Street, considering them separate terrain to which different rules apply.

But my opponent, who I will be the first to admit is much smarter and far better at the rules than I argued it is allowed. Here is my good faith attempt at summarizing his argument:

Dash applicability: A4.63 "...moves from an non-Open Ground Location on one side of the road directly into the road and then directly into a non-Open Ground Location on the other side of the road..." and B31.1"A Narrow street is is represented by a road depiction overprinting >= one hexside" and B3.11"A unit bypassing along a Narrow Street is always assumed to be on the road within its hex-...". All of this to say a Road exists by definition as well as depiction and therefore a Dash is allowed. I probably mangled that argument and hope he jumps in to present it the way it was intended.

Help me out everyone, it won't be the first time I've played something wrong for years, but is dashing along a Narrow Street allowed?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You quoted the B31.11 language that dashing along or across a narrow street is NA. If you opponent is correct, what does that sentence in B31.11 mean? Your opponent is wrong. the plain language of B31.11 says not allowed.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Surely it's better to cross the road to the other location and suffer a snap shot? Both 1/2 FP but a snap shot is 0 TEM while a DASH can have -2 DRM??

NRB so maybe I'm wrong on that.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, seems an open-and-shut case of a specific rule overriding the general case.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Surely it's better to cross the road to the other location and suffer a snap shot? Both 1/2 FP but a snap shot is 0 TEM while a DASH can have -2 DRM??

NRB so maybe I'm wrong on that.
Exactly.

Just move across the Narrow Street normally, or better even, Assault Move across.
You'll get the Building TEM on the other side and a Snap Shot in the road (Area Fire @ 0 DRM), which is better than a Dash (Area Fire @ -2 DRM) ever could be.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Exactly.

Just move across the Narrow Street normally, or better even, Assault Move across.
You'll get the Building TEM on the other side and a Snap Shot in the road (Area Fire @ 0 DRM), which is better than a Dash (Area Fire @ -2 DRM) ever could be.

von Marwitz
Why did the squad cross the Narrow Street?

To get the chicken on the other side.