What style dice do you use, precision or round cornered?

What style dice do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The ASL superstition thread has veered off into discussions about dice so I thought I'd help Professor Talo with his research and post this poll.

What style dice do you use and why? Are you uncomfortable when your opponent wants to use your dice? Any unusual dice stories are also welcome.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I use the original AH dice that came with SL or in one of the AH modules. One black, one white, one red.
And a 20 sided die to count MP for vehicles.

Once made a trial run of 1000 DRs of the AH dice, and as expected the difference between them, precision dice, and theoretical 'perfect' dice was statistically neglible. Somewhere in this forum, I documented that.

I always use my own dice. Probably carried over from Pen&Paper Roleplaying, where each character had its own set. As such, I don't like others using my set of dice. It also helps to remember one's own last DR.

I don't care what sort of dice my opponent uses as long as he's not using mine and does not attempt to tell me which dice I 'have to use'.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I use the original AH dice that came with SL or in one of the AH modules. One black, one white, one red.
And a 20 sided die to count MP for vehicles.

Once made a trial run of 1000 DRs of the AH dice, and as expected the difference between them, precision dice, and theoretical 'perfect' dice was statistically neglible. Somewhere in this forum, I documented that.

I always use my own dice. Probably carried over from Pen&Paper Roleplaying, where each character had its own set. As such, I don't like others using my set of dice. It also helps to remember one's own last DR.

I don't care what sort of dice my opponent uses as long as he's not using mine and does not attempt to tell me which dice I 'have to use'.

von Marwitz
Interesting about the 20 sided die. Could you explain how it is used?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Interesting about the 20 sided die. Could you explain how it is used?
When somebody stops, you put it on the appropriate side so you don't have to do the "was this 7 or 8.5" dance all the time. I used to use a 30-sided die for the same purpose, but switched to a knitting stitch counter.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
When somebody stops, you put it on the appropriate side so you don't have to do the "was this 7 or 8.5" dance all the time. I used to use a 30-sided die for the same purpose, but switched to a knitting stitch counter.
Knitting stitch counter? Please explain. Used to crochet in my youth but never knitted. ?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Knitting stitch counter? Please explain. Used to crochet in my youth but never knitted. ?
These: https://www.amazon.com/AKOAK-Plastic-Counter-Knitting-Crochet/dp/B01N0OTYRI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=stitch+counter&qid=1603753781&sr=8-5

They go to 99 (yes, that includes 11). Buddy put me on to them in college playing D&D, they've been in my gaming kit ever since. Don't have to look for a die face,* can just set to what you want quickly.

*One reason to use a 20 sider over a 30 sider is if you have a "spin-down" 20 which is intended for counting your life in Magic: The Gathering, rather than a standard 20 sider which is intended to be fairly distributed.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
These: https://www.amazon.com/AKOAK-Plastic-Counter-Knitting-Crochet/dp/B01N0OTYRI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=stitch+counter&qid=1603753781&sr=8-5

They go to 99 (yes, that includes 11). Buddy put me on to them in college playing D&D, they've been in my gaming kit ever since. Don't have to look for a die face,* can just set to what you want quickly.

*One reason to use a 20 sider over a 30 sider is if you have a "spin-down" 20 which is intended for counting your life in Magic: The Gathering, rather than a standard 20 sider which is intended to be fairly distributed.
Interesting, thanks. Maybe others will see this and be intrigued and try it out.

Threads are funny things. You can pick up the most fascinating info that has little to do with the original topic. Good stuff!?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Interesting, thanks. Maybe others will see this and be intrigued and try it out.

Threads are funny things. You can pick up the most fascinating info that has little to do with the original topic. Good stuff!?
Also, 20 siders and especially 30 siders tend to be large. I have a small Plano I call my "every game" box that contains my suction cup doohicky, LOS thread, sniper counters, dice, a few tile spacers, etc. The stitch counter fits much better in there.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I only use precision ball cornered Battledice from Battleschool. Why would I use the cheapest, crappiest dice possible? Just because those are the ones that MMP puts into their mods? Not likely!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Use a 20 sided counting die so the numbers are in sequence vs. have numbers on opposite sides. The one I have is very large, too large but it was the only one at the local game store.
Yeah, that's the spin-down type I was referring to. I liked the 30 better because armored cars, but the spin-down 20 is pretty good. Chris Doary was selling some that were softball sized a few years ago. They're nice because if you start losing, you can just brain your opponent.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, that's the spin-down type I was referring to. I liked the 30 better because armored cars, but the spin-down 20 is pretty good. Chris Doary was selling some that were softball sized a few years ago. They're nice because if you start losing, you can just brain your opponent.
How about this? You'll be the envy of every tournament

Oops forgot the link https://www.amazon.com/CritSuccess-Clicking-Life-Counter-Ring/dp/B012OX0C6M/ref=sxin_9_ac_d_rm?ac_md=2-2-bGlmZSBjb3VudGVyIHJpbmc=-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=life+counter&dchild=1&keywords=life+counter&pd_rd_i=B012OX0C6M&pd_rd_r=dc683313-0d46-4620-8f87-4879681b5ebd&pd_rd_w=XwYJP&pd_rd_wg=KTIWs&pf_rd_p=3d1a8341-be16-45b1-ae3d-ba8c533ec9f0&pf_rd_r=3TMF6D3DRVP37HGCWYDY&psc=1&qid=1603812334&sr=1-3-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Razor edge precision, pips only.

Got tired of waiting for the ball cornered backgammon dice to quit spinning......