Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What would happen if it were woods? L6 wouldn't be a "woods hex", but even that tiny bit of woods graphic crossing the hex-side would be enough to block LOS, no?
I would play it that way.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
G7.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, each marsh hex that is adjacent to ≥ one jungle hex becomes a swamp hex. Swamp is treated as "non-flooded" (B16.6) marsh except as stated otherwise. The effects of a swamp Location are not altered by the water depth of a stream/river. Swamp is never considered to be a Hindrance or Open Ground, or river or mudflat terrain.

L6 is a pond hex correct? Wouldn't that be marsh in the art depictions there?

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Are you saying that that teensy, tiny bit of marsh in L6 doesn't become swamp because L6 is a pond hex, and the rules talk about a marsh hex? That's pretty pedantic, and coming from me, that's saying something :-/

M6 definitely is a swamp hex, and so would surely block LOS going down the length of its hexside. LOS needs to be clear on both sides of the thread, right...?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
B.1 sums it all up. NOTE: L6 is a depression water obstacle. L-1.
Swamp rises 2 levels as obstacle.
If hindrance, no Hindrance DRM, but that isn't the case here.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
And that's often a big difference, often not adhered to with VASL LOS.
Indeed.
Stringing LOS with VASL is a blurry thing.
Some players even get out the physical boards to verify when in doubt.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find it reasonable that any artwork Swamp that extended into another hex (in this case a pond hex) would still be Swamp and not become Marsh at the hex border.

At least that is how I would play it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find it reasonable that any artwork Swamp that extended into another hex (in this case a pond hex) would still be Swamp and not become Marsh at the hex border.

At least that is how I would play it.
I object, the swamp turns into a marsh. It’s a swampy marsh or a marshy swamp just a bit on the marshy side. Enough to remove its swampy nature and declare it a marsh.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The "problem" with artwork becoming marsh is that then the LOS is clear, I think - the Swamp is not visible on both sides of the LOS string (i.e., LOS is not blocked), and marsh is also not visible on both sides - LOS is not Hindered.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The "problem" with artwork becoming marsh is that then the LOS is clear, I think - the Swamp is not visible on both sides of the LOS string (i.e., LOS is not blocked), and marsh is also not visible on both sides - LOS is not Hindered.
I think that is correct... Must be that little freaky, unexpected rivulet that runs in between the Jungle and the Swamp which you can shoot down along unhindered. Actually, I like the idea. Adds something unexpected. Probably, the situations in which this combinations does occur are pretty rare.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What? Are we still talking about the LOS from K4 to M7? The LOS is right down the hexside/centerdots. If it is considered Swamp/Marsh in L6 one would have to be using a tug-of-war rope for a LOS string to not have the art depiction be visible on both sides. If one assumes the artwork for Swamp/Marsh in L6 does not exist because it is a Stream hex the LOS must be open as the LOS runs down the hexside and the depiction that is actually there but isn't does not extend beyond the LOS string.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So what is the call on this? I think a strict interpretation of the rules goes with Klas and the LOS being strangely clear and free of LOS hindrance, however that is hard to imagine.

Our game is now 'in the valley' and that LOS will affect a lot of shots and maybe some rout decisions.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Something along the same lines...
Does the LOS exist from Y4 to Z2?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Interesting....
Since the other hex is -1....the hindrance would be at the -1 level according to the rule.
Since its not a hill, the 10.1 rule doesn't seem to apply.

I'd say after looking at it again....the hindrance is at the lower level.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Something along the same lines...
Does the LOS exist from Y4 to Z2?

View attachment 15270
Yes, as spelled out in B10.2:
"[EXC: A unit may always trace a LOS through a Crest Line in an adjacent hex of lower elevation (15Y4 can fire through Y3 to Y2 and along the Y3-Z3 hexside to Z2 but it cannot fire through Z3 to AA3)] "

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What? Are we still talking about the LOS from K4 to M7? The LOS is right down the hexside/centerdots. If it is considered Swamp/Marsh in L6 one would have to be using a tug-of-war rope for a LOS string to not have the art depiction be visible on both sides.
The art depiction is visible on both sides - but if it's swamp in one hex and marsh in the other, then the same terrain-type isn't. That was my point.

Like e.g., if there was a hexside where grain touches the hexside from one hex, and woods from another - not that I think there any such hexes.