Nano Tape

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anybody used Nano Tape in conjunction with ASL, like for holding boards in place (or maybe even overlays?)? It seems like it could be potentially handy.

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd test it on an old CH map or something that you don't care if it's ruined, first...

Let us know the results, it does sound intriguing! I already use the 'removable' double-sided tape for overlays (good when the game's not going to be set up for days/weeks on end), but something that doesn't leave any chance of a residue/discoloring would be ace.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Has anybody used Nano Tape in conjunction with ASL, like for holding boards in place (or maybe even overlays?)? It seems like it could be potentially handy.
You've made me curious to find out what Nano Tape is. Have not used it personally, but looking at some reviews, I'd rather not dare to put that stuff onto my boards. Some people said that they wanted to fix a picture on wallpaper which either fell off after a while or they had trouble removing the tape without damaging the wallpaper. I wouldn't want to put my boards at risk.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'd follow the advice about testing it first. Even then I'd be careful as the materials used for boards and overlays is unlikely to have been consistent over the years. Good luck and please post your assessment of it.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably want to use the tape on Dolans old Rewisat Ridge map. lol

I'd test it on an old CH map or something that you don't care if it's ruined, first...

Let us know the results, it does sound intriguing! I already use the 'removable' double-sided tape for overlays (good when the game's not going to be set up for days/weeks on end), but something that doesn't leave any chance of a residue/discoloring would be ace.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Using this for years to stick boards and/or overlays together....
View attachment 15201
I have been using the same. You have to be a little careful, though. I got the slightest of damage to one of my Boards, and I have been super careful ever since.

And never allow your opponents to touch them boards???.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have had stains from adhesive left on a CG mapboard. The overlay was on for a few months. I'd love to find something that didn't do that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have had stains from adhesive left on a CG mapboard. The overlay was on for a few months. I'd love to find something that didn't do that.
I think the general experience so far is that if you leave basically any adhesive on for extended periods of time, you will run into trouble. Short periods of time (not exceeding the duration of the scenario you play) sees less peril, be it for the scotch tape that M.Koch mentioned or - at least in my personal experience - Fixogum (sidenote: the price given there for the product is outrageous. It should be available cheaper.)

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
No. But the best solution is 'museum gel'. It's specific purpose is to stick museum artifacts to the surface/each other without damaging the artifact in any way despite years/hundreds of years of usage.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You've made me curious to find out what Nano Tape is. Have not used it personally, but looking at some reviews, I'd rather not dare to put that stuff onto my boards. Some people said that they wanted to fix a picture on wallpaper which either fell off after a while or they had trouble removing the tape without damaging the wallpaper. I wouldn't want to put my boards at risk.

von Marwitz
Please don't put your boards on the wall. The counters all slide right off.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would attempt to find some alternative that does not have a chemical basis. Something along the lines of electrostatic or magnetic attraction.

For example just rub your overlays on a cat and see if it sticks. ??

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would attempt to find some alternative that does not have a chemical basis. Something along the lines of electrostatic or magnetic attraction.

For example just rub your overlays on a cat and see if it sticks. ??
While I was serious about non-chemically based alternatives to adhesives the idea of rubbing them on your cat was just me being a jick. Then I started to wonder if it would work.
I have some desert boards, overlays and plenty of cats. I know where the cats are but only vague notions about the boards and overlays. If I can locate the missing items I will attempt this experiment. No boards, overlays or cats will be harmed or abused in this research. Although I just noticed a fresh scratch on my arm so I can't guarantee the researcher will come through unscathed. ☹

If any other researchers care to try this experiment feel free to do so. The basis of sound scientific experimentation is duplication of results.