VASL6.6.1 Officially Released

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to criticize the malf labels on AFV's. I am sure lots of people will like them, but maybe a counter for malf that we could 'label' similar to the Defensive First/Final fires where you can select the cmg fired, bmg fired, etc would be nice. Thus one counter could mark all malfunctioning weaponry. I suppose it would need 3 states for each weapon. "Normal/Clear", "Malf", "Disabled".

When I malf my AFV weaponry, I malf almost all of it. :)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Not to criticize the malf labels on AFV's. I am sure lots of people will like them, but maybe a counter for malf that we could 'label' similar to the Defensive First/Final fires where you can select the cmg fired, bmg fired, etc would be nice. Thus one counter could mark all malfunctioning weaponry. I suppose it would need 3 states for each weapon. "Normal/Clear", "Malf", "Disabled".

Can you describe your process of malfing your weaponry?
You can't malf the other items without selecting them.
Cntrl-1 can't malf the other items...its impossible as they have other command lines.
Unless you are talking about something completely different....
You can use the OLD counters.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

With a counter at least the malf/dm "circles" will come up

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You might want to check into your Mission Control and some of the other System Preferences if you're using those combos for anything. I couldn't repo CTRL-3 and CTRL-4 not activating the flag.
You are correct. CTRL-3 and CTRL-4 works after I turned off DESKTOP SWITCHING to DESKTOP 3 & 4. All good.

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You have to enable this in the 'Preferences' since VASL v6.6.0. By default, the fuction is turned off.

von Marwitz
Thanks for that but I have a new issue. When I highlight with CTRL-click, the right click popup menu appears.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for that but I have a new issue. When I highlight with CTRL-click, the right click popup menu appears.
That is not an issue. That is a feature. It is meant to happen. That is how you get access to the functionality that appears on the menu. Use left-click.

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That is not an issue. That is a feature. It is meant to happen. That is how you get access to the functionality that appears on the menu. Use left-click.
No - this is happening when I CTRL-LEFT click (to highlight) not RIGHT click

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No - this is happening when I CTRL-LEFT click (to highlight) not RIGHT click
Misunderstood your previous message. Sorry about that.

What kind of machine are you using? Sometimes Macs have issues with certain key combos.

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Misunderstood your previous message. Sorry about that.

What kind of machine are you using? Sometimes Macs have issues with certain key combos.
I am using an iMac running Catalina (10.15.7)

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It's not a new issue anymore. Use VASSAL 3.4.7 with VASL 6.6.1 and COMMAND-Left Click to get the big red circle.
Upgraded to VASSAL 3.4.7 VASL 6.6.1 but issue is worse! CTRL-Left Click to highlight does not show red circle (selected in Preferences) and still displays popup menu

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have never used a Mac, so I am not sure if this makes a difference:

It's not a new issue anymore. Use VASSAL 3.4.7 with VASL 6.6.1 and COMMAND-Left Click to get the big red circle.
Upgraded to VASSAL 3.4.7 VASL 6.6.1 but issue is worse! CTRL-Left Click to highlight does not show red circle (selected in Preferences) and still displays popup menu
I seem to recall that Joel Uckelman has given the explanation that the key-combination has changed to now be in line with some Mac-standards which it had not been before with the effect that one has to 'relearn' this use automated by frequent play.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No - in VASSAL 3.4.6 CTRL-Left Click to highlight shows red circle (when option enabled in Preferences)
The current version is VASSAL v3.4.7, not v3.4.6. And in v3.4.7 changes have been made that I believe are related to your issue:

Changes since 3.4.6
Bug fixes

• 13547: Don’t raise a bug dialog on failure to read an MP3
  • 13546: Change backup Resource directory from temp folder to base folder
  • 13542: Interaction between Move Fixed Distance and Rotate traits has changed between 3.2.17 and 3.4.6
  • 13540: Macs now use Command as modifier key for grid-resizing, setup-stack-moving in Editor
  • 13525: HFS+ stores filenames in NFD, so must check for that variant when loading
  • 13524: Masked card dragged from Player Hand reports differently between 3.2.17 and 3.4.6
  • 13520: Made Command+Click the select/deselect combo for Macs (and Command+Wheel to zoom)
  • 13489: Pieces scaled incorrectly during drags on HiDPI screens on Windows
As I have said, I have never used a Mac. But as far as I understand you have to use COMMAND instead of CTRL for some key combinations since v3.4.7.

von Marwitz