The Agony of Doom, comments and AARs requested

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In the Today In ASL History thread ( which unfounded rumors suggest will be nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in Literature for Historical Game Research) I posted that Fish and I had played that scenario twice one day and had given the Germans the balance both times.

Eagle4ty replied that he was amazed we had given the Germans the balance as the scenario was rated pro German 75% to 80% of the time. My response was that we typically only used balance when both wanted the same side not because we considered a scenario unbalanced. After looking at my SL version I responded that the scenario didn't seem that unbalanced and that I would play the Russians anytime.

I'd like to hear other players opinion of this scenario.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The gun on the Bd 3 hill, Tiger holds the Bd 5 road; fill in the flesh & sinews with '45 German w/PF (have to do some thinking on how to allocate the 'scripties), it's almost game over before the Jadg-Panthers arrive. Best bet for the Russkies is to bust through with infantry on the Bd 5 side before committing much armor to the fight IMHO. (OOPS! I may not be an "other"!) ?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The gun on the Bd 3 hill, Tiger holds the Bd 5 road fill in the flesh & sinews with '45 German w/PF (have to do some thinking on how to allocate the 'scripties), it's almost game over before the Jadg-Panthers arrive. Best bet for the Russkies is to bust through with infantry on the Bd 5 side before committing much armor to the fight IMHO. (OOPS! I may not be an "other"!) ?
You'll always be an " other " in my book and your thoughts and opinions are always valued in the eyes of Captain Bacchus and myself. ???

It does seem as if the Russians don't have time to copulate the canine.?

Definitely a scenario for an aggressive attacker. Possibly why we both wanted the Russians.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In the Today In ASL History thread ( which unfounded rumors suggest will be nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in Literature for Historical Game Research) I posted that Fish and I had played that scenario twice one day and had given the Germans the balance both times.

Eagle4ty replied that he was amazed we had given the Germans the balance as the scenario was rated pro German 75% to 80% of the time. My response was that we typically only used balance when both wanted the same side not because we considered a scenario unbalanced. After looking at my SL version I responded that the scenario didn't seem that unbalanced and that I would play the Russians anytime.

I'd like to hear other players opinion of this scenario.

You can use the following query with google to search GS:

site:gamesquad.com aar "agony of doom"

Here is something (which I have not further reviewed):

More can be found in the ASL Scenario Archive (I think you have to log in):

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You can use the following query with google to search GS:

site:gamesquad.com aar "agony of doom"

Here is something (which I have not further reviewed):

More can be found in the ASL Scenario Archive (I think you have to log in):

von Marwitz
Thanks for the input. Have you played this scenario?

buser333

Reaction score
I agree with Tom (Eagle4ty). Unless the Russians get extremely lucky, this should pretty much be a walkover for the Germans.
I have played it from both sides.

I do agree with your use of balance being used in situations where each opponent wants the same side.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Tom (Eagle4ty). Unless the Russians get extremely lucky, this should pretty much be a walkover for the Germans.
I have played it from both sides.

I do agree with your use of balance being used in situations where each opponent wants the same side.
The Russians are at a disadvantage but do have some assets on their side. They can't be too cautious, IMO, and need to close in quickly. Some nice units for both sides.

I don't want to imply we never considered a scenario unbalanced. As playtesters it was always a factor to be given a lot of attention. One of the notes I came across specifically mentioned how tough Fort McGregor was for the British.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The original is a “Agony of Doom” for the Russians, 90% pro Axis.
Bob the question is would you play it as the Russians? ???

I can't be the only whacko, besides Fish, who wanted to play this as the Russians. ??

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bob the question is would you play it as the Russians? ???

I can't be the only whacko, besides Fish, who wanted to play this ad the Russians. ??
Sometimes you should play a scenario that is crazy unbalanced, take the side the balance doesn't favor and see what you can do. Wtf are you playing the game for if not to challenge yourself? If you lose you can either cop out and say nobody wins as the whoever or say at least I had the cojones to try as the whoever. Set it up again, I'll take the whoever again and give you the balance!!

You may lose again but gain major elan points and be smiled upon by the Grofaz.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes you should play a scenario that is crazy unbalanced, take the side the balance doesn't favor and see what you can do. Wtf are you playing the game for if not to challenge yourself? If you lose you can either cop out and say nobody wins as the or say at least I had the cojones to try. Set it up again, I'll take the [/B] and give you the balance!!

You may lose again but gain major elan points and be smiled upon by the Grofaz. ??????
I did play it, more than once and won as the Russian last time.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Damn you are fast! Was in the middle of editing when you replied. Captain Bacchus was nudging my elbow.

I knew this scenario could be won with the correct attitude and the right mixture of skill and agression. Well done!!????

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Agony of Doom
August 12th, 1981
Germans = Marc Silling
Russians = Darryl
Turn 4B
Darryl wins

Marc was the person who introduced me to Squad Leader

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Agony of Doom
August 12th, 1981
Germans = Marc Silling
Russians = Darryl
Turn 4B
Darryl wins

Marc was the person who introduced me to Squad Leader
Doctor Marc worked at the University of Akron and was in charge of administering the SATs. He hired me to be a proctor where I would check IDs, pass out the materials, whatever was needed. When the students were taking their test we would retreat to the back of the auditorium and play SL! Don't know if the dice rolling distracted the test takers or not. Just another Saturday morning spent playing SL, but getting paid to do it.?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've only played this once. Was the Russians and won. I don't remember much about it, except that lots of death all around.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've only played this once. Was the Russians and won. I don't remember much about it, except that lots of death all around.
It seems that's what has to happen for the Russians to win. Back then I would occasionally write fairly extensive AARs. Glancing over it that appears to be the case. Quick and bloody.