Red October CG-II (RO-CGII)

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Folks. Here is my crappy AAR of RO-CGII; me as the Russian player. I take notes on each session and then write up my thoughts from time to time. I wait until the end of a CG day to post anything. So the text may seem a bit disjointed. I hope you enjoy and that someone finds this useful when researching how to play this CG.

MikeS

2020-07-15:
After much delay (F U Covid) JimP (Eagle02) and I finally started up Red October CG II. We're doing it on VASL rather than FtF for obvious reasons. I much prefer FtF but VASL does has its advantages for such a large map and CG. We're not the fastest players and we only play weekly for 2-3 hours so this will take some time but I'd like to post a quick AAR after each CG day.

I have the Russians and Jim has the Germans. People say this favors the Germans and it probably does. We don't care, as long as we have fun. We wanted to play a CG from Red October and this is the small one at only 5 dates so that's what we went with. I had the map and overlays all laid out before we swapped over to VASL and the map is just beautiful. Cannot wait to play on it.

Day 1: Nov 11th

This is the German's "big day". This is the day they kick some serious ass. So I expect to be have to sit there and just take a licking for Day 1. Hopefully in Days 2-5 I can give a little back; but not today. Day 1 VC are for him to capture >= 20 more stone locations than they started with and I fully expect that to happen. 10 of those need to be in the V22 factory (Marten Ovens). I am defending it but I don't see how I can realistically hold it from the Germans if they want it.

What I want to do is keep open my access to the southern board edge. This is where my reinforcements come in so I need that open. I can lose the north board edge and it doesn't really matter; at least not as far as I can tell. So most of my stuff is in the middle or south part of the board.

(Aside. When I wrote the above I was mistaken. Russians enter in on the East edge for the most part, except for the last 2 land hexes along the river. They "can" enter from column M and greater IF they lose all of the East land hexes. A smart German player will not capture all of the hexes on purpose. :) Read the rules!!!)

Map after all setup:
Turn 1 highlights:
As expected, Jim has this turn all scripted out. There is a lot of Opportunity Fire counters setup so he can blast what he exposes. I see he's got 3 StuGs and they are setup to blast my level 2 units in building GG24. The 1st one misses the Area shot, the 2nd malfunctions his Gun but the 3rd gets a critical hit. The crit kills a 127 and destroys the HMG he was manning. Luckily, the roll had NE on the concealed observer I have in the same hex. He gets a SR down later in the DF phase. But not much shooting and the Germans start to roll in.

North of the V22 building the approach is generally cautious. Not as much in the south side. Once he gets an idea of what's going on, the DC toting half squads come in and start throwing explosives. I get a couple of shots off but for not much in effect. I do make a 548 goes berserk and he jumps into the hex where a DC was placed! Should be an interesting roll for that one.

A good sized German forces moves towards the Hall 10 building. An 8-0 and 238/DC run into my minefield for NE. But then I blast them from my HIP INF gun and get a crit to kill the 238 and break the 8-0. Welcome to Stalingrad!! Other DF shots are also ineffective.

Way in the south, a handful of units creep eastward.

The main attack is on V22 and Hall 10; everything else is just probing as far as I can tell.

I lose more dudes in AF as the German DCs go off and the FTs come out. More units in/near V22 break despite having an effective 9 morale. I don't see how it's possible to hold V22 without putting ALL of your resources into holding it. May be worth exploring some day. :)

For future reference, I take good notes on Jim's turns and crappy notes on my turns. Live with it.

In G1 DF and my half of the turn I get some ACQ counters down from 82mm and 50mm MTRs with spotted fire. I also draw a black card and get a SR down for my 70mm OBA. But otherwise my DF is light. In R1 Prep, the same MTRs do not hit crap so I have lots of ACQ counters out there!

I pull down the OBA in R1 and it manages to break a 548, kill a 238 since it boxcars a NMC and pin a 447. Not bad for a 70mm OBA. But the Stugs got -2 ACQ on my position now. I can only hope the +4 due to fortifying the building is enough to keep the spotters concealed.

I pull the "survivors" from V22 onto manholes. If they can live long enough, I will jump into the sewer in R2 and just cause as much mayhem as possible. In fact, I MUST do that or all of these German troops who just destroyed a whole factory in 1 turn are going to head south and really mess things up.

I do manage to put a hurt on the units attacking Hall 10. He needs to start over on this and I got more units backing up. The Iron Foundry behind it is my Alamo for this CG so I need to put up my biggest fight right here. Still, he's got a power force coming in so it's gonna be a slog (hopefully).

Turn 2 highlights: (2020-07-23, 2020-07-30 and 2020-08-06)
No Air support for Turn 2. I rally no one and he rallies a 238/DC, 548 and 237.

Unfortunately for me, Jim breaks some of my 628s who I want to be sewer rats. This was a long shot anyway but maybe I can rally them and get them into sewers in R2.

We trade a lot of SAN attempts in T2 and as a result the German SAN is reduced to 4 (he purchased to increase to 5) and pinned for G2. Other Prep breaks a 458/MGG and not much else (except for V22 mentioned above). Later in R2, his SAN is again reduced to a 3! So much for the extra SAN he purchased. :)

Still, it is G2 where V22 falls for good. The small number of units that escaped northwards are killed for FTR or in CC, though and 8-1 takes out a 237 in CC. All that is left are 3x628s and a 9-1 in the far eastern corner. But they are in a manhole location and hope to drop into the sewer in R2.

The Germans start moving South from V22 since that is wrapping up. A 458/ATR gets a critical hit on a StuGB that is trying to block route paths to take it out. The same 458 later breaks a 7-0 trying to do the same. Way down south the Germans creep eastward but they do manage to take the S39 (Hall 8a) factory when the last 458 is ambushed and dies in CC. In that same CC I do put more hurt on the main attack in the south as a 527 ambushes a 548 to kill him.

In R2 I manage to SR a 458 and get a 628 back in V22 (in the manhole hex). A 82mm MTR gets a critical hit in Prep to kill a leader and a squad and break another. Most of my Movement is the usual skulking but I do lose a 458/LMG who was trying to Dash away. He originally broke on a 1MC but further shots from a 75 INF on a RoF tear killed him. Same 75 killed another 1/2 squad via double break. Rest of DF was not pretty as 2 more half squads die due to a double break and a 527 and 458 ELR and break.

My dice were cold tonight and Jim's were hot. I got 1 or 2 good rolls, everything else was a 7 or higher (according to the stats on dicebot). Jim's were average or better. Still, it's CG so my dice should come back.

Rest of R2 was standard. I did try a semi-risky move to Advance a concealed 458/LMG onto a 548. I won the Ambush and needed a 7 to CR and rolled an 8. Sigh. Why does CC never work for me! Rat farts! (bzzzzzzzzzz!).

Turn 3 highlights (2020-08-06 and 2020-08-14)
No Air support in Turn 3. 838 and 447 rally for him and nada for me. Only 2 prep shots and 1 finds a dummy stack.

Jim patient on the attack as he know he as time: why lose dudes? I pull out a Reserve unit in the south which breaks a German 447 but the resulting German SAN breaks my 447 in BB20! Otherwise he continues his creep along the board edges and is packing his units in for an assualt on turn 4 or 5.

Biggest thing in G3 for is he revealed his last working StuG to have a 10-2 AL in it. It moves in out and drives into a minefield in Y25. I roll snakes for a 1KIA! So it's immobilized. But I got a INF Gun in Z24 that has been very patient (another StuG earlier bypassed its hex but moved on. That StuG was later killed by the ATR). A German 447 had Assualt moved adjacent earlier.

In DF, I tried firing the 82mm MTR (spotted) but it missed. I then tried a 458/MMG but it rolled boxcars to break the MMG. I figured the INF gun had no choice but to change CA and shoot before the 447 Advanced in. I didn't want to risk loseing the 228 in CC.

I take first shot which is + a lot and miss. Well I'm screwed, might as well Intesive fire. Roll a 10. Sigh. 4 shots at that friggin 447 and not 1 result. Later, the 228 self breaks and runs away. So my little trap almost failed completely. At least the mines stopped the StuG. Only 1 mobile StuG left and its MA iss malfucntioned.

R3: the 70mm OBA comes down in BB30 and does squat. I fix an MMG, recover and LMG and rally no one. Germans rally 2 squads and fix an MMG. The mortars do most of the shooting in Prep. A crit in U12 kills a 237 while a 50mm MTR goes on a massive ROF tear (something like 8 shots) but gets zip for results on the IFT. A 2nd 50mm fires at the same target and rolls a crit on first shot to break a 548. I love Stalingrad. The 76* in Z35 fails to do his job and rolls crappy for zero results.

Movement is skulking or running away. I get the sewer platoon to V17 okay, though. DF is mostly Jim shooting up my remaining dummies.

Turn 4 highlights (2020-08-13, 2020-08-20):

The Luftwaffe shows up in German 4. Four, count em four Stukas show up. Sigh. At least a 467 rolls boxcars in the Rally phase to CR. Very little Prep and only result is a pinned 458/ATR.

The German hordes keep moving east as the main focus is now the Z35 (Hall 10) factory. A DC get placed on Z35 as all shots, including from the 76* fail to score a result. Lucky for me a crappy roll for no result in Advancing Fire Phase. I reveal my 76L ART in W43 but then roll a 10 to miss and lose concealment. The last mobile StuG, alas with a busted MA, overruns a 447 in DD26 but I immobilize in with Reaction Fire. Later kill him in CC.

In DF I break the crew of a 150 INF gun in W15 but not before he smoked in my .50call in BB10 level 2. I reveal a HIP 458/LMG in S26 but he rolls an 11 on the attack to break the LMG and breaks in Advancing Fire. Wuss. I lose a 228 due to FTR but as mentioned I killed the StuG in CC to finish up G4.

R4:
I rally 1. Germans rally a lot. At least that means I broke a bunch of them. :) I try to see if my 82mm MTR in the middle has any Smoke rounds and he does not. Then the OBA observer cannot get the radio to work. He was getting Tokyo Rose in earlier but now nothing (rolled snakes on radio contact in G1). Sunspots I guess. I start to see a trend for the few nights where I start off with really cold dice. Tonight my first 4 rolls were 9, 9, 12 and 12. Sigh. For the rest of Prep fire I break a 447 on an NMC, and break a 9-1, 548 and 838 with the 76* INF gun in Hall 10. I IF it to break the remaining 548 and get a warm Russian SAN to pin another dude. Glad to see that gun is starting to earn his pay.

A 458/LMG goes on a mini ROF tear to break a 548 but breaks the LMG on the 3rd roll. The 76L ART misses, again and break a 838 and 238 in Hall 10. So not too bad.

My Movement is skulking, hiding or running away; but as safely as possible. In DF the Stukas come out. First fails the Sighting TC, second pases and strafes for NE. Third finds the MMG in AA41, strafes to pin and then gets a critical hit with the bomb. I think they found the sergent's watch somewhere in the Artic. That's what happens when the result is 7KIA. Oh, and now we have shellholes. Weeeee! Last Stuka strafes and bombs BB40 for NE.

The rest of the turn is uneventful though I do kill a 237 in CC. Overall, not a horrible turn for the Russians. Still, I hope turn 5 is the last turn. :)

Turn 5 highlights: (2020-08-20, 2020-08-27)

German 5:
FYI, my notes get lighter here as the modifiers on my PMC keep going up and it's hard to write stuff down. :)

Germans rally a bunch of stuff and every HOB a 9-1 to a 9-2. I rally 1 full and 1 half squad.

Prep starts off with the 10-2 StuG getting a crit to vaporize a 458/MMG. He was the last unit really protecting the GG24 building from ground attack. Germans take some shots to DM visible, busted Russains and break a 527 in BB33 (NMC).

The Germans move in on the slag heap but cautiously. He is moving in on all of my forces but the main action is still on Hall 10. His forces build up and creep there way forward and past Hall 10 into the Iron Foundry area. My few First Fire shots are ineffective. Only managed to break a 548 and pin a 238 in DF. More Russians break in AF. The stream roller is in full motion and my best hope is an early end to the CG day.

I only rally a 426 while the Germans rally a bunch in R5. The Z35 Gun does some damage but will be swamped next turn. The Stukas continue to reap havoc in DF as 2 more units are just blown away. My hope falters he rolls a 6 to give us a Turn 6.

Map after 4.5 turns:
Turn 6 highlights: (2020-09-02)

Germans rally a couple of guys and I have a 458 go berserk. Nice knowing you, Comrade. German prep encircles a 458 trying to hold the Trench connecting Hall 10 to the Iron foundry and pins an adjacent 527. The concealed spotter in GG25 is revealed by a 1MC but makes the check. And an already broken 447 dies as he gets shot up some more.

The southern coy pretty much must Assualt Moves up. Along the southern board edge they get up to U48. What I call the "middle platoon (3x548)" takes hexes in the CC19 area. The assault on Hall 10 contines in earnest as many 838s move in and a DC is placed on the Z35 Gun. Everyone else keeps moving up.

I break a 548/LMG and a 237 in DF but malf a LMG in the process. In AF, the DC gbreaks the 228 manning the Gun. At least it took 6 turns for them to capture that building. I lose a 226 and 527 in CC as both are ambushed (in different hexes).

Russian 6:
I rally some and the Germans rally some and fix an LMG.

I finally get radio contact in prep but draw a red card. My .50cal up north takes some shots but is useless. At least it doesn't break. Movement is a disaster as a 458 gets KIA'd and at least 3 more squads break as I am in full retreat now. The Iron foundry has fallen so trying to reach the gutted tank farm. More squads are lost in DF. Nothing happens in AF. Another 458 dies in CC but takes a 237 with him.

PMC mods are high and to top it off, he rolls a 5 so we play another turn. Sigh.

Turn 7 highlights: (2020-09-10)

More Germans than Russian rally. The Russians are mostly dead.

The 127 manning the .50cal breaks on a 1MC and a 527 breaks down in the Iron Foundry area. The Germans move in on what's left in the Iron foundry area. What few Russians remain will be forced to route away. Also moving in on the tank farm area. I do manage to break a 457 on a 2 flat shot and pin a 338/FT that tries to move through the residual FP.

I acutually draw a black card for my OBA but not sure if I'll really get to use it. I break another 467 in DF. The Germans break a Russian 9-1 and 447 in AF but a Hot Russian SAN breaks a 237 and a warm Russian SAN kills a 6+1. A 458 dies for failure to route. I lose a 228 and 237 in CC.

Russian 7:
I rally no one and Germans rally a lot. :) I immediately lose radio contact in Prep so there goes any thought of 1 last OBA round. Prep is N/E. Movement is running away and he Stukas break an 8-0. In DF the last Good Order units in the Iron foundry break. A 458/LMG breaks up north and then I just cannot take it any more so I stop recording stuff. :) Another 447 dies in Route for FTR and but we roll a '5' to finally end the CG day!

Map at the end:
Refit (2020-09-15):
I did not recoord everything but here are some tidbits:

What survived on the Russian side.
9-1 x4 (1 bh to 9-2)
8-0
7-0 x2
228 x3
458 x7
447 x8
628 x3
.50cal
MMG
LMG x2
ATR x2
50mm MTR x2
82mm MTR x2
76L ART

I amassed: 34 CVP
Germans amasssed 83 CVP

11.6112 MMC BH
-1 Russian, -1 per 20 CVP ammassed.
Roll = 10 -2 = 8 = nada

11.6113 Leader BH
Roll = 3. 9-1 BHs to 9-2.

11.6122 SAN adjustment.
No mode.
Roll = 2. No adjustment

LMG repair. Roll = 2 to repair

11.616: CPP replenimshment
Historical DRM fo 11/12 = +0 for Russian
Suffered 83 CVP = -4 DRM
Roll = 11 = 7 = +15

11.617 NO ELR loss/gain

11.618 Weather and EC:
No DRMs
Roll = 10 = Clear & Gusty

EC:
-1 drm for Nov
Roll = 1 -1 = 0 = Wet

Measly amount of CPP for Day 2. Oh well.

Apologies for the qualities of the images. Made them small to fit in the post.

Discuss. :)

MikeS

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I usually use GIMP to crop things up and lower the quality but I was just being lazy. :)

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I see where you lost.......seems you only had one company in Hall 4, I placed a Russian assault coy, and 1st line elite in Hall 4 used the FPP to get as many fortified location as I could, then fortified every hex of the Hall 4, that plus 4 makes a huge difference. I als fortified the slag mound. Doing that will help defend the northern side of Hall 4. I kept my units closer, and did not defend the northern and southern edges. I used the building to the east edge, the slag mound to guard that flank. Lightly defended the furthest hall, but heavily defended the second hall, and the white house area then ensured no one could move up the or dowbn the shore. The russian needs Hall 4 and the tunnel that runs from the shoreline.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting, thanks for the reply!

I still don't see how the Russians can hold Hall 4. With 2 coys in there that means pretty much every hex has a Russian it. By SSR the Hall is roofless. Just more targets for the Germans I would think. Fortifying would help I guess b/ they would have to break someone of breach it. But with at least 4 coys, including engineers, that can setup adjacent, I think it would still fall by turn 5 at the latest.

Can you fortify Rubble? That is, how can you fortify the slag mound? I did see that as an important landmark but I didn't know you could fortify it.

What tunnel to the shoreline? Are we talking about the same CG? :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The slag mound can be fortified with wire, trenches, mines and pillboxes.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, I thought we were talking about fortified building locations. :)

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting, thanks for the reply!

I still don't see how the Russians can hold Hall 4. With 2 coys in there that means pretty much every hex has a Russian it. By SSR the Hall is roofless. Just more targets for the Germans I would think. Fortifying would help I guess b/ they would have to break someone of breach it. But with at least 4 coys, including engineers, that can setup adjacent, I think it would still fall by turn 5 at the latest.

Can you fortify Rubble? That is, how can you fortify the slag mound? I did see that as an important landmark but I didn't know you could fortify it.

What tunnel to the shoreline? Are we talking about the same CG? :)
The western half will fall, by turn two-three, but the eastern half can be held. I put the 6 4-5-8 squds in the western half, but the eastern half I put everything else, the hall 4 walls can be fortified so +4 tem. There is a interior wall that can be used to funnel troops form the west to east.As a russian player I placed a set DC just to the west side of the entrance. On the east side I placed a 76L Art piece a HMG with crew, 6-2-8 and a 9-2 leader. The building to the north I placed 4-5-8s and a MMG LMG and ATRS, plus my artillery observer. You need to hold that hall, the sewer(tunnel) runs from the finger gully to Hall 4 and your re-inforcements come from the beach area near the finger gully. so you can move troops from the beach to hall 4 w/o being seen. Currently playing the CG, so far turn 5 and still hold the east side of the hall. YOU need to hols the chimney hexes to get the 1-3 activation for snipers. Also bump up the russian sniper value to 6 or 7, and watch your snipers run free. I broke a company just with sniper attacks. 3 x wounded SMC, and 5x 8-3-8 and 2x 5-4-8, all on the west side.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The western half will fall, by turn two-three, but the eastern half can be held. I put the 6 4-5-8 squds in the western half, but the eastern half I put everything else, the hall 4 walls can be fortified so +4 tem. There is a interior wall that can be used to funnel troops form the west to east.As a russian player I placed a set DC just to the west side of the entrance. On the east side I placed a 76L Art piece a HMG with crew, 6-2-8 and a 9-2 leader. The building to the north I placed 4-5-8s and a MMG LMG and ATRS, plus my artillery observer. You need to hold that hall, the sewer(tunnel) runs from the finger gully to Hall 4 and your re-inforcements come from the beach area near the finger gully. so you can move troops from the beach to hall 4 w/o being seen. Currently playing the CG, so far turn 5 and still hold the east side of the hall. YOU need to hols the chimney hexes to get the 1-3 activation for snipers. Also bump up the russian sniper value to 6 or 7, and watch your snipers run free. I broke a company just with sniper attacks. 3 x wounded SMC, and 5x 8-3-8 and 2x 5-4-8, all on the west side.
That is all very interesting, thank you!

So I am guessing you didn't defend the southern part of the map at all?

With 12 CPP points to start one could buy 2 reserve coys (447s) and have 4 points left over for SAN, OBA and more FPP points. Or buy 2 and have them enter from offboard for 10 points and have 2 points left for SAN and OBA?

I hope you are killing a lot of the enemy. The Russians are so overwhelmed for troops that must be a big part too I would think. :)

Thanks,
MikeS

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The hall furthest away from Hall 4 I put a platoon in it, but the second southern hall I have turned into a fortress, the buildings by the White House are occupied, the slag mound is fortified, so it I have not really defended the southern part, or northern part. To much to defend not enough troops.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hall furthest away from Hall 4 I put a platoon in it, but the second southern hall I have turned into a fortress, the buildings by the White House are occupied, the slag mound is fortified, so it I have not really defended the southern part, or northern part. To much to defend not enough troops.
He who defends everything, defends nothing.;)

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
He who defends everything, defends nothing.;)
I think that is why people do not like the CG they try to defend everything. The Russians realized HALL 4 was the lynchpin and only defended what they could. The slag mound was also a lynchpin position, and heavily defended. Players need to read the CG to understand the historical intent. That is why the CG is what they call a "dog" of a CG. The game is lost when the russian side does not try to defend the hall.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is all very interesting, thank you!

So I am guessing you didn't defend the southern part of the map at all?

With 12 CPP points to start one could buy 2 reserve coys (447s) and have 4 points left over for SAN, OBA and more FPP points. Or buy 2 and have them enter from offboard for 10 points and have 2 points left for SAN and OBA?

I hope you are killing a lot of the enemy. The Russians are so overwhelmed for troops that must be a big part too I would think. :)

Thanks,
MikeS
Nope, 1 x 4-5-8 coy, SAN 6, Molotov cocktails, 120mm Arty +observer w radio / and THE KV tanks ( dug in = 1/2 points) and a hockey sock of FPP points.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think that is why people do not like the CG they try to defend everything. The Russians realized HALL 4 was the lynchpin and only defended what they could. The slag mound was also a lynchpin position, and heavily defended. Players need to read the CG to understand the historical intent. That is why the CG is what they call a "dog" of a CG. The game is lost when the russian side does not try to defend the hall.
Nope the CG is lost when you pick the Russian side and it is a dog. It is of course better to concentrate your forces in key easily defendable areas than spread them out. But it just means you lose at a slower rate.

The reason is the Germans have too great a numerical superiority on the first date and the Russians only get 12CPP. German troop quality and firepower advantages do the rest.

Show me a Russian win against other than a newb.....

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can't stress MOL cap. enough, also like the dug-in AFVs regardless of the type (those 45's are still deadly & the MGs are a pain) all dirt cheap.
The dug in KV, is nasty..with a 14 for armor, and the 76L plus mgs, a small target modifier, and the fact the a hull hit = a miss,plus you can HIP it in concealment terrain means it is a good area denial weapon. combine with a platoon of infantry and a MMG = crew makes it real tough to deal with.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The dug in KV, is nasty..with a 14 for armor, and the 76L plus mgs, a small target modifier, and the fact the a hull hit = a miss,plus you can HIP it in concealment terrain means it is a good area denial weapon. combine with a platoon of infantry and a MMG = crew makes it real tough to deal with.
They have their uses but you can only buy one KV platoon of two (possibly one) tanks and two T-34 platoons for the entire campaign. It's very hard to find the CPP on the 1st date. You really need to be buying 3 infantry companies with your 12 CPP. Ignoring depletion base numbers are 80 German vs 33 Russian squads plus whatever reinforcements/reserves both sides buy. So probably 24 German as reinforcements. A KV has one MG and one Gun attack per turn - against that number of Germans that's not going to be decisive and it's debatable if losing an infantry company or say changing an infantry Coy as reinforcements to a SMG Coy in reserve is worth it.

As the Germans I'd take them out with Stukas or simply Smoke them in and then CC or flamethrower them.

Out of curiosity what do you think the optimum Russian first date buys are?
I went for Rifle Coy (5) 2 SMG Coys in reserve (6) and 80mm OBA (1).

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Folks. Thanks for the lively conversation!

We just wrapped up Day 2 and I conceded at the end. I was forced to attack out of the south and made a push for the factories but was not able to reach them in time. He was weak down there so it was the best plan. I could have executed better but I think our game was already shot with my poor showing in Day 1. We may start over or we may play Men of Steel instead. Not sure yet. If we start over I will try the suggestions listed here.

Thanks again!

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, 1 x 4-5-8 coy, SAN 6, Molotov cocktails, 120mm Arty +observer w radio / and THE KV tanks ( dug in = 1/2 points) and a hockey sock of FPP points.
Don't see the math:
Guards Rifle Coy = 9 (8 in Reserve)
Sniper +1 = 1
Molotov Cocktails = 2
120 OBA = 3
KV tanks dug-in = 2

That's 17 or 16 CPP

Swapping in a regular Coy (447s) works if they are in Reserve
Rifle Coy = 5 (4 in Reserve)
Sniper +1 = 1
Molotov Cocktails = 2
120 OBA = 3
KV tanks dug-in = 2

= 13/12 CPP

And only get the OB given 85 FPPs.

:)

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI, we're gonna restart. I will try to use lessons learned from this thread to make Stalin proud. Wish me luck. :)