Would you do it?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If it is a 2nd edition of a product of which I own the 1st edition only, then I might consider it. Otherwise no.

Yanks 2 was a no-brainer because I wanted the superior die-cut counters to replace the old 'rectangles' of Yanks 1.

I do have two copies of the ASLRB v2 with the reasoning that after years of use the pages might get worn and torn. But since I am using mostly an eASLRB now, the second copy would not have been necessary.

Theoretically, one could consider buying a second copy and wait until it goes out of print to sell it then at a good price. The past has shown that this way - with a lot of patience - it might be possible to finance the hobby of ASL by reducing its net-cost to zero. Too much fuss for me, though.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I had all the original Core modules back in the day, but I've been buying the new editions since I came back to the hobby in 2016 - mostly for the better quality of new counters, and to update my scenario collection. Also as a way to support the hobby, probably.

Once I tried to resell the older version, but it meant I had to track down all the original contents. Lots of work. I might have to give them away instead, so as not to have the pressure to provide a 100% complete set :) (but until MMP release their Overlay kit, I'm keeping those from CdG1)

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only started buying new versions when my old ones, that have served me well since 1986+, began looking very worn. I missed picking up RS but have BV, Yanks, AoO and CdG. During the quarantine I added/replaced at least 5000 new counters to my set. Those new counters look nice. Now I just need to figure out what to do with thousands of worn, but still usable Germans, Russians, US, French and Minors. I don't have the heart to just throw them away. I may find a local new guy to give them to.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Now I just need to figure out what to do with thousands of worn, but still usable Germans, Russians, US, French and Minors.
Include them in a travel set? That way, of there is damage due to transportation (or luggage lost by the airplane company), the harm will be lesser...

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
I have just got some new funds and I am wondering if it is worth spending some of them on 2nd copies of ASL modules. The modules in question are CdG2, Konigsberg and OtO2. In total the amount would be about £400. A lot of money for three modules which I have one copy of already. Would you be tempted to spend that on 2nd copies?
The assumption is (since they are second copies) is that you are expecting them to increase in value. There is no way you are going to play Konigsberg or OtO enough to wear them out. If you spray counters (does anyone do this anymore?), you aren't going to wear out CdG French either. Konigsberg (which contains Swastikas, so everyone is fully informed) to me seems like FB light, with a lot of unnecessary complications, so the replay value is pretty low. I would expect that second hand copies will be available at low prices. If CdG2 remains shrink wrapped and goes out of print, it may go up in value. The BF people are reasonably good about keeping their stuff in print, so OtO probably won't get a market squeeze in terms of supply for a long time.

However, the real issue is the age of the community. If young people don't start heavy boardgaming, the second hand market is going to get flooded with supply. The only thing that ever seems to have an unlimited up side is Black SS stuff.

As an investment, 400 pounds seems about right. However, since the pound seems destined for a near-future ass kicking, maybe its a slight bargain. On the other hand, shipping to get it out to someone buying in foreign currency is going to eat up about 20% of the value.

Instead, buy Hob Nobs and figure out how to ship them to me in France, as we are already in short supply and prices are already up 25%.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
It is not so much an investment. I would put the counters and maps to use for my homemade CGs. in the end I did buy 2nd copies of all those modules mentioned above and Fight For Seoul too. I will be using the HASL maps for long hypothetical CGs and the extra counters too. I had a long and hard think about what else I could spend the money on. In the end my conclusion was that I would get more pleasure from these 2nd copies than anything else. I am old, free and single. No car. etc. My commitments are not to heavy.

Last edited:

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Include them in a travel set? That way, of there is damage due to transportation (or luggage lost by the airplane company), the harm will be lesser...
My set is the travel set. I transport it three times a year when I host Museumfest and to ASLOK. My kit is available for the local gang to use at these events.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
My set is the travel set. I transport it three times a year when I host Museumfest and to ASLOK. My kit is available for the local gang to use at these events.
I tried. I failed. ?