King of the Monster Scenarios?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I admit that my whole ASL philosophy may be different. I do not pick a scenario because of my chances of winning. I'll choose a scenario because of the potential for fun. I win every time--even when I lose--just playing this wonderful game is another great memory and that for me is always the reward.
If anyone is up for a monster at ASLOK 2021 feel free to let me know.
This is my philosophy also! You are a happier gamer if you follow it.

I can't remember picking a scenario because I thought I would win it. Always more about if it looked fun or had some interesting aspect or challenge to it.

Was obsessed with getting tank across the river on kleine grosse flosse (?) In Dinant Bridgehead. Could care less about winning the scenario, had to get that tank across. Good times!!!

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps it is because I playtested this a few times I love it so. The US take a slow approach with infantry doing a lot of land grabbing. Patience with all of that armor is also key, lest you lose a lot of tanks early. That King Tiger on the hill has to be kept under smoke (or pound it with HE) and make the Germans move his armor. With several of the vehicles out of gas you can make him run the risk of losing more mobility as he tries to counter your attack direction then look for flank shots. Bazooka teams need to get close enough to add to this pressure.
What makes it my favorite is that there is no mist--a rarity for the KGP series--and it uses the entire, beautiful map. And there are a LOT of counters to move around.
I don't dispute the ROAR stats but take those stats with a grain of salt--and maybe some lime in my tequila! The other favorite I have is Breakout from Borisov and most of us know what ROAR says about that as well.
I admit that my whole ASL philosophy may be different. I do not pick a scenario because of my chances of winning. I'll choose a scenario because of the potential for fun. I win every time--even when I lose--just playing this wonderful game is another great memory and that for me is always the reward.
If anyone is up for a monster at ASLOK 2021 feel free to let me know.
This is one of the finest posts I've seen on the forum. It's great to figure out rules challenges and the like but passing on an attitude about gaming, and life, like this is so important. Well done you !

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Beast at Bay decades ago. My partner was better than I, winning more often. He played the US and was doing pretty well, but then he committed his armor. As soon as there were multiple targets I started killing them and won by the CVP cap VC. We figured that if the US hid his armor, the US had a good chance of winning the game.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There are a ton of great monster scenarios. "God Save The King" from ABtF. "Baraque De Fraiture". "119" from Uncommon Valor. "The Last Bid". "The First Bid". "Beast At Bay". The War Oboe pack. "The Ring" from AP1. "American Tragedy" from J3 set on the Kakazu Ridge map. "Flying Turrets". "Breakout From Borisov". "Clearing The Breskens Pocket". "Hill 621". The Omaha Beach scenario from CH. Plus stacks more which I cannot remember right now.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Beast at Bay decades ago. My partner was better than I, winning more often. He played the US and was doing pretty well, but then he committed his armor. As soon as there were multiple targets I started killing them and won by the CVP cap VC. We figured that if the US hid his armor, the US had a good chance of winning the game.
Yep, the Americans MUST be patient and swarm with the infantry while using OBA and mortars to pound and look for some CHs and other lucky low dice rolls.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I will go with Sowchos 79 and Hill 621 are well balanced, killer, large scenarios and Breakout from Borisov for a true monster, I won the 2 former and lost the later but awesome ASL experiences from all.

As for a recent Dispatch scenario, Hill 700 is big, bloody good PTO fun.

Perhaps my most insane playing ever was in The Last Bid, that freaking OT-34 came on and must have got 6 or 7 seven shots with its FT, and never rolled high enough to disable the damn thing. Wiped out a 10-2 firebase in one blast, killed a Stug 150 with another.

Helped save the scenario for the Russians, who were in grave peril until these Heroes of the Soviet Union showed up.

Another great ASL memory and thank god for the occasional monster scenario in my life where a couple bad dice rolls don't ruin the game, Vic.

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Hey Brian!

Remember that HUGE scenario of yours we playtested during one of the few ASLOKs I had the chance to attend? I think you tried 18 times for Smoke ;)

As you already know, I definitely stick to your philosophy!

Cheers,

X

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Kicking this back up. Tim Niesen was looking for a monster module to play until Manila released. Maybe something here that they would like.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If "best" monster is the goal then I would go with either Clearing the Breskens Pocket or Breakout from Borisov with an honourable mention to Sowchows 79
The discussion started to revolve around what I meant by King of the Monster Scenarios, largest or best. Truth be told I don't know that myself. I suppose I would have to lean with largest if I had to pick. It's an easier determination. Best requires playing a lot of Monsters and I'm not sure enough people play enough of them to make a good choice. Interesting to hear different opinions on the matter.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The discussion started to revolve around what I meant by King of the Monster Scenarios, largest or best. Truth be told I don't know that myself. I suppose I would have to lean with largest if I had to pick. It's an easier determination. Best requires playing a lot of Monsters and I'm not sure enough people play enough of them to make a good choice. Interesting to hear different opinions on the matter.
Breakout from Borisov I actually played, in its COI form, and it was at the least manageable. Despite my desire to play the Breskens Pocket scenario, it just seemed far too big, and at the time, had way too many annoying terrain alterations. They weren't all that hard to visualize - those brown hill splotches became ground level mud, which almost makes some sense - but still threatened to take way more mental discipline than I was able to muster to keep it all straight.

Sowchos 79 I don't recall playing - but in retrospect, ALL the COI scenarios seem like monsters to me now. The Capture of Balta I enjoyed because of the inclusion of Romanians. It was only two boards, but 30 (!) Russian squads. The convoy out of Hube's Pocket, the Paw of the Tiger - anything that took place over 3 boards is much larger than anything I've played in recent years, either because scenarios tend to be smaller, or there is simply far more of them to choose from and my tastes gravitate to single board matchups of short duration.

The COI scenario cards are here - note the number of four board scenarios. Borisov was notable for having five, at that time the theoretical limit of the system because that's all there were!

Original Squad Leader - Cross of Iron Scenarios (wordpress.com)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Breakout from Borisov I actually played, in its COI form, and it was at the least manageable. Despite my desire to play the Breskens Pocket scenario, it just seemed far too big, and at the time, had way too many annoying terrain alterations. They weren't all that hard to visualize - those brown hill splotches became ground level mud, which almost makes some sense - but still threatened to take way more mental discipline than I was able to muster to keep it all straight.

Sowchos 79 I don't recall playing - but in retrospect, ALL the COI scenarios seem like monsters to me now. The Capture of Balta I enjoyed because of the inclusion of Romanians. It was only two boards, but 30 (!) Russian squads. The convoy out of Hube's Pocket, the Paw of the Tiger - anything that took place over 3 boards is much larger than anything I've played in recent years, either because scenarios tend to be smaller, or there is simply far more of them to choose from and my tastes gravitate to single board matchups of short duration.

The COI scenario cards are here - note the number of four board scenarios. Borisov was notable for having five, at that time the theoretical limit of the system because that's all there were!

Original Squad Leader - Cross of Iron Scenarios (wordpress.com)
Going through a notebook the other day I came across notes for Clearing the Breskins Pocket setup or initial notes. No notes on actually playing it.

Played all the others multiple times! Great stuff!! Love lots of boards.

Almost in the same vein really liked Timoshenko's Attack! Liked the variant using the Irish: Tim O' Shenko's Attack too.😉

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never played it, but I have had a fascination with Clearing the Breskins Pocket since I first came across it posted on the internet in late 1990s.

I just bought the Rivers to Reich scenario pack, and to my delight I found the official MMP version. Of course, as I don't have a regular playing partner (I wouldn't have time to play it anyway), it will have to remain on my fantasy list. But given I have played a few HASLs, notably VOTG, its size is really not that intimidating.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My candidate is Clearing the Breskins Pocket, 18 turns, 16 boards and the units from two previous scenarios, 10 artillery modules and air support. This was the Rogue Scenario version, not sure how it was modified for ASL.

This scenario begs to be played on VASL. Could VASL support it?

What is your choice for King of the Monster Scenarios? Not campaign game.
VASL supports full on CG'S. There are no limitations on it.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL supports full on CG'S. There are no limitations on it.
Which sounds like a good way to go, especially when you have a cat!

Unfortunately, Java doesn't seem to like my computer. I am working on that.