Advance into a location for CC and are broken by your own OBA

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure we played this right so any help appreciated please.

I advance a Russian squad into a building hex to CC a German officer. The building is under fire from my Russian OBA. The Russian squad is attacked as it has moved into the OBA and fails its morale check (despite having +5 cover:rolleyes: ).

Do we roll for ambush in the CC? A11.4 reads like you do roll. Presumably I have to take the CC as the rout phase has been and gone. Do I have to attempt to withdraw? A11.16 reads like they have to withdraw.

What is the correct way of playing this situation please? Did we get it right? It is not a situation that happens very often..................

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Them boys musta been carrying some hateful grudge against that German officer.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Not sure we played this right so any help appreciated please.

I advance a Russian squad into a building hex to CC a German officer. The building is under fire from my Russian OBA. The Russian squad is attacked as it has moved into the OBA and fails its morale check (despite having +5 cover:rolleyes: ).

Do we roll for ambush in the CC? A11.4 reads like you do roll. Presumably I have to take the CC as the rout phase has been and gone. Do I have to attempt to withdraw? A11.16 reads like they have to withdraw.

What is the correct way of playing this situation please? Did we get it right? It is not a situation that happens very often..................
Joe I hope you responded to the how many scenarios do you play a year poll since it appears you play lots more than most who responded. Well done you and your opponents!!!?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Also be aware that units have their morale lowered by one while within the blast area of a friendly FFE (C1.54).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
He was in a victory condition hex and they wanted to make an example of him
Instead, the German officer - in the finest Prussian tradition - made an example of his would-be attackers by making a heroic stand while under heavy artillery fire by holding the key position all by himself. A recommendation for an Iron Cross might be in order.

von Marwitz

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Russians often had to remember Commissars had their backs.... move along boys I'm right behind you..its just artillery. Click.....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing Jeff DeYoung in Beaufort's Feast (SP186) a while back I had to make an assault with French troops into & thru a building with my own arty falling in/around it to secure a VC. Off the top of my head I can't remember the OBA caliber but it was a desperation move for sure. Sometimes it just pays to be lucky (and desperate enough to be junkyard dog crazy).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yes, you still roll for Ambush, but no you can't declare a Withdrawal attempt - that can only be done when there's a Melee.
If teh broken unit ambushes...can he withdraw from CC? Any Infantry (unless pinned/berserk/ Disrupted) that is part of a force which has qualified for Ambush has the option to decline CC altogether, prior to CC resolution

LOL I guess so...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, even TI units can Withdraw, IIRC.
That would certainly be a stretch to have it interpreted that way as TI isn't removed until the end of the CCPh (after Step 8.45B ASOP) and not the end of a CC (Step 8.24 for Withdrawal from Melee or after Step 8.31B for the end os a Location's CC).

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That would certainly be a stretch to have it interpreted that way as TI isn't removed until the end of the CCPh (after Step 8.45B ASOP) and not the end of a CC (Step 8.24 for Withdrawal from Melee or after Step 8.31B for the end os a Location's CC).
Agreed, but that's not what the rule says - it doesn't mention TI in the CC section at all.

Think a Perry Sez should clear it up, though, cuz it sure seems like TI should be like Pin here.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Already been asked before:
A4.8 & A11.2
May a TI unit withdraw?
A. Yes.

..a TI leader can also voluntary rout:
A4.8 & A10.711 Can a TI Leader Voluntary
Rout?
A. Yes. [Letter267]

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
A4.8 & A11.2
May a TI unit withdraw?
A. Yes.

Rout?
A. Yes. [Letter267]
Yet a pinned leader may not rout.
I guess TI is based on TASK vs actually getting shot at and "pinned" down.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess it comes down to a choice of words and proper rules annotations for the Q&A. I would have guessed A11.22 Infiltration (which is also called withdrawal within the rule itself and not to be confused with the actual Withdrawal from Melee A11.2) is what the Q&A addressed. In as much as I cannot envision a situation where a unit already in Melee is able to become TI, I believe the rules annotation in the Q&A for A11.2 is perhaps in error and do not see a reference to A11.41 Ambush Withdrawal at all only A11.2, a different situation entirely and therefore not covered by the Q&A.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yeah TI for CC doesn't seem to be easily done.
Only sniper check, but you'd be desperate to do that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A4.8 & A11.2
May a TI unit withdraw?
A. Yes.

Rout?