Would you do it?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have just got some new funds and I am wondering if it is worth spending some of them on 2nd copies of ASL modules. The modules in question are CdG2, Konigsberg and OtO2. In total the amount would be about £400. A lot of money for three modules which I have one copy of already. Would you be tempted to spend that on 2nd copies?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have just got some new funds and I am wondering if it is worth spending some of them on 2nd copies of ASL modules. The modules in question are CdG2, Konigsberg and OtO2. In total the amount would be about £400. A lot of money for three modules which I have one copy of already. Would you be tempted to spend that on 2nd copies?
Ask yourself: what enjoyment would you really get from unpunched modules sitting in your closet?

You've spent a lot of time drafting HASL maps. Maybe take an actual art course. I'm not saying it because I think your artwork is bad. I'm saying to do it because you'll meet other people with similar interests, who will tend to be supportive and have positive things to say about your work. They would probably find your hobby at the least interesting, certainly unique to them. Best thing I did in the last few years was take some writing classes with the local literary society. It connected me to people, energized me, and encouraged me.

There are plenty of other things you could do with it - art supplies, decorate your flat, charity.

More boxes to sit in the closet? I'm not seeing it. Especially since you have shown a creative streak and a wide range of interests - how many times would you have to play OtO2 before it showed irredeemable signs of physical wear? And how likely are you to play it often enough to do it?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A long time ago (15+ yrs) I bought some doubles at very discounted prices, but I don't get multiple copies of anything anymore.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've been using the same kit for 30 years. Some if it is quite worn. I made the decision two years to start accumulating seconds of the core modules at normal retail prices to replace, and use the old kit to make an air-portable set.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
doubt it, unless it was a module I dont have like A bridge too far...

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I might spend the money on an official core module but at the moment I'm at saturation point with 3rd party HASLs. I have Konigsberg and OTO2 as well and am yet to play a scenario from either so there's no way I could contemplate/justify buying duplicates.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm considering buying my 2nd Beyond Valor. My original is 1st edition (AH) and is over 30 years old. It will be the first reprinted core module I've bought, other than CdG, which I wouldn't buy if it wasn't for Dinant and the new counters.

I would not buy a 2nd copy of a new module. I don't buy games as investments, and there is near-zero chance I will wear out a new module at this point, so it would essentially be flushing money down the toilet.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Spend it on whatever makes you happy mate.

If it helps, CdG has a counter with my name on it. So you can throw it into the front rank of your 'Forlorn Hopes' to amuse yourself at my death :)

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
RR Schutze, what movie is your avatar from? I should know - I'm sure I've seen it multiple times - but too many options come to mind.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ask yourself: what enjoyment would you really get from unpunched modules sitting in your closet?

You've spent a lot of time drafting HASL maps. Maybe take an actual art course. I'm not saying it because I think your artwork is bad. I'm saying to do it because you'll meet other people with similar interests, who will tend to be supportive and have positive things to say about your work. They would probably find your hobby at the least interesting, certainly unique to them. Best thing I did in the last few years was take some writing classes with the local literary society. It connected me to people, energized me, and encouraged me.

There are plenty of other things you could do with it - art supplies, decorate your flat, charity.

More boxes to sit in the closet? I'm not seeing it. Especially since you have shown a creative streak and a wide range of interests - how many times would you have to play OtO2 before it showed irredeemable signs of physical wear? And how likely are you to play it often enough to do it?
Very thoughtful advice.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Do you have to buy virtual modules to play VASL? OMOOT doesn't know much about it.