Question on Daisy Chains

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
There is this Q&A:

B28.531 Assuming road rate is not being used. Can a vehicle avoid Daisy Chain attacks by the player simply stating that he is not using the road when crossing a road hexside? Same question .. if crossing a non-road hexside entering a road hex? A. The Daisy Chain attacks regardless of use of road rate or crossing a non-road hexside.

However, is it the case then that Daisy Chains can be used in any hex? or only in road hexes that are being entered by an AFV (whether from the road or non-road hexside)?

An moreover: Are daisy chains carried in the form of a counter by a squad or are they just recorded in a side note? The rule (28.531) is not explicit. It states that the placement of a Daisy Chain is invisible to the opponent until it has a unit with a LOS to it, and that the recovery of a Daisy Chain operates like a SW and it has a PP.

Thanks.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There is this Q&A:

B28.531 Assuming road rate is not being used. Can a vehicle avoid Daisy Chain attacks by the player simply stating that he is not using the road when crossing a road hexside? Same question .. if crossing a non-road hexside entering a road hex? A. The Daisy Chain attacks regardless of use of road rate or crossing a non-road hexside.

However, is it the case then that Daisy Chains can be used in any hex? or only in road hexes that are being entered by an AFV (whether from the road or non-road hexside)?

An moreover: Are daisy chains carried in the form of a counter by a squad or are they just recorded in a side note? The rule (28.531) is not explicit. It states that the placement of a Daisy Chain is invisible to the opponent until it has a unit with a LOS to it, and that the recovery of a Daisy Chain operates like a SW and it has a PP.

Thanks.
B28.531 DAISY CHAIN: A SSR may allow a certain number of A-T Mine factors to be placed across a road during the enemy MPh as a Daisy Chain. A Daisy Chain is a number of A-T Mines tied together and pulled across a road while a vehicle is passing. These mines can be placed at any time during an enemy MPh (even as an enemy vehicle enters the placement hex), or during a friendly fire phase of the owner's Player Turn, by an unpinned Good Order Infantry unit possessing that Daisy Chain counter in an ADJACENT hex. Such placement is noted on paper, and not revealed to the opponent until one of his Good Order units has a LOS to the hex containing the Daisy Chain. If the placement is announced immediately after a vehicle expends MP to enter (or change VCA within) the placement hex, the placer then immediately rolls as per 28.51. A Daisy Chain A-T minefield can attack only once; thereafter it ceases to exist. Any Daisy Chain counter which has not yet attacked can be Recovered like any other SW. Placement of a Daisy Chain does not cause loss of concealment, but otherwise is considered use of a SW. The portage cost of a Daisy Chain is one PP per A-T mine factor. All other mine rules apply normally.

Daisy Chains may only be placed across a road at any time during the enemy MPh.

Daisy Chains are carried in counter form (as AT-Mine factors).

As long as the enemy has no LOS to the Daisy Chain, which could happen if it is placed during the enemy MPh but before the AFV or an enemy unit gains LOS to it, it will not be placed on board (i.e. the carrying unit will remain to be stacked with the counter), however 'proof' of its placement will be the note on a side record.

I reckon as soon as any GO enemy-unit gains LOS to the Daisy Chain after its placement, then the placing unit will 'lose' the counter which will then be placed on board - and can be recovered as a SW if it did not attack.

So I believe, that it could theoretically happen, that the placing unit could keep the counter after placement and move around with it unimpeded any more by its former PP-cost, as long as no GO enemy unit has gained LOS to the placed Daisy Chain. In practice, this will be unlikely the case as the Daisy Chain will probably get laid if the placing player sees a good chance of the enemy approaching/crossing it, i.e. it is unlikely to remain unseen for long.

von Marwitz

Last edited: