Just another Rout Phase question

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation is as follows: There is a woods hex 4MF from my broken unit (2 OG hexes and then the woods hex). I don't want to go there. I would rather go to a woods hex 5MF away (1 OG hex then uphill to the woods hex). However, the woods hex contains a friendly trench counter or has a path. May I use the trench/path to calculate my desired destination as 3MF?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Situation is as follows: There is a woods hex 4MF from my broken unit (2 OG hexes and then the woods hex). I don't want to go there. I would rather go to a woods hex 5MF away (1 OG hex then uphill to the woods hex). However, the woods hex contains a friendly trench counter or has a path. May I use the trench/path to calculate my desired destination as 3MF?
B 27.6 LOWER-LEVEL LOCATIONS Infantry beneath a Trench or Sangar (F8) counter may move/rout/advance/Withdraw-from-CC directly to any Accessible, non-Crest-status lower-elevation Location without having to first exit to above that trench/sangar. Such move/rout/advance/CC-Withdrawal in the opposite direction, from a non-Crest-status position to beneath an Accessible higher-elevation trench/sangar (as if moving from a connecting Trench), is also allowed if that Infantry unit and trench/sanger are in the same side's OB and/or the unit's side Controls the trench/sangar Location.

There is no rule prohibiting routing units from taking the trench or path. In fact, just the opposite, the location you prefer must be used (everything else being equal, such as proximity of enemy units) because less MF can be used to get there, per A10.51. 3MF vs 4MF. The routing unit must take the shortest path in MF.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You can count the least MF route.
I however don't see how a Trench would lower the cost - unless you already are in a Trench and can move continuously under Trench counters. Otherwise ot is one supplemental MF to enter the Trench.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
You can count the least MF route.
I however don't see how a Trench would lower the cost - unless you already are in a Trench and can move continuously under Trench counters. Otherwise ot is one supplemental MF to enter the Trench.
They don't have to pay a cost from the lower elevation, first sentence of B27.6 -- that is, as long as they are the side controlling the trench location or originally from that sides O/B.

Otherwise, you are correct. In all other circumstances, one must pay the extra MF to enter.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Where does the OP speak of a Trench in a hill hex?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Where does the OP speak of a Trench in a hill hex?
In the last sentences of his post. Here, I'll highlight it all for you since I have nothing better to do atm while I wait for my opponent :p

I would rather go to a woods hex 5MF away (1 OG hex then uphill to the woods hex). However, the woods hex contains a friendly trench counter or has a path. May I use the trench/path to calculate my desired destination as 3MF?

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A related question; Can a routing unit use the road rate of a woods-road hex to calculate the closest target hex?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
A related question; Can a routing unit use the road rate of a woods-road hex to calculate the closest target hex?
Again, where does it (the rule) say it cannot? However, there could be danger in this method since the LOS could be traced down the road as OG, thereby resulting in interdiction....

In general this game is easier to play when NOT making up potential rules but rather use the rules as written. Nowhere in routing to the nearest woods building does it say a trnch/path/road cannot be used; therefore, they can be used.

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with you. I was attempting to resolve a dispute.
This related question has arisen since this thread started and is mostly about semantics; a friendly routing has used 5MF and is in a woods-road hex connected by that road to another woods-road hex. Per A10.62, "the unit can directly enter another building/woods Location....", would the use of "directly" preclude road rate?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
yeah okay.....

based on the definition of a woods hex, I would say it would not. woods and woods/roads locations are both considered woods.

13. WOODS
13.1 Woods represent a forested area with dense undergrowth. A dark green background covered with black woods symbols such as 1C9 or 18J3 is considered a woods hex, as is 19X1 which also contains a road.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Nowhere in routing to the nearest woods building does it say a trnch/path/road cannot be used; therefore, they can be used.
I would even think/assume a path/woods-road (using the road) must be used when calculating the shortest route to a potential rout target.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would even think/assume a path/woods-road (using the road) must be used when calculating the shortest route to a potential rout target.
For the woods-road hex, and for MF calculation purpose solely, i would assume you would count as if the unit were to enter the woods (although practically it may not necessarily do so) because staying in the open portion of the hex is not an option, ie you cannot stop your rout in the open portion of a woods-road hex.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
For the woods-road hex, and for MF calculation purpose solely, i would assume you would count as if the unit were to enter the woods (although practically it may not necessarily do so) because staying in the open portion of the hex is not an option, ie you cannot stop your rout in the open portion of a woods-road hex.
I believe that if you enter a woods-road hex - paying the road movement cost - and then end the movementthere, you are in the woods - not in an Open Ground portion of the hex (that's only vehicles).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I believe that if you enter a woods-road hex - paying the road movement cost - and then end the movementthere, you are in the woods - not in an Open Ground portion of the hex (that's only vehicles).
But you can be interdicted as it is open ground. So if you have MF remaining you must continue.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
so 'end the movement there' is the same as 'end the rout there...'
But you can be interdicted as it is open ground. So if you have MF remaining you must continue.
Perhaps that's only if you are actually being interdicted, but even then I assume if you take the interdiction and you pass, you can stay in the woods road hex and be treated as if in the woods thereafter.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Perhaps that's only if you are actually being interdicted, but even then I assume if you take the interdiction and you pass, you can stay in the woods road hex and be treated as if in the woods thereafter.
My question would be: have you reached a woods location if you are on the road and you still have MF to spend? It's semantics probably.