Broken Ground Design Thread

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would Zombies break or just be casualty reduced throughout--similar to Japanese except that even HSs go on until dead. I cannot imagine a zombie breaking or even rallying. No leaders or concealment.
Also, are they slow zombies (general movie themes) or fast zombies (WW Z and 28 days which can use double time)?
HtH is ALWAYS is effect. Prisoners are NA.
Low crawl is always in effect?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Would Zombies break or just be casualty reduced throughout--similar to Japanese except that even HSs go on until dead. I cannot imagine a zombie breaking or even rallying. No leaders or concealment.
Also, are they slow zombies (general movie themes) or fast zombies (WW Z and 28 days which can use double time)?
HtH is ALWAYS is effect. Prisoners are NA.
Low crawl is always in effect?
Everything is based on ESG's Zombie Pack. Slow Zombies, classic and WWZ book style.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
When creating a counter set, I like to find new things to include, just for the fun of it.

For the Zombie pack, I'm thinking of adding some... er... realism... um... to the mix.

So, Unarmed Civilians need some personal transportation to get around...

14115 14116 14117

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tell me more.
His scenarios are on the archive, which is down at this minute. He puts out about 1 scenario/month, and they can be on unusual situations.

His October scenarios have sort of "supernatural" aspect, such as zombies, monsters, and the like One involves the case (historically accurate, I believe) of crocodiles attacking a Japanese unit caught in a swamp.

But since these are "fun" scenarios, I can probably make my own. But it might stimulate your imagination

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Store is now closed. This is a temporary measure. Orders already placed will be shipped.

I have a small backlog of orders to ship out, and a few dangling shipping issues to resolve.

Life has started to drift sideways, so I need to step back to stay focused.

Alan

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not think a personalized or a company's own version of Chapter H is against copyright. They cannot use the wording verbatim unless credit was given. The non-historical portion or counter description, whatever you want to call it. As long as that is not the same wording and the formatting is different I do not see how it violates a copyright. Also, you would definitely be safe in realizing Chapter H notes for the counters not covered by the core game, as all TPP do. The write-ups on Wikipedia are just as good if not better then the small description in Chapter H. In 1989 before the internet it may have been amazing to have that encyclopedic like data in one binder, but now Chapter H is pretty plain. No pictures, diagrams or drawings, although its already thick enough and data that is easily and widely available. I think it is great and one of the reasons I got into ASL weirdly enough. If you got rid of the little historical paragraph the entire binder would be a third of the size which is probably all that is necessary to play DYO. The only thing I guess that is strictly required is the order or likelihood of appearance charts for each nation. Chapter H in itself is not really necessary as the counters ares self explanatory, or is there data not on some counters? Apologies for any ignorance, I am new compared to the wealth of experience in these forums.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chapter H in itself is not really necessary as the counters ares self explanatory, or is there data not on some counters?
Chapter H, in its current format, is absolutely essential for the effective use of the vehicles and ordnance within the ASL system. There are numerous examples of vehicles/weapons in this game which possess characteristics and limitations too numerous to be described on a 5/8" piece of cardboard. Some prime examples would be the Stielgranate 41 projectile when used with the German Pak 35/36 AT gun, the very commonly encountered Japanese Type 89 heavy grenade launcher ('knee mortar'), the numerous versions of British Carriers, U.S. halftracks, and so on and so on.

While it may seem to some that an elimination or severe editing of these vehicle/ordnance descriptions may appear to be beneficial from a rule book size reduction standpoint, the result would most likely be a ineffective employment of these weapons during a game. I can recall many examples over the years where a thorough understanding of the capabilities of my own and especially those of my opponents weapons had a profound influence upon the outcome of a scenario.

Another benefit of the concise historical information contained within the Chapter H notes are the specific explanations for the characteristics of certain weapons systems which might motivate both novice and veteran players alike to pursue additional historical research for themselves. As you may have noticed, not all of the members of this forum are scholars of military history, and an elimination of some of the information in Chapter H could very likely lead to a plethora of questions on the order of: "Why does the M4 Sherman receive the possibility of Multiple Hits?"... "How come Panther's have Stall numbers on the back of the counter and the early T-34's do not?". See the current thread on the U.S. M3a1 in the Rules and Errata sub-forum for a great discussion by veteran players regarding the interpretation and clarification of the Chapter H notes for this commonly encountered vehicle.

Speaking only for myself, I consider the Chapter H notes in their current format to be informative and historically enlightening, and one of the most enjoyable reading experiences within the ASL system. I would be very disappointed if they were reduced to an abbreviated, acronym-soaked series of tables and charts with little or no historical context, all in the name of rule book size reduction. Thankfully, the designers and current stewards of the official ASL system appear to regard Chapter H as a labor of love, and are unlikely to change this portion of the rule book.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any votes for Broken Ground doing Korean War counters?

Reactions: PTY