Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
This is a picture of a Panzer IV in service with the 12th SS in Normandy. What is the device on the back of the vehicle (red arrow)?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a picture of a Panzer IV in service with the 12th SS in Normandy. What is the device on the back of the vehicle (red arrow)?
View attachment 14237
Believe the rear engine deck doors are in the open position and those are the cooling fans attached to the underside of the louvered doors.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
At one time I had a thread where others could ask about armour, design and organisation and that disappeared the last or prior GS upgrade. Occasionally I might add my response to a question elsewhere in ASL so that information would be easier to find in one place. A recent PM about armour availability prompted me to think of restarting a similar thread.

Feel free to ask questions or dispute my postings but I hope having stuff like this in one place may help.
Looking for info on the Spanish Civil War T-26s. Did the original shipment have MGs? Any info on how many of the later ones had MGs?

I am assuming that the early ones were M33s with no MGs, but can't find anything to prove this.

Thanks,

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take this for what it's worth, but I've read they shipped the latest factory fresh models. Making improvements based on what happened next.

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
Looking for info on the Spanish Civil War T-26s. Did the original shipment have MGs? Any info on how many of the later ones had MGs?

I am assuming that the early ones were M33s with no MGs, but can't find anything to prove this.

Thanks,
According to Zaloga (T26 Light Tank Backbone of the Red Army, 2014), they were M33's. They had the 45L gun according to after action reports, but Zaloga also says "infantry tanks." which would suggest dual turret MG or 37mm "Hotchkiss" ripoffs. (I don't think that they sent any flamethrower vehicles.) IThere were probably a mix. According to Zaloga, they completely dominated the battlefield over the L3's and the German PzKwI's. Zaloga also wrote a book called "Tanks of the Spanish Civil War" which I do not have but would probably give you a complete picture.

Actually I just bought the Zaloga Spanish Civil War book and looking through it, there are pictures of T26's with CMG and without. You probably want to get this book if you are doing a scenario on this subject. He contradicts the T26 book by saying that the tanks generally had Spanish crews. Also, the Italians did use a flame tankette.

Also see: https://www.minecreek.info/armored-cars/initial-battles-for-madrid.html

Captured Nationalist T26 with a CMG.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Zaloga is pretty active on Facebook - I suppose if you wanted you could also ask him directly there.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Anyone want to identify the vehicle - type, vintage, unit, and timeframe the image was taken?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Actually more interested in his refreshments.

From the apparent suds residue on his glass I would say some kind of beer and a doobie.
Although the glass seems rather small for a manly beer.

Hopefully the use of " doobie " is correct for the time frame.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

This may have already appeared but if not, one for Paul. Popped up today in one of the FB groups I followed with a sketchy caption. The Jagdtiger and Tiger II are apparently mockups and the Jagdpanther in far background is a wooden mockup. Interested in an ID of the vehicle in the foreground.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Italian P26/40.

I've been absent from GS for a few months barring some daily on the fly spam hunting. At times I just don't want to think about anything serious and involved. Declining health and eventual death of one of my cats didn't help.

I would ask that "What's this?" type questions be put into the "Da Paul Challenge" (http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/da-paul-challenge.114213/) thread. I intended that this thread be more for more detailed discussion on organisations, doctrine, equipment mixes, etc, rather than duplicate dlazov's excellent and educational thread.

Re an earlier post (#64) about the T-26. I am extremely doubtful that many T-26 m33+ lacked a CMG. I have seen a parade photo of very early production m33s with a cylindrical turret that had an almost cubic bustle on the rear, looks like an afterthought. Unfortunately it was a rear view so I could not see the mantle. That might have been a hacked version of the BT-2 turret. Here is the only web photo I could find:
https://www.jaegerplatoon.net/T26B_1.jpg which also is a rear side view.
from this page: https://www.jaegerplatoon.net/TANKS3.htm

I don't really know, but like some BT-2, those early T-26 m33 may have lacked a CMG. I strongly suggest that T-26 m33 be assumed to have a CMG in the majority of cases, especially exported ones (Spain, China, Turkey). Stalin may have overcharged the Spanish, but he still wanted to make a positive impression. RMG and AAMG are a different matter. Command T-26 m33->m39 would never have RMG as the radio occupied the turret bustle.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Italian P26/40.

I've been absent from GS for a few months barring some daily on the fly spam hunting. At times I just don't want to think about anything serious and involved. Declining health and eventual death of one of my cats didn't help.

I would ask that "What's this?" type questions be put into the "Da Paul Challenge" (http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/da-paul-challenge.114213/) thread. I intended that this thread be more for more detailed discussion on organisations, doctrine, equipment mixes, etc, rather than duplicate dlazov's excellent and educational thread.

Re an earlier post (#64) about the T-26. I am extremely doubtful that many T-26 m33+ lacked a CMG. I have seen a parade photo of very early production m33s with a cylindrical turret that had an almost cubic bustle on the rear, looks like an afterthought. Unfortunately it was a rear view so I could not see the mantle. That might have been a hacked version of the BT-2 turret. Here is the only web photo I could find:

I don't really know, but like some BT-2, those early T-26 m33 may have lacked a CMG. I strongly suggest that T-26 m33 be assumed to have a CMG in the majority of cases, especially exported ones (Spain, China, Turkey). Stalin may have overcharged the Spanish, but he still wanted to make a positive impression. RMG and AAMG are a different matter. Command T-26 m33->m39 would never have RMG as the radio occupied the turret bustle.
Paul very, very sorry to hear about the death of one of your cats. Not much I can say to ease the pain of your loss. Take care.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Paul very, very sorry to hear about the death of one of your cats. Not much I can say to ease the pain of your loss. Take care.
Tough times and the loss of someone or something that keeps us on an even keel can be especially difficult.
Italian P26/40.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It's not death but their prior decline that I found most wearing. I've lost/buried 15 since '84, so I'm used to that. Sounds callous but death is closure, no more worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.