Poll: how many scenarios do you play a year?

How many scenarios do you play a year?

• 1 to 26

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • 26 to 52

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • 53 to 78

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • 79 to 104

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 104 t0 150

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 151 or more

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The other thread was supposed to be a poll but I messed up so here we go again.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I started playing in 1993, and the most scenarios I have completed in a year is 56.

I added an extra column to my records and found that I have an average of 23 games per year (FRD).

I had a goal of getting to 1,000 games by my 50th birthday, but I gave up on that more than a year ago when I saw it was too unrealistic, and that would now mean I have to play another 350 games in less than 4 years, and that's not going to happen.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I started playing in 1993, and the most scenarios I have completed in a year is 56.

I added an extra column to my records and found that I have an average of 23 games per year (FRD).

I had a goal of getting to 1,000 games by my 50th birthday, but I gave up on that more than a year ago when I saw it was too unrealistic, and that would now mean I have to play another 350 games in less than 4 years, and that's not going to happen.
An admirable goal! It doesn't matter if you set the bar too high, it's trying to jump over it that counts.

At one time we resolved to play 50 Night scenarios in a row. Did about 25. Missed the goal but sure learned a lot about Night.

Fort McGregor was one of our favorites.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Average about two a week....some weeks three. Once in a while I take a week or so off to play something else...then back to the normal routine. Most are play tests.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
When I was playing regularly, I could get to 100 games in a year. When Fort and I lived close together, I could play 50 or so play-tests in a year. Now, I am lucky to get to 10 or so and then usually only at tournaments. -- jim

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my peak years, I played more than 100 scenarios a year. In the past several years, it has only been around 18-25 a year. In 2020 it seems very likely that it will be zero, an extremely sad situation.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In my peak years, I played more than 100 scenarios a year. In the past several years, it has only been around 18-25 a year. In 2020 it seems very likely that it will be zero, an extremely sad situation.
Decreased playing seems to be the case with the majority of respondents so you are not alone. While it would seem older players would have more time to play, especially those who are retired, it doesn't seem to be that way.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I thought it would average out around 20, but over the last few years it turns out I've averaged about 30 -- not counting playtests, which I don't record ... so it probably works out to between 30-40.

Since most of my games are played via VASL anyway, this year is looking to work out about the same.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I thought it would average out around 20, but over the last few years it turns out I've averaged about 30 -- not counting playtests, which I don't record ... so it probably works out to between 30-40.

Since most of my games are played via VASL anyway, this year is looking to work out about the same.
You should record playtests. They really should count double as you are doing important work. I always thought playtests took longer than a comparably sized scenario.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I record my "games played" in ROAR. Playtests, by their very nature, don't appear in ROAR (and a scenario that I playtest might be published in a very different form, or not even be published at all).

If I used a different method to record my games played I probably would include them, but since I don't, they are consigned to the dustbin of history. I don't lose sleep over it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Scenario Archive lets you record playtests. My most active years were doing playtests for Lone Canuck. The scenarios themselves changed little between draft and publication, so there's no question that playtesting is no less real an ASL experience than just playing. I never recorded my plays early on - probably peaked around 2016 with 38 games that year. I've recorded 93 plays (including a few from early on which I have documentary evidence of) since starting with ASL in 1988, so that's still an average of 3 plays a year - I'd have to live to age 94 to have an average that dipped below 1 a year.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Played scenarios (including CG scenarios) per year in average 200 (34 years x 200= 7000 scenarios).

1986-1990 about 300+ scenarios in 4 years.

1991-2000 about 1500+ scenarios in 10 years.

2001-2010 about 2500+ scenarios in 10 years.

2011-2020 about 2200+ scenarios in 10 years.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
When I was playing regularly, I could get to 100 games in a year. When Fort and I lived close together, I could play 50 or so play-tests in a year. Now, I am lucky to get to 10 or so and then usually only at tournaments. -- jim
Same here for me. When i had five regular ftf opponents available, i played 50+ games a year. Now it´s around 20-30 games, if i´m lucky.
Highest peak was 2011, when i went to four tournaments including ASLOK, 78 scenarios played.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What are the red and blue or did I miss something?
Blue is total, green are wins and reds are losses (and ties). This is just part of the scenario archive's 'My Page' functionality. If you log your games on there it charts your games.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blue is total, green are wins and reds are losses (and ties). This is just part of the scenario archive's 'My Page' functionality. If you log your games on there it charts your games.
1998-2000 were dark days for you, my friend.