Optional rules

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The IIFT of course :D

Apart from that, i would like Interrogation rules to be standard, but since they are not, i am not using them. :cautious:

Battlefield integrity rules are too cumbersome.

PF availability rules are only played when called for by SSR. It's not too bad.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always use E.2. Almost always use the POW interrogation rules (E2) and especially in CGs unless the opponent strenuously objects to their use. I'm not averse to instituting E6 SWIMMING if it could be implemented, again upon agreement [EXC: with regular opponents, it's SOP]. Always use E3.51 RAIN or 3.71* FALLING SNOW as appropriate whenever Overcast conditions are present. Always use E7.5 AA FIRE (also E.5 & E.6) whenever Gliders or Paratroops are present even if not called for in the SSR. I will allow the use of E11 CONVOY/COLUMN freely even if not called for in set up instructions or by SSR though I seldom utilize it myself unless stipulated to do so. Always use E12 BARRAGE for OBA if the side has a PRH.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like the G and Sz optional rule - otherwise, you hardly ever get them, unless a rare SSR grants some.
But nobody seems to use it.
Otherwise, I don't use optional rules - excepted the pseudo "optional" rules of chapter E.

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Pleva Rule" for OBA.

Instead of 2 red cards/chits and the module is lost, when a red card is drawn, replace
the red card to the draw pile and add an additional red card to the draw pile.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you explain the extra rof die home rule?
A different 3rd dice is rolled for ROF weapons. I like it because I’m kinda sick of ROF slaughters and with this system you could possibly wiff a roll yet get a ROF. It kinda smooths out the bell curve and might be a good idea to use during playtests. I like to use a smaller red dice so it sticks out and associate ‘red’ with ‘rate’.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
No
Apart from that, i would like Interrogation rules to be standard, but since they are not, i am not using them. :cautious:

Battlefield integrity rules are too cumbersome.
Agree on Interrogation (both parts).

The other problem with BI is that mostly it just means once you start losing, you keep losing.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A different 3rd dice is rolled for ROF weapons. I like it because I’m kinda sick of ROF slaughters and with this system you could possibly wiff a roll yet get a ROF. It kinda smooths out the bell curve and might be a good idea to use during playtests. I like to use a smaller red dice so it sticks out and associate ‘red’ with ‘rate’.
If you are using house rules for playtests, you are tuning the scenarios to the use of the same house rules. I'd rather have them marked as SSRs.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Advantage from using the ROF die are clearly a lot more than any possible issue.. any optional rule againts the connection of various “independent” events in one only DR are absolutely wellcome and good for a so complex game

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Different aspects of ASL appeal to different people. As an average player I kind of enjoy the slight possibility that I might dice a better opponent. It doesn't happen often but when it does I like it. For me, that's a selling point to the game. The rawest newb could take on an ASLOK champ and emerge victorious.

The Time on Target products had a few optional rules as well. I don't think any of them were ever adopted by other publishers, however.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Which optional rules do I use?
  • IIFT with CTC (naturally)
Which house rules do I use?
  • No temporary revelation of a unit to "prove" being real for Concealment-stripping purposes (bit more fog of war)
  • Pleva OBA rule (now and then, but it makes sense)
von Marwitz

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
  • No temporary revelation of a unit to "prove" being real for Concealment-stripping purposes (bit more fog of war)
That's one we use, too. You just announce there is a real unit under the ?, no need to "prove" it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are using house rules for playtests, you are tuning the scenarios to the use of the same house rules. I'd rather have them marked as SSRs.
Seems like most any scenario can be won or lost by extreme good/bad luck. Same is true with a ROF dice, it just takes away some extreme good luck and extreme bad luck, perhaps a better look at an ‘average’ playtest play-though