LOS tool not working

McCarty13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys. I'm using 3.2.17 and 6.5.0 I've downloaded some "enhanced" set up files for starter kit scenarios. On some of them, the LOS tool doesn't work. It says everything is open and there's nothing blocking. I'm guessing its because they were probably made with an earlier version? Is there a work around to fix this or do I just need to rebuild from scratch? The two scenarios I noticed it on so far are Joseph 351 (S20) and Monty's Gamble (S23) But I download three zip files of "Enhanced Scenarios" So now I'm wondering how many are screwed up? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Mike

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Setup files are privately made by fellow gamers like yourself. Stating the scenario # is not informative. Which maps do they involve and have you tried bringing up just that board to see if LOS works?

If you tried LOS on (start a new game) with that board and there's a problem with LOS, let the folks here know which board it is.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The VASL LOS engine does sometimes get bounced in setup files, especially if cropping and flipping are involved. There is no easy answer to how many setup up files are effected. Nor is correct to describe them as screwed up. They were just created at a point in time when the los engine did not work with the particular board configuration.

What you see in these cases is the VASSAL los tool, which gives you a single line and the range. It shows you where the los goes and does not calculate whether it is clear or not.

Best answer if you find a setup file that does not work is to redo it from scratch as you say.

McCarty13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setup files are privately made by fellow gamers like yourself. Stating the scenario # is not informative. Which maps do they involve and have you tried bringing up just that board to see if LOS works?

If you tried LOS on (start a new game) with that board and there's a problem with LOS, let the folks here know which board it is.
I understand they aren't official and were made by gamers. Just curious if it was a common enough problem on these older versions of premade scenarios that all I had to do was reset something.

And yes they were all cropped boards.

Thanks