VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While looking at the Perry Sez subforum, I noted that the one official errata for the RB map (in RO) is that U17 should have a Manhole symbol. Version 3 of the VASL map does not have one. Maybe HASL boards are a special problem but as I did not see that mentioned in this subforum, I do so now.
Fixed. bdRBv3 v0.05 released and available for download.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why is there a tab labeled "Vehicle TK Tables" in the VASL version of the QRDC? There is no such thing in ASL, as far as I know. There are numerous TK tables that give the TK numbers for ORDNANCE. In my opinion, that tab should be labled either "TK Tables" or "Ordnance TK Tables".

What say you?
I don't know :)

I'll take a look.

Other than the title, is the chart in error?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note: In 6.5.0 the PIAT in the British counters does not have the "flip" option listed for an action to see the TH#s & Range on the reverse of the counter but the "Control>F" function does continue to work and shows the correct info in the back of the counter.
Bumping this for resolution

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Bumpity-bump

I did some testing and found that of all the current official DASL boards (I didn't check any unofficial ones) that feature grain hexes, only board e will do the plowed fields transform.
And bumping again.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note: In 6.5.0 the PIAT in the British counters does not have the "flip" option listed for an action to see the TH#s & Range on the reverse of the counter but the "Control>F" function does continue to work and shows the correct info in the back of the counter.
Just looked into this...

The PIAT is unique in that it can malfunction and has a range table. Both are represented on the back of the counter and accessed by VASL using the menu entry malf and key combo CTRL+F.

In contrast, the British BAZ44(a) counter does not malfunction but it does have a range table on the back. This is accessed by VASL using the menu entry flip CTRL+F.

Further, the British Radio can malfunction but does not have a range table on the back. This is accessed by VASL using the menu entry malf CTRL+F.

So it appears that the PIAT is a hybrid of the two. In all cases, CTRL+F flips the counters to reveal their backs just like their physical counterparts. The only real difference between them is the menu title malf or flip.

No fix is required in my opinion. Please let me know if you disagree.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
i'm in touch w/ the ToDo list, some good ideas there!

i'll get to work on providing dragovers for Crags & Irrigation Ditches, but i need artwork for those Ditches.

the idea for a 'Starshells Fired' marker (and adding it to the 'Remove Starshells/IR' listing) will be fairly easy to implement.

but i'm not convinced of the need for Fortification ctrs to be available as dragovers, proponents of this idea should post to a new thread on this forum.
All for -- 'Starshells Fired' marker (and adding it to the 'Remove Starshells/IR' listing)

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Big, simple one: allow CXing dummy counters.

As it is, it's a dead give away when you create a cx counter elsewhere and put it on the dummy.
Simple you say. This is concealment in VASL/VASSAL. Ain't nothing simple about that.

I have been working on this a little bit. I can easily (and simply) add CX to each of the 1/2" ? in the counter palette. And if you clone a ? counter dragged off the counter palette it too will have the CX option.

However, if you conceal a unit by right-clicking it and selecting conceal from the pop up menu, that ? counter will not have the CX option. This is where I have to work with the code. That particular part of the code is not easy to figure out; last time I spent some time with it I damn near lost the will the live.

Had thought I might get this done for 6.5.1 official release but that won't happen.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Simple you say. This is concealment in VASL/VASSAL. Ain't nothing simple about that.

I have been working on this a little bit. I can easily (and simply) add CX to each of the 1/2" ? in the counter palette. And if you clone a ? counter dragged off the counter palette it too will have the CX option.

However, if you conceal a unit by right-clicking it and selecting conceal from the pop up menu, that ? counter will not have the CX option. This is where I have to work with the code. That particular part of the code is not easy to figure out; last time I spent some time with it I damn near lost the will the live.

Had thought I might get this done for 6.5.1 official release but that won't happen.
Ok, not simple! Thanks for putting the thought into it...but please don't lose the will to live over this!

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the Soviet KV-8 missing an Ⓡ for raidioless prior to 1943? If so, might be worth looking at the OT-34 as well.

Note "C" is the applicable one in this situation.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is the Soviet KV-8 missing an Ⓡ for raidioless prior to 1943? If so, might be worth looking at the OT-34 as well.
Although note C applies to the OT-34 and the KV-8, the real counters do not have the circled "R" on them in my Chapter H.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thx for the previous two posts. I’ll check into it.
Al

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The counter is correct.

The issue is that when Chapter H combines multiple vehicle types into a single Note, it will list all of the relevant notes for all of the specified vehicles.

That does not mean that all of the notes apply to all of the vehicles!

Note C is listed in Russian Vehicle Note 15 because it applies to the OT-34. It does not apply to the KV-8. If you ever need to double-check this, you look up the vehicle in question in the "Vehicle Listing" and see what Notes are specified there.

Incidentally ... I don't know what you're quoting your "Russian Vehicle Note 15" from, but it appears to be massively in error. There is no such vehicle as "OT-34 M43" and that is not the vehicle described in the actual Russian Vehicle Note 15.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Bruce has it correct. The chapter H Russian Vehicle listing (page H28, ©2000) lists notes C and M as applying to the OT-34 (chapter H note #15). The same page lists notes D and M as applying to the KV-8 (again, chapter H note #15). My chapter H note 15 counter illustrations (page H28B ©2000) show the OT-34 as radioless with an asterisk. The asterisk means that prior to 1943 this AFV is radioless. From 1943 and on, it is radio equipped. The same chapter note shows the KV-8 as being radio equipped. The VASL counters agree with the chapter H note and counter depictions.

No correction needed here IMHO.

Al

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Any chance of a BSO for maps 58 & 73 to cover AP111 "The katanas come out at night"? The boards feature extensive terrain changes by SSR and literally none of those changes can be done in VASL (well, maybe by dragging a few hundred overlays, but I'd rather not).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any chance of a BSO for maps 58 & 73 to cover AP111 "The katanas come out at night"? The boards feature extensive terrain changes by SSR and literally none of those changes can be done in VASL (well, maybe by dragging a few hundred overlays, but I'd rather not).
I've added it to the list Bruce. Is this something you'd prefer to have sooner rather than later? I'll move it up the list if so.