Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Mtr A fires SMOKE.

Q: Does Mtr B have to fire at the same hex subsequently
a) with SMOKE?
b) w/o Smoke?

MtrA Loses ROF at SMOKE shot
Q: Can Mtr B fire at another hex when Mtr A loses Rate?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Mtr A fires SMOKE.

Q: Does Mtr B have to fire at the same hex subsequently
a) with SMOKE?
b) w/o Smoke?
I think (without double checking the rule), that if MTR B want's to use Spotted Fire, it does have to fire at the same hex MTR A placed smoke in. But there is certainly no requirement that MTR B also fire SMOKE (it could even be a MTR that does not have any SMOKE).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think (without double checking the rule), that if MTR B want's to use Spotted Fire, it does have to fire at the same hex MTR A placed smoke in. But there is certainly no requirement that MTR B also fire SMOKE (it could even be a MTR that does not have any SMOKE).
Thoughts on the second "loaded" question?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thoughts on the second "loaded" question?
If MTR B is using the same Spotter and Spotted Fire - I think they are required to fire at the same target/hex (does not matter if A keeps ROF or not, I think).

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
According to C9.3, two mortars fired using the same spotter must fire at the same target. Their ROF is lowered by one for spotted fire as per C9.31:

9.3 SPOTTERS: ... One Good Order Personnel unit in the same or an adjacent hex to a mortar (regardless of vertical level distance and LOS) can be a Spotter (Δ) for any mortar(s) in one hex (be it the same or an adjacent hex), provided they all fire on the same target.​
9.31 SPOTTED FIRE: ...Spotted fire is subject to a +2 To Hit DRM and a reduction of the mortar's Multiple ROF by one. If the mortar has no Multiple ROF the latter penalty does not apply.​
The rule makes no restriction on whether both mortars must continue/be able to fire, ROF or not. That is, a spotter being designated for one or multiple mortars doesn't ever require them to fire. It would be the same thing if one of the MTRs malfed.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If MTR B is using the same Spotter and Spotted Fire - I think they are required to fire at the same target/hex (does not matter if A keeps ROF or not, I think).
This is for the subsequent shots past the loss of ROF.
i.e. 2nd shot at a different target.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I don't see what ROF has to do with it. If 2 mortars are using the same spotter, they have to fire at the same hex per 9.3. Period.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see what ROF has to do with it. If 2 mortars are using the same spotter, they have to fire at the same hex per 9.3. Period.
The trick is this. IF they both keep ROF and both fire at the same additional target, then one can say they are both still firing at the same target. I suspect the intent was one target per spotter, but this is a reasonable interpretation of the rule also. It could use a Perry Sez.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this apply if Mtr one eliminates target in original hex loses Rate, may mtr 2 fire at new hex i.e. is it hex or target

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this apply if Mtr one eliminates target in original hex loses Rate, may mtr 2 fire at new hex i.e. is it hex or target
I don't believe so as they are not both firing at the same target.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like the intent to be one set of target instructions per round of bomb(s) launched in that phase. But justifying that within a limitation expressed in just seven words ("provided they all fire on the same target") is tough. The problem is the limitation does not say how long it must be complied with: each round, each fire phrase, each game? And could I just say (when one loses rate but the other doesn't); no problem, now I am just spotting for the one mtr that still has rate so no need to consider where or what the other mtr would fire at if it could.

Does seem to be a question worth asking, with lots of variants

An eligible unit is designated as the Spotter for two mortars in the same adjacent hex.
A. Mtr A fires at a target hex in the LOS of the Spotter. Can Mtr B fire at another target hex if it has a LOS, essentially declining to use the Spotter?
B. Both Mtr A and Mtr B fire at that target hex, and each retains ROF (taking into account the reduction in ROF for Spotted Fire). May each fire again at a new target hex within the Spotter's LOS? If so, must that new target hex be the same for each?
C. If Mtr A but not Mtr B retains ROF, may Mtr B fire again at the same target hex?
D. If Mtr A but not Mtr B retains ROF, may Mtr B fire again at a different (from the first) target hex?

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is it possible to direct indirect (oxymoron?) fire at a different target and call it the same target? Mortars target hexes.

Last edited:

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How could one possibly direct indirect (oxymoron?) fire at a different hex and call it the same hex?
I'm just wondering how long it has to be the same hex. For the entire scenario? For the period the Spotter is designated Spotter? For the phase? For the length of time each has the possibility of firing?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm just wondering how long it has to be the same hex. For the entire scenario? For the period the Spotter is designated Spotter? For the phase? For the length of time each has the possibility of firing?
Per fire phase is my take away.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whenever you declare indirect spotted fire.