Can anyone turn the Brick Works PNG file map into a VASL map for us?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Unfortunately the file is too big to add to the resources. The limit must be 2MB and the file is just over. I am not sure how to make it available?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unfortunately the file is too big to add to the resources. The limit must be 2MB and the file is just over. I am not sure how to make it available?
Try getting it hosted on the Vasl boards site, I think Sam Tyson might be the man to ask

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I downloaded the map for the brick works,but it is a gif file how do you load it into VASL. Does the gif file need to be converted? I want to make a large map, have the DTW map, but when I go to load the brickworks it does not appear as a VASL map............please help.

Shane

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are instructions for creating VASL boards here. But this may be more effort than you want to spend. For a quick-and-dirty, I would suggest taking an existing VASL board for one of the large maps and adding a .zip extension to the file name. Then look inside the zip file and you will see all the stuff you need for a vasl board. Copy them to a new location, amend them as required (many of them are .xml or text files) and then zip them into a new file named bdXX.zip. Delete the .zip extension and you should have a vasl bd if you made the changes correctly. The link i gave you will help you decide what files you need inside your bdXX file.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Someone on FB is having trouble opening the brickworks file in VASL. Is anyone else having problems?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Someone on FB is having trouble opening the brickworks file in VASL. Is anyone else having problems?
You can’t just open a png file as a map in VASL. Won’t work. You have to turn it into a board. There is a quick-and-dirty way to do this that has been described on GS previously.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You can’t just open a png file as a map in VASL. Won’t work. You have to turn it into a board. There is a quick-and-dirty way to do this that has been described on GS previously.
I know that. The brickworks file has already been turned into a VASL board. But someone still cannot open it.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I know that. The brickworks file has already been turned into a VASL board. But someone still cannot open it.
My bad. I read your earlier message on my phone and didn't realize it was part of this thread. Thought it was a new thread.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the person having trouble using VASL 6.5.0 or higher? If not then tell them to try with the most up to date VASL version.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
did they post their error log? 99% of the time it is user error.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
see above...
If you/they go into VASSAL... Help... Show Error Log... you get the full(er) message.

At first blush it looks like they didn't unzip or they over-unzipped the board file.