ASL Player Ratings

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dittos, nice job!

A nice fun feature would be the same calculation using the ROAR database, whether public or private by individual.

I realize that it would exclude played games, but it my case would add a 600 hundred unreported games and would be cool to see.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dittos, nice job!

A nice fun feature would be the same calculation using the ROAR database, whether public or private by individual.

I realize that it would exclude played games, but it my case would add a 600 hundred unreported games and would be cool to see.
Yeah, I have about a 60 games to log.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I have not yet decided whether ratings should be recalculated every time new data is added or on a set time interval, such as monthly. Does it matter? Thoughts?
We live in a time of instant gratification. If people are taking the time to upload results, it's going to be a pretty disappointing UX if they have to wait weeks to see what impact they have.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We live in a time of instant gratification. If people are taking the time to upload results, it's going to be a pretty disappointing UX if they have to wait weeks to see what impact they have.
And that is not positive much less should we take it as an excuse to reinforce that effect.

Interesting read: Walter Mischel "The Marshmellow Test"

von Marwitz

CaptCaveman

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
There are some side effect benefits of a routine, not real-time, ratings update. The main one being it will be easier for tournament organizers to baseline and set ratings. I think FIDE chess ELO updates at the start of the month, partly because of this. Not saying it should be monthly, but perhaps no more than weekly so that seeding can be stable for organizers.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hennie and I ran a tournament for 10 years in Arnhem using AREA rating as basis for pairing.

Based on that experience, I cannot see what difference it would make if these ratings were updated weekly vs monthly, for that purpose.

A good player is somewhere in the higher ranks, whether he logs a few games or not. Changes in ratings are very gradual over time. Since tournaments are held once a year, the TD just picks a time when he knows his confirmed participants and seeds them. If they log a few games in the weeks or months in between, I see not how that would change anything at all.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For those of you following along at home, you may have noticed some recent changes to the ASL Player Ratings site. Most noticeably the "Under Development" sign has come down. The site is now built and running.

This is software. There will be bugs. Please report 'em when you find 'em.

Step 2 of the workplan (Collect and upload data from 2017-2020, see above) is well underway and one tournament from the period (CASLO_18) has been uploaded. If you have data to contribute, please contact Honosbinda (Marc Hanna) on this site.

Player Ratings will be updated monthly on the 1st of the month IF new tournament data has been added in the previous month. There is a link on the home page to view Tournaments Recently Added.

CaptCaveman

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Nice. Great to see this moving forward and thanks for the effort. I contacted Marc as I have some data I can help with from tournaments in the NW USA.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For the first time since 2017, we have new Player Ratings.

5 new tournaments have been added to the database and Player Ratings recalculated on the new data. If you didn't play in one of these tournaments, your rating probably won't change but if you did, then it has. See which tournaments have been added here.

We have more tournaments in the pipeline and will be updating ratings monthly starting July 1st.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for your work in this, Doug.

I'll have the data for Human Wave to input here shortly

David

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the first time since 2017, we have new Player Ratings.

5 new tournaments have been added to the database and Player Ratings recalculated on the new data. If you didn't play in one of these tournaments, your rating probably won't change but if you did, then it has. See which tournaments have been added here.

We have more tournaments in the pipeline and will be updating ratings monthly starting July 1st.
Thanks for all the work Doug ! How does one look at the list in order? Maybe I missed something, I just kept scrolling and scrolling.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for all the work Doug ! How does one look at the list in order? Maybe I missed something, I just kept scrolling and scrolling.
Which list? The player lists are ordered alphabetically or by rating. The "active" versions have about 800 players, the "all" have about 1800.

The Tournament list is by year and then by month (which is having some funky moments due to data issues and those VASL leagues which span 2 years). There are around 450 tournaments.

There should be a visible scroll bar in the frame for all of these lists.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK, I think I get it now. The link i sent just shows you the new tournaments added. To get to the other lists, click Home just below the map graphic at the top of the screen on the right side of the screen.

Sorry about that.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What about the saga about past ASLOK records? Have these been eventually found? Have they been deciphered? ?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What about the saga about past ASLOK records? Have these been eventually found? Have they been deciphered? ?
Not in the short term.

We are picking the low-hanging fruit first and will get to those hard to reach bastards next! LOL.

Any help would be appreciated? Who might we contact? Any leads?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bret Hildebran and Bill Hayward kept the paper ASLOK PIS for a year and then would give them to a European player to bring to Bruno Nitrosso. I can give Bret's email address to you or Marc Hanna.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bret Hildebran and Bill Hayward kept the paper ASLOK PIS for a year and then would give them to a European player to bring to Bruno Nitrosso. I can give Bret's email address to you or Marc Hanna.
I think Marc probably already has it but please pass it on to him. Thanks.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you add a tournament, nothing changes with the ratings until the engine is fired up on the first of each month and all those shiny new numbers do the math thing, correct?