ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Ditto........ Or do something like kickstarter. I think people would be willing to donate to the cause. ALSOK registration is the best money I spend every year based on a cost per hours of enjoyment.

But I'd happily pay my registration and buy a tee shirt.

Matter of fact, I am going to pay my registration right now and I don't want a refund if its cancelled.

Roger
well, I'm joining you! :)

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I certainly understand that many are at risk and/or have at risk loved ones to protect However, I agree with those that that have said that we understand the risks and that this is a personal choice. Thus I would like the option to attend and hope that adequate ventilation can be provided in lieu of masks. Happy to sign a waiver as well.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm viewing this year's ASLOK as effectively a sunk cost. I will likely be on the hook for significant costs either way as a result. Low attendance might beat cancelling, but it is likely close to a push. Once we determine what we are doing I can go to the hotel and attempt to renegotiate based on future years potentially, but I have no idea how likely that is to work at this point.

I can understand the VASL appeal, but as I am not a VASL guy at all it is not something I would consider running as an alternative to the live event at this time...
Bret for those who don't plan to attend but want to help you defray your expenses what would be your preferred method? Pre register or some go fund me or kickstarter? I know nothing about go find me but I assume they take a percentage. If pre register is there a way to indicate they will not be attending so as to help you plan? Either way don't take a financial hit. Good luck.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this thread everything has already been said, just not by everyone. My estimations about the risk at an event like the ASLOK are based on the fact that I am a medical doctor. Furthermore I have continuously followed the medical literature since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Masks can help to make the transmission of the virus more difficult. But they do not provide 100% protection.
Therefore, airing rooms seems to play a very important role in preventing the transmission of the virus.
Prof. Drosten, a virologist from the Charite in Berlin, said that he would rather be in a well-ventilated room without mask wearers than in a poorly ventilated room with mask wearers.
In the world of Environmental Health and Safety (my world) this is known as an 'engineering control'. It is regarded as much more effective than PPE as once deployed it does not rely on any human activity to work, and should be considered if feasible.

Ideally, one would speak as little as possible. Also, one should speak as quietly as possible.
This is an 'administrative control' - effectiveness some where in between PPE and engineering control.

It is also important that not only all participants wear a mask,
The least effective method of hazard control, and should be the last deployed after all others.

but also that the mask is worn in a correct way (i.e. mouth and nose are completely covered).

According to my observation in the last weeks, 20-30% of all persons are not able to do this.
At work I wear one of the masks that offer high protection (FFP2 / N95). These masks become very uncomfortable after a relatively short time (about 2 hours).
..and this is the main reason why PPE is considered 'least effective'.

But it's really all about layers. More small controls are sometimes better than relying too heavily on a single strong one.

So -

1. Ventilate
  2. social distance to the extent feasible
  3. Sanitation (rely heavily on hand sanitizers)
  4. PPE (mask and/or Face shield- prefer the latter for the reason mentioned above)

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
...I can understand the VASL appeal, but as I am not a VASL guy at all it is not something I would consider running as an alternative to the live event at this time...
Nor was I until recently.

In all seriousness Mr. Hildebran, I believe if you tapped into the breadth of knowledge of members here who have successfully run or took part in VASL tournaments in the recent months you will find the information needed (ie: the recent CASLO in maritime Canada, or the ongoing Human Wave 2020). While CASLO was a smaller event than ASLOK, the basic structure should remain the same.

I am also certain that reaching out to the membership for support you will find more than you need. Since the structure of ASLOK is different from the standard tournament many of the duties regarding set up and scenarios would fall to the players in any case. I'm new to VASL but would do what I could to help.

The fee structure can be commensurate with the organisation required to run ASLOK and may save the event from taking a financial loss.

I for one, would definitely 'attend' an eASLOK this year and hand over my coin despite my knowing I will have my backside handed to me regularly. A FtF ASLOK can follow in 2021.

Regards.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have nothing to say about Covid.... it will likely be the nail that keeps me from going but as most know I've been hit or miss for years now anyhow.

And you don't have to go to Germany to drive 136, did it on US-23 in Michigan couple weekends ago passing some complete utter morons, wife's BMW is engine limited to 155...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Mark, is it obvious to you yet based on the comments about highway speeds, why your appeal to social responsibilities has fallen on deaf ears? :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have nothing to say about Covid.... it will likely be the nail that keeps me from going but as most know I've been hit or miss for years now anyhow.

And you don't have to go to Germany to drive 136, did it on US-23 in Michigan couple weekends ago passing some complete utter morons, wife's BMW is engine limited to 155...
Lmao!! Considering the state of most highways in the U.S. you are a brave man.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Man, I gotta buy a BMW. :)
Move to Germany. They are far cheaper than they are in the US (which isn't to say they are cheap ;)). I bought my M2 fully loaded for $53K. In the US, it would have run me more than $75K, and in DC--where I lived--it would have likely been between $80K - $85K. That also includes shipping back to the US when I leave (chose from 5 ports, Baltimore and Norfolk are on that list). It has ~410 horsepower and will go 0 - 60 in < 5 seconds. It's not quite as fast as the Mustang I sold when leaving the US, but it corners like it's glued to the road. :) -- jim

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All it takes is $$, too much to go as fast as we are discussing, but hey, not sure we will try another brand. Best car we've ever owned, certainly the fastest.
I have the money but I am not going to buy one. I was just joking. Nowadays I keep my speed to a respectable 75 -80 mph, depending on where I am driving of course..

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm viewing this year's ASLOK as effectively a sunk cost. I will likely be on the hook for significant costs either way as a result. Low attendance might beat cancelling, but it is likely close to a push. Once we determine what we are doing I can go to the hotel and attempt to renegotiate based on future years potentially, but I have no idea how likely that is to work at this point.

I can understand the VASL appeal, but as I am not a VASL guy at all it is not something I would consider running as an alternative to the live event at this time...
Bret, behind your decision, whichever it may be. There is a backup plan in progress in case of cancellation.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You two should write a book together.

Maybe a scenario design guide?
If Mark had been the collaborative type, or in the least bit receptive to feedback, my book would never have been written. As it is, I'm happy with the way things turned out.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has ~410 horsepower and will go 0 - 60 in < 5 seconds. It's not quite as fast as the Mustang I sold when leaving the US, but it corners like it's glued to the road. :) -- jim
Agree about the glued to the road! Wife's M550 will do it in 3.9, too much for the US honestly.
My wife is a HP freak, I think she might move up to an M5 next time.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Agree about the glued to the road! Wife's M550 will do it in 3.9, too much for the US honestly.
My wife is a HP freak, I think she might move up to an M5 next time.
The M2 is about 6 inches narrower and nearly a foot shorter than the other M series cars. I looked at an M3 but I wasn't sure I could fit it into my parking spot in our apartment's garage. Like your wife, I am a bit of a HP freak too. I don't know why that is, but I love cars that are faster than I can drive them. :) -- jim

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Maybe you should write one, so we had more to choose from? ?
I would buy it, in all honesty. There's always something new to learn.

How were the sales on the death to fascism pack, by the way? Any feedback from purchasers? I'm sure there are some good scenario design stories to come out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.