ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having paths in and out of the main room doesn't mean "i want to control everyone's movements". I don't know what you mean by "aisle restrictions". You'll be able to move in and out whenever you want! It's just a convenient way to avoid bumping into each other. I don't think it is overly intrusive, it's just a habit to take on the first day. Now i'm making suggestions (instead of others talking only about themselves), they might not all be taken into consideration by the organizers, that's fine, they are in charge and i don't want to be a backseat driver. It would be great if people forget about this potentially stressful context and enjoy their ASLOK stay while minimizing the risk (being aware that risk will never be equal to zero). But i'm confident that attendees will understand that at least some exceptional measures are necessary. Players may laugh about them in a few years when things will return to normalcy, it's okay.

As i said, face masks (or similar items) are the most important step. But there may be others. The organizers will weight pros and cons on each measure. I (and others on this thread) just provide some ideas.

In order to complement my answer, i went on the Wal-Mart site and copy-and pasted the following from here:

Sanitation and Social Distancing

Our associates are working hard to keep stores stocked and sanitized for you. We’re dedicating associates in every store to clean high-traffic, high-touch areas, like checkouts and shopping carts, every day. We’re also installing sneeze guards in our pharmacy and register lanes, and floor decals at both the entrances and checkouts, to help you maintain proper social distancing.
Additionally, we’re using a single, clearly designated entrance and another clearly designated exit at each store to help maintain social distancing and lessen the instances of people closely passing each other. We’re also limiting the number of people in a store at once (...)
On April 20, we began requiring that associates wear masks or other face coverings at work. This includes our stores, clubs, distribution and fulfillment centers, as well as in our corporate offices. We’re also encouraging customers and members to wear face coverings when they shop with us.
Additionally, our stores will host a senior shopping hour every Tuesday for customers age 60 and older who may be more vulnerable. (...)

Have you stopped going to your supermarket (i chose Wal-Mart, it could be another brand) due to this? Are you going to write a letter of complain to them saying they should not "control everyone's movement"?
Great post!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just fyi, an event like ASLOK falls into the CDC's "highest risk" category--in fact, because of its length, it would actually fall into a category even higher than the highest one listed here.

View attachment 13841
As noted earlier in the thread, research out of the UK is finding negligible difference between a 1 metre spacing, and a 2 metre spacing.

With some logistical foresight - and some funds - you could rig up plexiglass shields over the playing surface, no different than the counter at 7-eleven.

The biggest issue would be contact with the board and counters themselves - but that is not insurmountable either.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As noted earlier in the thread, research out of the UK is finding negligible difference between a 1 metre spacing, and a 2 metre spacing.

With some logistical foresight - and some funds - you could rig up plexiglass shields over the playing surface, no different than the counter at 7-eleven.

The biggest issue would be contact with the board and counters themselves - but that is not insurmountable either.
Yes, we have many options.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also think holding the event downstairs in a venue with better air circulation would be beneficial. We are still talking about an event to be held three months hence. So, rather than offering sanctimonious prolix would it not be better to think of suggestions that may offer solutions or enhance safety to make this cherished event as safe as we can?
Know the risks and then decide. I will be going. Any good, positive advice on how to make my ASLOK experience more safe is most welcome.
Some of the most strident castigators seem to be proclaiming: "Don't go because I say so! Pay attention to me and me alone..."
This thread appears to be more proselytization than real concern.
I am going and to those naysayers let me add that I look forward to your absence.
If organizers of an event are aware that their event, by its nature, poses a significant health risk to some of its attendees, and/or others, then of course they would bear a share of the responsibility (and possibly LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY) should people become ill and/or die.
The liability issue is primarily the responsibility of the hotel. (So if they say masks, we would go with masks. )

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just fyi, an event like ASLOK falls into the CDC's "highest risk" category--in fact, because of its length, it would actually fall into a category even higher than the highest one listed here.

View attachment 13841
That Highest Risk Category just described every Essential Business-Big Box Store: Walmart, Target, etc; and Grocery Store I have been to in the past three months where thousands of hands have been on store products, shelves, and check out registers where everyone goes through and no one stays 6 ft apart. Why can't we employ the same sanitary/hygiene measures they do at ASLOK?

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just fyi, I just checked with the Ohio Board of Health and they told me that, as of right now, indoor gatherings of more than 10 people are actually prohibited.

What the restrictions will look like three months from now I couldn't say.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That Highest Risk Category just described every Big Box Store: Walmart, Target, etc; and Grocery Store I have been to in the past three months where thousands of hands have been on store products, shelves, and check out registers where everyone goes through and no one stays 6 ft apart. Why can't we employ the same sanitary/hygiene measures they do at ASLOK?
We can do just as well as grocery stores.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The liability issue is primarily the responsibility of the hotel. (So if they say masks, we would go with masks. )
That is not true. This is why, for example, the Trump campaign is making people sign waivers for the events they organize, promising they won't sue the campaign. Because people can sue both venues and event organizers.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
That is not true. This is why, for example, the Trump campaign is making people sign waivers for the events they organize, promising they won't sue the campaign. Because people can sue both venues and event organizers.
OK. So, an honest question. Taking on board that (our UK) Government have stated that B&Bs may open in July (ie. Government are saying that on balance it's safe to proceed). When are you suggesting it would be "safe" to hold an ASL style event? When there's a vaccine??

I'm inclined to ask that people sign a waiver.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just fyi, I just checked with the Ohio Board of Health and they told me that, as of right now, indoor gatherings of more than 10 people are actually prohibited.

What the restrictions will look like three months from now I couldn't say.

Actually 'TABLES' are limited to gatherings of 10 persons. We can handle that.

Banquet and catering facilities are limited to 300 persons. We won't be anywhere near that

I think we are done here. Unless Mark would like to argue with a national COVID-19 hero, Dr. Amy Acton.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually 'TABLES' are limited to gatherings of 10 persons. We can handle that.

Banquet and catering facilities are limited to 300 persons. We won't be anywhere near that

I think we are done here. Unless Mark would like to argue with a national COVID-19 hero, Dr. Amy Acton.

View attachment 13842
I believe that said person would argue with traffic signs.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is not true. [snip] Because people can sue both venues and event organizers.
I consulted with our Bitter Ender attorney about liability for event organizers and he informed me there was none in NC. Nor could the hotel be held liable. That assumed that phased reopening plan allowed a gathering in the 1st place. We cancelled because NC Phase II orders did not allow a gathering of 30 or more indoors.

Do you have a source for this information? I'm curious because I think this is state by state guidance.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Because people can sue both venues and event organizers.
The ability to sue is neither a guarantee of victory nor an indication of the actual responsibilities under the law of any party.

The existence of a waiver isn't evidence of who is in the right under the law, but more likely a party simply looking to avoid having the legal discussion at all.

Come to that, you can still sue someone even if you already signed a waiver saying you wouldn't, if there are exceptional circumstances for example.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
One way to deal with counters and maps is for the only the owner of same do the moving/stacking/handling. A pain for the owner, though.
And nobody brings their kit forcing people to play on computers from their rooms using VASL. ;)

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One way to deal with counters and maps is for the only the owner of same do the moving/stacking/handling. A pain for the owner, though.
Or just push counters with tweezers or popsicle sticks. Agree that one person (only) sorts out all of the counters. One person (only) puts away those counters. Use your own dice.
Use your imagination. Use your brain. If we can decipher the ASLRB nothing can stop us!
Not even a lone keyboard warrior begging for an audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.