Clarification of A20.52 rule please

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

Another dumb question.......my search gives nothing so any help appreciated please.

My opponent has one squad guarding one and a half squads of prisoners. Can it fire or is it prevented from doing so by A20.52? Or is that rule just for CC?

Many thanks

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
The rule says that any guard whose US# is lower than the prisoners it guards (as in your example) cannot attack/interdict non-prisoners (including the use of SW). Period.

Such a guard has only half FP to use versus non-prisoners when attacking in CC (though full FP for Defense and versus the prisoners themselves). {EDIT}

Last edited:

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rule says that any guard whose US# is lower than the prisoners it guards (as in your example) cannot attack/interdict non-prisoners (including the use of SW). Period.

Such a guard has only half FP to use against it's prisoners to attack them with in CC (though full FP for Defense).
Are you sure about that? I think an unbroken Guard's CC firepower is full-strength against its prisoners and half-strength against non-prisoners.... in those cases where the prisoners are CC'ing a broken guard -- the guard defends at full firepower but can't attack at all.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure about that? I think an unbroken Guard's CC firepower is full-strength against its prisoners and half-strength against non-prisoners.... in those cases where the prisoners are CC'ing a broken guard -- the guard defends at full firepower but can't attack at all.
Thanks Pyth! My answer went off the rails a bit! I should always stick to the question at hand (which was about IFT attacks).

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Another dumb question.......my search gives nothing so any help appreciated please.

My opponent has one squad guarding one and a half squads of prisoners. Can it fire or is it prevented from doing so by A20.52? Or is that rule just for CC?

Many thanks
My question is why does he have a squad guarding 1.5 squads. He should deploy the squad (during the current Fire Phase) and fire the HS that isn't a guard.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My question is why does he have a squad guarding 1.5 squads. He should deploy the squad (during the current Fire Phase) and fire the HS that isn't a guard.
Talk to him, not me :)

In the end I solved the problem for him. I shot at the guard, got a NMC result which he passed and his prisoners went from 1.5 squads to a half squad............