Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Liked Dilbert but wasn't worth buying the local paper for just one comic.
I agree, IMO, the current crop of comics don't justify a newspaper subscription. I get my Dilbert fix from the 'everyday peel-off-a-page' desk calendar. I did the same for The Far Side.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree, IMO, the current crop of comics don't justify a newspaper subscription. I get my Dilbert fix from the 'everyday peel-off-a-page' desk calendar. I did the same for The Far Side.
The whole idea of a newspaper is obsolete. Why pay for yesterday’s news.

Too bad in some ways. Traditional Cartoons do not have near as much of an audience.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The whole idea of a newspaper is obsolete. Why pay for yesterday’s news.
Disagree.

Today's "news", i.e. "instant" news are more often than not incomplete, or worse, hearsay, mere assertion without substance.

It takes time to collect facts and information. It takes time to check facts. It takes time to put facts into context.

This can't be done within instants, minutes or even hours.

Instead, the entire Twitter blurt etc. is completely superfluous except as a potential alert that there might be something to scrutinize further. Replacing one "insta-news" with an endless chain of yet newer "insta-news" fails to scrutinize anything and might as well obfuscate the real valuable information beneath a pile of meaningless fluff.

A good weekly newspaper will have you better informed (should you actually take the time to read it) than watching a week of TV news or wasting your time with meaningless Twitter sh**.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Back on topic...

May have already appeared on this thread, but worth a re-visit if so.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It did. The Schofield tank from New Zealand. Though a bit of an emergency job, given what material and industrial resources was available to NZ, it was quite good. It definitely was far, far better than its competitor, the Bob Semple (Ugh!). Though having an OT turret it was competitive with, if not significantly better, than the CT British Light Tank Mk VI. I'd definitely give it an "A" for effort.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
British Birch Gun Mk III, 2 produced (1 Mk I, 4 Mk II). Carried a 18lbr on a Vickers Medium Mk II.

US Holt Gas-Electric Tank, 1917. 1 Built, carrying a Vickers 2.95" mountain gun and 2 Vickers MG. Power from a 90 HP engine driving a GE generator which in turn drove 2 electric motors, one to each track. It preceded the German's Ferdinand/Elephant drive system by 26 years.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
British Birch Gun Mk III, 2 produced (1 Mk I, 4 Mk II). Carried a 18lbr on a Vickers Medium Mk II.

US Holt Gas-Electric Tank, 1917. 1 Built, carrying a Vickers 2.95" mountain gun and 2 Vickers MG. Power from a 90 HP engine driving a GE generator which in turn drove 2 electric motors, one to each track. It preceded the German's Ferdinand/Elephant drive system by 26 years.
" My AFV knowledge is above average........ " on the Ask Paul thread.
Really Paul? And Stephen Hawking is just your above average physicist. Your enormous modesty is exceeded only by your encyclopedic knowledge about WWII AFVs. And your love for cats, can't overlook that!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It has been determined previously that the cats are the owners, and Paul is their pet... er... servant. ;)
Trust me, I know that. Servant, lackey, breadwinner and he who makes the poop disappear. The only thing crazier than having a cat is not having more than one.

Tried to upload pic of my reproduction WWI recruitment poster for the U.S. Tank Corps that has a ferocious black cat leaping out of a backdrop of WWI tanks in action with the logo " Treat em rough ". Too large to upload. Saw it, had to have it. The best of both worlds .

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I recognise the first as likely a Birch Gun, but not as I remembered it. I then Wiki-ed it and found about the Mk III. For the Holt I had a vague memory of something from a 50+ year old tank book ... WW1, US, Holt? steam tank? ... and looked it up and found it. I don't keep such data in my head. I do manage to retain a rough direction to the right answer. Sometimes it's just "that reminds me a bit of X" and follow/google that initial lead. Having a very good library and reasonable proficiency in web searching makes completion possible. It's the old 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration thing.

I view cats as adopted non-human children. Like children they have overheads and are not obedient, but my experience is that they give great affection. The only bond a cat has is with its mother and a human becomes a replacement mother. A regular thing is one or more of my cats abandoning it's food to look for petting/attention. That is despite that cats are not pack animals and thus you cannot be pack leader, unlike with dogs.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I recognise the first as likely a Birch Gun, but not as I remembered it. I then Wiki-ed it and found about the Mk III. For the Holt I had a vague memory of something from a 50+ year old tank book ... WW1, US, Holt? steam tank? ... and looked it up and found it. I don't keep such data in my head. I do manage to retain a rough direction to the right answer. Sometimes it's just "that reminds me a bit of X" and follow/google that initial lead. Having a very good library and reasonable proficiency in web searching makes completion possible. It's the old 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration thing.

I view cats as adopted non-human children. Like children they have overheads and are not obedient, but my experience is that they give great affection. The only bond a cat has is with its mother and a human becomes a replacement mother. A regular thing is one or more of my cats abandoning it's food to look for petting/attention. That is despite that cats are not pack animals and thus you cannot be pack leader, unlike with dogs.
The 5 " kittens " seem to consider me their mother even though she is still here. Probably because I feed them and make their poop disappear.

I was a Machinist Mate in the Navy so the idea of a steam powered tank is intriguing. As the early farm tractors were steam driven it's really not that strange.

Scalded to death or burnt to death, neither seem like the best way to check out.
In the steam tank at least you didn't have to smell the petrol. Thinking about it something had to fire the boiler, I doubt it was coal but who, except His Paulness, knows?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perfect! Now we need a hat, a sceptre, and a chair. Maybe a fancy chair too.
Perhaps a seat from a tank, a tankers helmet and I don't know what for the scepter. Any ideas? What a great avatar that would make! Only befitting His Paulness.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
Cats were worshipped by the early Egyptians as gods, and the cats have never forgotten this.

Status
Not open for further replies.