Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 26 44.1%

• Total voters

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assault On Iwo Jima has 15 votes? Such a bland name for such a vicious fight, come on people let loose your inner imagination, Ares' Arena 13607, Mars' Massacre 13608or the Devils Playground 13609.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Assault On Iwo Jima has 15 votes? Such a bland name for such a vicious fight, come on people let loose your inner imagination, Ares' Arena , Mars' Massacre or the Devils Playground .
ok

how bout

Blood Gore Massacre Death Festival On A S*t Pile of Volcanic Ashes ?

Edited by moderator to remove profanity.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
One of Glennbo's least favourite scenario titles is "Sea Of Tranquility" for obvious reasons.

I think understating the Iwo battle would be a good idea. A sort of contrast to the real thing.

Like "Ashes of Contemplation".....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Letters From Iwo Jima was originally going to be called Black Sand, Red Sun if I am not mistaken.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think understating the Iwo battle would be a good idea. A sort of contrast to the real thing.

Like "Ashes of Contemplation".....
Wow...
Such a compelling and inspirational title for a war-game module portraying one of the most violent battles of the second war. Be sure to include a pack of Sominex tablets in each box.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think tipping the hat to the flag raising photo that's iconic to the battle is good.

Raising the Flag: Iwo Jima (which I think is similar to Don's earlier suggestion) would be my suggestion.
The map is nowhere near where the flag was raised, though. And the famous photo was in essence, a publicity stunt since it was just a replacement for the first flag to go up. IIRC while the first flag raising was a big deal, few even noticed when the flag was replaced, which was the event immortalized by the two photographers. The gesture itself meant not a lot since it went up on D+4 and fighting on the island lasted until D+37 or so.

I like the Meat Grinder suggestion, if that is indeed what the place was called during the battle. Or even combining two of the more popular suggestions, to get Assault on Iwo Jima: The Meat Grinder.

If MMP ever did additional HASL set there, it could set the stage for additional titles, i.e. Assault on Iwo Jima: Beach Red or Assault on Iwo Jima: Suribachi etc.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Wow...
Such a compelling and inspirational title for a war-game module portraying one of the most violent battles of the second war. Be sure to include a pack of Sominex tablets in each box.
Be nice!

But yeah, it sounds like a teen vampire novel rather than a wargame.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Wow...
I hope you realise that I was not being serious!

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I agree that reference to the iconic flag raising isn’t really accurate considering the distance from Mount Surabachi. The second photo, the “publicity stunt”, was inspirational not so much to the Marines and sailors on Iwo as it was to the people of the United States. It represented the hope of upcoming victory amidst the battlefield sacrifices of friends, family, and fellow Americans.

On topic, change my vote to Assault on Iwo Jima: The Meatgrinder!

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you realise that I was not being serious!
Sometimes one can never tell around here!

If the Iwo Jima module is ever published, and turns out to be a high quality, well play tested product, I would be thrilled to purchase and play it... regardless of which title is selected. I'm sure certain marketing considerations would made prior to selecting a title for the product.

On a side note, I've noticed that none of the various Bounding Fire products seem to be encumbered with silly titles. JMO.

Last edited:

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe send a note to the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation Or the Marine Corps History Divison and see if they can come up with some ideas from their members.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes one can never tell around here!

If the Iwo Jima module is ever published, and turns out to be a high quality, well play tested product, I would be thrilled to purchase and play it... regardless of which title is selected. I'm sure certain marketing considerations would made prior to selecting a title for the product.

On a side note, I've noticed that none of the various Bounding Fire products seem to be encumbered with silly titles. JMO.
Was trying to come up with a catchy title but essentially came to the same conclusion that the vast majority of people who will buy this will do so regardless of the title. I doubt that very few non ASL players would purchase it just because it had a great title, with the possible exception of Marines. Make it appealing to them and you might get some additional sales. Advertise in the Marine Times ( ? ) or whatever their magazine is called.