• Total voters

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Don't know what say about YOU, all I know is that I can't say it ("Hakka Päälle", that is). Probably dislocate my tongue trying to pronounce it.
Pronounced the way it's spelled, of course.

Google translate seems to do an ok job with its online pronounciation guide - click the little speaker icon when you go into the site. But - I'm not Finnish.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The area of the map really covers what became known as "The Meat Grinder" so I think that could be a very apt title.

USMC Hyperwar article: The stoutest defenses in the area were at terrain features called Hill 382 (which the Japanese called Nidan Iwa), the Amphitheater, Turkey Knob, and the smashed village of Minami. During the days of desperate fighting required to seize and hold this incredible stronghold, these several closely related positions become known collectively as the "Meat Grinder".

or you could give it the Japanese title "Nidan Iwa" but that would probably always take explaining (?)

Sulfer Isalnd is a decent title but this map doesn't cover the whole island -really just the area named "The Meat Grinder". There we have a winner! :):):)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Much ado about nothing, how hard is it to say "the Finn Module".
It's actually harder than saying Hakkaa Päälle, as it is one more syllable depending on the brand of English you use. ("Mah-jel" or "Mod-jew-ell")

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The contrarian in me has to say;
Makin Island raid
Shanghai 4th marines surrendering
Pelilieu - if you take out surrendered Korean labourers

Some historical due diligence might be needed.

Any other takers?
Just checked wikipedia's take on Peleliu. The casualty numbers are virtually the same. Both about 10,000.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Makin Island did have a greater number of casualties for the Marines. But the numbers were below 1000. It was a much smaller battle. But yes...the Japanese caused greater damage then they received.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Black Sand Red Blood

Minimalist: Iwo

Kobiachi’s Cluster****.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There are a few other names that have occurred to me.

"A Pacific War Legend"
"Caves, Courage & Crossfire"
"Jungles Of Stone" (A CH title)
"The Meat Grinder"

"Caves, Courage & Crossfire" is my favourite. "A Pacific War Legend" sounds rather fine and grand. "Jungles Of Stone" is evocative of the island. And finally "The Meat Grinder" is the most self explanatory.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Iwo Jima was also known as Sulfur Island, "Black sand and sulfur" or "Caves and sulfur." ("Suffering," "Sweat," and "Sulfur" are alliterative, but it seems like you are trying to avoid cheesy names, for which I commend you.)
Sweaty, Suffering, Sucatash, Sulfer? Yosemite Sam would approve. :)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just in a logical sense, the area covered (on Honza's map) is the "Meatgrinder" area of the actual battle. The title would need no explanation. You buy this module and you can simulate the USMC assault on the Japanese defenses for this area of Iwo Jima. It is simple.

I had suggested 'The Sands of Iwo Jima' but I am not sure that it fits this module just because of the designed map.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just in a logical sense, the area covered (on Honza's map) is the "Meatgrinder" area of the actual battle. The title would need no explanation. You buy this module and you can simulate the USMC assault on the Japanese defenses for this area of Iwo Jima. It is simple.

I had suggested 'The Sands of Iwo Jima' but I am not sure that it fits this module just because of the designed map.
It is not just the Meatgrinder....it is also the approach to that area. It starts on D-Day once the Marines are ashore (since the landings were uncontested)...the soldiers reached the Meatgrinder about 4 or 5 days later and then fought over that area for about 10 days.
The CG is 14 days (dates) long. So it is true that most of it is about the fighting at the Meatgrinder. But there is always that build up to it - the first 4 or 5 days.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is not just the Meatgrinder....it is also the approach to that area. It starts on D-Day once the Marines are ashore (since the landings were uncontested)...the soldiers reached the Meatgrinder about 4 or 5 days later and then fought over that area for about 10 days.
The CG is 14 days (dates) long. So it is true that most of it is about the fighting at the Meatgrinder. But there is always that build up to it - the first 4 or 5 days.
One possibility would be to split that into 2 CG'S. A prelude CG of 4 or 5 dates, depending on your info and a followup CG of 10 or 9, again depending on your info and then one big one. Essentially getting three CG'S out of one and giving people more chance to choose their level of time engagement spent.

Personally I would always choose the big one, but some folks have more limited time.