Firelane and cowering

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,

I understand that if the attack laying down a firelane cowers then the firelane is not placed. If I fire only the MG and place a firelane then later, the squad First Fires at another target and cowers what happens to the firelane? I have always thought the firelane would be cancelled but looking at A9.223 there is no mention that the squad cowering causes the firelane to be cancelled, only marked final fired. The three things that cancel a firelane are the MG malfunctions, the manning infantry is eliminated/broken/pinned or the at the end of the MPh. Cowering of the manning infantry in a separate attack is not part of those three things. In addtion A7.9 on cowering specifically exempts firelanes from being effected by cowering.

It seems that I may have been playing this wrong for a while or that I can't find a reference to the rule that says the firelane is cancelled if the manning infantry cowers on a subsequent (not subsequent first fire) attack.

Insight from the hive mind?

Mike

buser333

Reaction score
Hello all,

I understand that if the attack laying down a firelane cowers then the firelane is not placed. If I fire only the MG and place a firelane then later, the squad First Fires at another target and cowers what happens to the firelane? I have always thought the firelane would be cancelled but looking at A9.223 there is no mention that the squad cowering causes the firelane to be cancelled, only marked final fired. The three things that cancel a firelane are the MG malfunctions, the manning infantry is eliminated/broken/pinned or the at the end of the MPh. Cowering of the manning infantry in a separate attack is not part of those three things. In addtion A7.9 on cowering specifically exempts firelanes from being effected by cowering.

It seems that I may have been playing this wrong for a while or that I can't find a reference to the rule that says the firelane is cancelled if the manning infantry cowers on a subsequent (not subsequent first fire) attack.

Mike
When I first started playing I had assumed the same thing you did. But, I agree, FL is not cancelled in this situation.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe we had a similar (if not the exact) question asked here just a short while ago. I'd try to do a search and post a link but I'm a Luddite when it comes to such things. I was surprised that once lain, a cowering firer has no effect on the FL that has already been put down.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe we had a similar (if not the exact) question asked here just a short while ago. I'd try to do a search and post a link but I'm a Luddite when it comes to such things. I was surprised that once lain, a cowering firer has no effect on the FL that has already been put down.
A Luddite, sir, actively resists progress. I view your difficulties as reflecting mere technical, and temporary, incompetence. Incompetence is nothing to be ashamed of: I have loads of it.

Peace!

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello all,

Mike
You forgot any enemy unit that enters the hex such as a ht, AFV, berserker.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You forgot any enemy unit that enters the hex such as a ht, AFV, berserker.
This is why firelanes don’t work sometimes. Think twice because any old tank or what have you can make a bypass drive by and insta cancel it. This has cost me in the past, ruined awesome crisscrossing firelanes.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
At least an AFV has to be CE to enter a Location to cancel a Fire Lane unless it actually ends its MPh in the Location. Just passing through without any vulnerable PRC does not automatically cancel the Fire Lane.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
This is absolutely new to me.. may you give the reference?
Surely not playing well.
Thanks

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See EXC in A9.223
Studying the exception leads to more questions:

(1) If an unarmored vehicle with no PRC enters the Location, but does not stop, is the Fire Lane still required to be canceled? I'll bet no, but the text could be read otherwise.

(2) If an AFV with no vulnerable PRC enters the Location, but does not stop, MAY the Fire Lane be canceled? Here I'll bet yes, 'cause all the exception does is cancel the requirement of cancellation.

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
At least an AFV has to be CE to enter a Location to cancel a Fire Lane unless it actually ends its MPh in the Location. Just passing through without any vulnerable PRC does not automatically cancel the Fire Lane.
I understand this as referring only to firer's location: "only if a TPBF/CC-Reaction-Fire situation occurs", as well as "even if the unit entering the MG's hex does so across the hexside of the Fire Lane".

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
(1) If an unarmored vehicle with no PRC enters the Location, but does not stop, is the Fire Lane still required to be canceled? I'll bet no, but the text could be read otherwise.
No, otherwise it wouldn't be an exception.

(2) If an AFV with no vulnerable PRC enters the Location, but does not stop, MAY the Fire Lane be canceled? Here I'll bet yes, 'cause all the exception does is cancel the requirement of cancellation.
Yes, it may still be cancelled.