Dinant: Rommel on the Meuse

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Purist wrote”*It appears that even if the MA is not repaired, on a 2-5 the tank can return to the fight without the MA.”

It doesn’t say returned. It says retained They are kept Offboard until the next CG Interphase. Where they to try again.
Edited

Okay. I thought "retained" meant 'no spares today Hans, you'll have to make do with the machine gun."

So, for a vehicle that has exited the map it would be placed in the appropriate Holding Box and the dr made. Anything but a 1 and the vehicle remains in the box.

For vehicles that are under recall that have not reached the board edge exit area by the end of a scenario do they move to the appropriate holding box as well and then make a dr? Or do they remain on map and must exit in the next scenario, thus delaying the dr for repair until following refit phase?

It looks like they are just moved from the map to the closest exit area Holding Box.

CG 4.6063 notes that only vehicles w/o a TI can roll for repair of weapons. At which point does a vehicle lose its TI status after exiting map?

I'll look again at 4.6062 and 4.6063

Cheers.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Edited

Okay. I thought "retained" meant 'no spares today Hans, you'll have to make do with the machine gun."

So, for a vehicle that has exited the map it would be placed in the appropriate Holding Box and the dr made. Anything but a 1 and the vehicle remains in the box.

For vehicles that are under recall that have not reached the board edge exit area by the end of a scenario do they move to the appropriate holding box as well and then make a dr? Or do they remain on map and must exit in the next scenario, thus delaying the dr for repair until following refit phase?

It looks like they are just moved from the map to the closest exit area Holding Box.

CG 4.6063 notes that only vehicles w/o a TI can roll for repair of weapons. At which point does a vehicle lose its TI status after exiting map?

I'll look again at 4.6062 and 4.6063

Cheers.
I just read through that section. All your questions are answered in 4.6062-4.6063.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The May 13AM scenario ended at the end of Turn 7 with French dr of 2. Casualties are definitely lopsided in the French favour. The German losses amount to approximately 3.5 of 9 AE and perhaps 14.5 - 15.5 of 33 regular rifle squads, 2 x 7-0, 2 x 8-0 and an 8-1. On the other hand the French lost 1 - 1.5 of 39 French rifle squads. One German 8-1 is also wounded and his fate remains to be determined in the RePh. A Pz 38(t) has been knocked out with a Pz IIF under an UK marker and a second Pz IIF has been recalled with a disabled MA. It is interesting to note that the Germans have created two Heroes and one Heroic 8-1 (now dead) while the French have generated two Heroes w/ accompanying 457 BH to 458 and a new SMC 7-0. Only one German 468 AE went Berserk, so the BH results have been generally positive for both sides.

Most of the German losses were inflicted in the northern and central bridgeheads from three fire missions from French 100+ OBA and the two hidden 81* Mor using spotted fire (spotters also hidden) pounding away at anybody west of the river. For the most part the French avoided remaining exposed to German firepower for long once revealed and usually pulled back to regain concealment before advancing forward again. The 37* Inf guns have provided good service, breaking more than a few troops but not getting more than one or two kills. Their 8 morale crews has helped them survive a lot of FP thrown their way and all four guns have had their crews break at one point or another so far. In the last two turns the French resorted to smoke from the mortars to help protect troops in the northern zone as they redeployed.

Here in the south the Germans are pushing hard to break out of the narrow bridgehead in western Dinant. A HE CH on the 468 AE resulted in a Hero and a fanatic engineer,... so he was jumped in CC with a ? 457. While the ambush was successful neither side managed a kill. Reinforcements from both sides are coming up to support and it remains to be seen how that shakes out.

Up in the north the German bridgeheads have been destroyed. A prisoner HS had to be released near M28 and it grabbed an LMG lying on the ground, then entered a stone building in the centre. French plans aimed at recovering the two LMGs sitting on the ground by the smoke in MM23 have been escalated to the high command for approval along with a request for reinforcements. The French have almost entirely withdrawn from the lowlands in the centre as it would be a death trap once the German reinforcements arrive this afternoon. The French will have to re-occupy this ground once the Germans set up a couple of bridges that can be captured and the French exploit their attack east of the Meuse en route to the Rhine.

In the back field the French have set some some squads to digging foxholes in likely fall back positions along the suspected exit routes. Those shown are the one's the Germans knows about from the DR's made for entrenching. Here is the work being down at the top of the paved N932 from Dinant to Philippeville.

Here on the Rue de Meez and Route de Sommiere two more squads are busy digging emplacements. Off map at R8 another foxhole has been prepared.

Now we refit, as much as possible, and get ready for the afternoon battle.

L'audace, mes soldats, tojours l'audace!!

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just two quick notes. You are remembering the +2 TH DRM for Spotted fire and the drop of one in ROF?
Also, the unit that succeeded in ambush but whiffed in CC could have still withdrawn after the Germans rolled back. Aware of that as well, correct?

Otherwise, dying to comment on strategy, but I will keep doing the monk thing and honor my vow of silence. :)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Yup on the +2 TH and RoF drop. There has only been one run of 3-4 shots from a mortar and a few second shots. Most of the time one shot.

Also knew I could withdraw but wanted to pin les bosche in place.

Spotters used 1 of the HIP squad equivalents and the Mortars cannot be seen, yet, from current German positions. Added to this,... all three PBs are still hidden (but within 3 hexes of the river), all three 25LL ATGs also remain hidden and 1.5 squad equivalents plus SW and SMCs stacked with them remain HIP.

2 HIP HMG w/ crews, an MMG w/ crew and 8-0 have been revealed = 1.5 SE of allowed at start HIP

There have been so many times I have wanted to reveal additional HIP units but the Germans are getting 70 CPP for the afternoon, so I need to keep them guessing,..... discipline, discipline, discipline.

I should also note that I don't even bother trying to man positions near the river anymore. It just leads to broken troops that need to be rallied.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
This past week, in a couple of long evening sessions, the bright and effervescent Lee M and I managed to get through the first turn of the May 13 Afternoon scenario. As expected, a flood of German armour entered the map along with a four Opel Blitz trucks and a company of infantry on foot. Overhead rumbled the spotting rounds of both the German divisional artillery and battalion mortars (after each battery drew a red chit.

I couldn't quite account for all the German CPPs and figure there is about 15 CPP or so off map or saved for the next scenario.

The German northern attack is recommencing despite the losses suffered in the morning. This may work out as most of the boats are north of the weir but we will see what the French can do. Both sides are making use of Smoke and the French 81*s continue to harrass the crossing point(s). German traffic control has its work cut out for it.

<Note the German ? stacks in UU19-20 are actually in QQ23 and 24>

The entry area used by the Germans in this turn did not come as too much of a surprise. Late in the morning a number of Germans still east of the river shifted north, rather than south, so I figured the German attack would try to hit both flanks. What I could not plan for was what my own reinforcements would look like. The Germans know I have placed four (4) new roadblocks (3 CPP), effectively blocking the northern re-entrant. The Germans also know French air support was purchased as two fighter-bombers, w/ bombs, arrived on French player turn one (3 CPP). The French also have one module of OBA (~6 CPP, also drew a red chit) and two vehicle platoons (4 CPP each),... which pretty much accounts for the 20 CPP.

If the Germans are going to come on again in the north, so be it. I have the troops in position to meet them but German firepower is enormous. At the start of Turn 1 I had five of six 37* Inf guns in place to engage the Germans but by the end of the turn three crews had broken, one had malfunctioned and one driven away from its trench position in EE22. I figure some French armour would be well placed supporting the infantry in Bouvignes-sur-Meuse./

The chappies in EE21 are IN the Trench

The French northern defences:

Down south the infantry battle continues as the Germans press south along the bank supported by a number of machine guns positions. There were some French successes as a Large raft was shot to pieces by a 2 FP shot from the heights. Along the river front a German push by a Fanatic 468 AE, a Hero and a 467 ran into heavy French defensive fire from both levels of KK42 that included a French Hero. The assault was turned back by additional fire from a 37* Inf gun upstairs that broke the squads and wounded the Hero (the 37* malfunctioned). The squads routed away but the wounded hero was jumped by a ? 458 w/LMG and killed, the French retreating away under ? (see the French control marker).

The German acquisition markers show the volume of tank and mortar fire used break the infantry gun positions above the cliffs.

A lot will take place during this scenario but the French counterattack aimed at the Rhine should start taking shape soon.

I am not sure the French right will be able to stop the German attack if they are reinforced (he could have another company or mixed force still to enter. With this in mind I have sent a second platoon of armour to back up these lads. If the mechanised cavalry are not needed for the defence, perhaps they can lead the counterattack over the river and on to the Rhine.

? Hey! It could happen. ?

Last edited:

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

"The Germans also know French air support was purchased as two fighter-bombers, w/ bombs, arrived on French player turn one (3 CPP). "

the French planes cost 2 and this CG does not have the "purchase for more" rule RB/RO, etc. have so how/why did you give them a 50% tip in CPP??

French planes and German planes are all random arrival in this.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,... your right there. I wrote down 3 CPP,... I guess I have 1 CPP in the bank.

The dr was a 4 so that accounts for the number.

As for arrival? That is just an unforced error. I'll remove those over eager pilots and their tankbusters from the map and start rolling again in turn 2.

A.2 (keeping them on map) wouldn't be right in this case.

Cheers!

Last edited:

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotcha! I leapt to the conclusion that you "bought" them early like you can in other CGs. Just forgetting to roll is another way to get them early :)
I managed to roll a 1 to get them on T2 but one is in melee and damaged already and neither did anything in their attacks...

phlegm027

Reaction score
Just two quick notes. You are remembering the +2 TH DRM for Spotted fire and the drop of one in ROF?
Also, the unit that succeeded in ambush but whiffed in CC could have still withdrawn after the Germans rolled back. Aware of that as well, correct?

Otherwise, dying to comment on strategy, but I will keep doing the monk thing and honor my vow of silence. :)
It is hard not to comment. But it’s interesting see it through the eyes of two players for the 1st time.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Best way to do it is "fresh eyes". More of a natural feel to it. I'm sure the German and French soldiers of whatever rank were seing the ground for the first time as well.

The benefit Lee and I have is a greater degree of omnipotence. I'm sure the French defenders heard but could not see most of those Mk IVs until they broke cover along the river bank and started blasting suspect positions on the far side. Still, it must have been trouser soiling experience.

Edit: There will be a delay in our regular scheduled programing. Lee has been delayed by some sort of matrimonial annual spousal responsibility involving dining out, flowers and googly eyes. ?

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best way to do it is "fresh eyes". More of a natural feel to it. I'm sure the German and French soldiers of whatever rank were seing the ground for the first time as well.

The benefit Lee and I have is a greater degree of omnipotence. I'm sure the French defenders heard but could not see most of those Mk IVs until they broke cover along the river bank and started blasting suspect positions on the far side. Still, it must have been trouser soiling experience.

Edit: There will be a delay in our regular scheduled programing. Lee has been delayed by some sort of matrimonial annual spousal responsibility involving dining out, flowers and googly eyes. ?
Man does not live by ASL alone ;-).

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
It being a a bank holiday here in Canada (Victoria Day) LDM (Lee) and I were able to get in the Game Turn 2 this morning. As Lee struggles with a bad traffic issue made worse by an immobilised SdKfz 7t blocking the main north/south route near SS25, French artillery and mortars brought in a mix of HE and Smoke to make his life more difficult. The French Battalion Mortars did well in Turn 2, killing two 3-raft boats, an assault boat and scoring an HE CH on the lower level of a stone building below a 467 w/ MMG. German fire was likewise intense, being a mix of HE and Smoke looking to blind or spot/break/kill the French observers and spotters.

With only a few boats destroyed in the morning battle, the Germans still have a good number available on shore north of the weir.

German 81* Mortars have also been spotted moving up as they jump from their trucks. Once set up these will make life more uncomfortable for any French troops who show themselves in LOS of the east bank. There are also two additional Opel Blitz trucks that are probably carrying two more mortars.

The Northern German attack:

For their part the French are keeping under cover and concealed. With two German spotting rounds on map all of the infantry are either digging in or moving to stone buildings. There was a brief consideration regarding bringing the northern armoured fist into battle but after checking the TK#s and the number of German tanks on the east bank it was decided to hold the armour in reserve.

The new roadblocks in Bouvignes-sur-Meuse will need to be defended as long as possible to delay any German chance of clearing those blockages and opening the road.

The question now is whether or not to dig more foxholes near the ElRR. This might make a gift of cover for the German infantry once they cross the rail line

The French Northern Sector:

In the south the Germans continue to move troops up to reinforce the bridgehead. The arrival of two Pz IVs will probably mean manning the 37* Inf guns will be a tricky affair. The lack of firepower that can see the river in the south will make targeting boats extremely difficult.

The CC HH33 can be removed as the prisoners did not attack the broken guards (sniper) and other troops have arrived to suppress the uprising.

Southern Bridgehead:

The last photo shows the right-hand armoured pincer working its way towards the frontline. The French are shifting some infantry reserves to help ensure the German bridgehead is kept as small as possible

Last edited: