VASL LOS with Elevation?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Note that I have reported this elsewhere but here it is again:

I have stated this before. The LOS tool is broken both on Windows and Mac. If you save a game and reopen it the LOS tool no longer works (reports blocked LOS or hindrances and range), likewise if you set/use the Terrain SSR for walls or hedges the LOS tool no longer works. The error reports that the LOS has been disabled in one of the Java classes.

I have reported this yo Zoultan on Discord and he sent my log and save files up.

The work around to get the LOS tool to work again is to pull new boards and don’t use the Terrain SSR feature and DO NOT save the game to prevent the code from disabling the LOS tool.

Hopefully this bug gets fixed.
I feel your pain and have replied in the other thread that you mentioned: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/los-thread-problem.157614/#post-2018961

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In 6.5.0 I added new rubble counters that you can adjust the level on so that you can rubble upper level buildings and the los tool will still understand that there is a higher elevation/obstacle in the hex. On the toolbar, click the cellar counter and then select the funky looking half-brown, half-green wooden rubble counter. Drag it on the map and then right-click and from the menu select the proper type (wood/stone) and level. It worked in testing!

Remember that LOS only works on RBv2 not other versions of the RB board.
Thanks Doug, these are great and working well for me. Would it be easy to do something similar for shellholes (to remove the obstacle/hindrance of burnt out wooden rubble, woods, brush etc)?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Doug, these are great and working well for me. Would it be easy to do something similar for shellholes (to remove the obstacle/hindrance of burnt out wooden rubble, woods, brush etc)?
On the surface it would seem possible but knowing VASL there will be complications. LOL. We can add it to the list.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks to you and all the VASL contributors!

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume you are familiar with the LazyLOS tool? With something as funky and calculating blind hexes I like to have two forms of verification.
Actually, I've seen it, but don't understand what it is, so haven't used it--pray tell!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
It is a template that allows you to input:
  • Level (elevation) of the start of the LOS
  • Distance to an obstacle
  • level of the obstacle
  • Type of obstacle (crest line/non-crestline)
  • Distance from obstacle to end of LOS
  • Level of the end of LOS
It then calculates if the LOS is open or blocked due to blind hexes behind the obstacle.