VoTG CG1, The Central Railway Station

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
End of first Campaign Scenario.

VoTG CG1, The Central Railway Station (redux), 1st campaign day, 15 Sep 42.

My Soviet NKVD with attached militia and other supporting elements were on the receiving end of a very strong attack by elements of Alan Saltzman’s German 71st Infantry Division. Initially their main effort appeared to be in the northwest, apparently attempting to isolate the station from receiving reinforcements. A pair of T-34s aided the defenders in that area and the Germans were unable to make much progress.

On the other side of street, however, they easily pushed back my inexperienced troops until an 82mm mortar and maxim MMG slowed their thrust.

Not much effort was made against the station, but it was held by nearly a company of fanatic NKVD troops.

Further south west the Germans managed to cross the train tracks and gain some ground in the park. Two T-34’s were destroyed in this area but a StuGIII was destroyed by a brave SMG squad and another StuGIII was immobilized by a 50mm mortar.

I declined to conduct a night counterattack and will bear the brunt of another German assault on the 16th.

Casualties were heavy among my conscripts and a pair of leaders were victims of sniper attacks. All three of the German assault guns were either destroyed or immobilized but one wreck was recovered. The Soviet tank recovery teams were unable to recover their wrecks.13121

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the victory conditions, the rules say the Germans must control all hexes of building F36 at scenario end, for all CG1 scenarios.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
End of 2nd Campaign Scenario.

On 16 September 42 the Germans launched another assault on the Central Railway Station and areas to the northeast. They made good progress and pushed the Soviets back into a smaller defensive perimeter. Two Soviet companies were in reserve and played little part, resting for the planned night counterattack. NKVD units defending the station were wiped out but caused heavy casualties among the German attackers.

Last edited:

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
End of 3rd Campaign Scenario.

A Soviet counterattack on the night of 16 September went much better than expected. The Soviets reclaimed all of the railway station and the rail yards to the north. In addition to suffering heavy casualties Germans will not be able to enter from most of the north on Sept 17th.13338

Last edited:

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be good to see a breakdown of forces on either side..
The Germans attacked on the 17th but were throw back by local counterattacks. Soviet troops forced the Germans into a perimeter in the north west corner while occupying the rest of the map. After three days, four scenarios and very heavy casualties the Germans had little strength to continue offensive operations. At this point the German player offered his concession.

The Soviets were able to preserve their force while maintaining pressure along the line. By the 17th the Germans were outnumbered by over a 3:2 ratio, and the majority of the Russians were now elite. The successful night counterattack on the 16th was the turning point. I didn’t fully comprehend the level of damage done to the Germans during that attack until I saw their pitiful remnants attacking again on the 17th.

Of the starting Soviet forces only one NKVD squad remained. Some 1st line squads battle hardened during the refit phase but most of the originals units we’re casualties.

My philosophy in campaigns, especially ones in urban areas, is to take as many infantry units as possible. After maxing out on infantry then I look at supporting elements. One needs bodies to defend the terrain.

Last edited: