Pillbox stacking A5.5 and actions to make space

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A 1-5-7 pillbox has a crew and a Gun. The pillbox is thus full.

1. if the crew dies what is the stacking cap then (i.e does the gun count as a hs for stacking puroposes or does it have to be possessed to count. (See A5.5 ..." an Infantry crew/HS is manning a Gun it is considered equal to a squad for stacking purposes."

2a Can a malfunctioned gun be destroyed as per A9.73? ..."A SW/Gun/vehicular-weapon may be destroyed or deliberately malfunctioned (instead of firing it) by the unit or inherent crew possessing it during any PFPh/DFPh in which the weapon and possessing unit would otherwise still be allowed to fire it (see 8.4 for DFPh restrictions)."...

2b As a malfunctioning gun can´t be fired does that mean that it can´t be destroyed in this manner to make stacking room in the pillbox?
As SWs has no stacking limits I see a potential sleaze by putting all the guns, the opponent needs to destroy/capture, in a PB as tehy cant be recovered to be destroyed forcing the oppo to try for SW destr by fire which is hard if in a PB tem..

3. How much stacking is a squad possessing a gun?

Last edited:

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Klas, with your answer on the second point it is not clear what question you answer.
Is it:
Can a malfunctioned gun be destroyed as per A9.73 (?) [No question mark in initial post.]
or
As a malfunctioning gun can´t be fired does that mean that it can´t be destroyed in this manner to make stacking room in the pillbox?
Makes a huge difference what question you did answer.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Klas, with your answer on the second point it is not clear what question you answer.
Is it:
Can a malfunctioned gun be destroyed as per A9.73 (?) [No question mark in initial post.]
or
As a malfunctioning gun can´t be fired does that mean that it can´t be destroyed in this manner to make stacking room in the pillbox?
Makes a huge difference what question you did answer.
Edited original post for clarity. Thx

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, a Malfunctioned Gun can be destroyed.

"possessing unit would otherwise still be allowed to fire it" - this refers to the possessing unit's capabilities - not the status of the Gun.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
3. How much stacking is a squad possessing a gun?
A5.5 should answer this - one squad.
Should the unthinkable have happened that Klas might have erred?

"A5.5 EQUIVALENTS: Five SMC equal a HS, and two non-Inherent-crews/HS equal a squad, but ≤ 4 SMC count as zero squad-equivalents. However, if an Infantry crew/HS is manning a Gun it is considered equal to a squad for stacking purposes. A squad's equivalent can be substituted for a squad which has been given special capabilities by a SSR so as to share those special capabilities (e.g., if a SSR specifies that a squad may set up hidden, two hidden HS can be used instead provided that nationality is allowed to Deploy HS)."

At least as I understand A5.5 it seems that a HS+Gun is already considered 1 squad-equivalent for stacking purposes, so I would believe that a full squad+Gun would be considered 1.5 squad-equivalents. Did I miss something?

If I got it right, then a squad could enter the 1+5+7 Pillbox with the unpossessed Gun in it, but it could not take possession of it, because that would make the combo exceed the stacking limit of the Pillbox. Consequently, the squad could not destroy the friggin' Gun. So close but yet so far...

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
At least as I understand A5.5 it seems that a HS+Gun is already considered 1 squad-equivalent for stacking purposes, so I would believe that a full squad+Gun would be considered 1.5 squad-equivalents. Did I miss something?
Yes. A clear statement in the rules.
Nothing says that you automatically add the Gun as 0.5 squad equivalent to the personel manning it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
At least as I understand A5.5 it seems that a HS+Gun is already considered 1 squad-equivalent for stacking purposes, so I would believe that a full squad+Gun would be considered 1.5 squad-equivalents.
It is not. The only thing special is that a HS/crew+Gun a considered a squad for stacking purposes. Nothing more, nothing less.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All right, you've got me convinced.

Of course, this is counterintuitive, but there we are.

Maybe this is a point, where a slight rewording of the rules in an ASLRB 3rd ed. could prevent some misunderstandings of a clear statement in the rules. ;)

von Marwitz