New Desperation Morale Blog Post

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I haven't read every post but we are managing quite well using skype in 'virtual' FtF CG of Dinant. A scenario would be even easier. It is a little slower than sitting across the table but faster than VASL. If trusting your opponent with the DR is an issue you can set up a video cam to face the tower. There is random.org that can be used while sharing your screen. It works very well even for multiple dice

It's not face to face but you can still interact normally and keep the human contact element.

Cheers.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Not slamming VASL at all zgrose. It's a wonderful tool.

The only delay would be in waiting for files (not all internet connections are equal). I understand that the latest iteration of VASL is quite smooth and if using Skype it's not a major issue. Still, for those who prefer the tactile experience of moving the playing pieces and the map boards it just 'feels' more ASL-like.

The best 'screen/monitor' is still the eyes - they're live, high definition and 3D,... even if assisted by corrective lenses ;)

If all options were exhausted I would use VASL as well but I admit it's been a lot o' years since my last VASL experience.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It's improved massively. Really worth another look.
The only real issue I have with VASL is that when I play at the table, the board is horizontal and when I play VASL, the board is vertical. I have taken to laying my monitor flat and it has made a world of difference. I find I focus better because the format is not so jarring. Other than that, VASL is the only thing in ASL providing more bang for the buck than Dispatches from the Bunker. -- jim

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'll be interesting to see when restrictions are eased and there is a reoccurrence spike if NY and NO will have less of a spike than say San Fran because they have built up more of the herd immunity.
Toronto may be the test, after thousands gathered in a local park just last weekend, including the mayor walking around with his mask pulled down. We'll see what happens to infection rates in two weeks.

FWIW I found this quote in the original post unintentionally funny: "In an ideal world, lockdowns would last as long as possible..."

Ummm, yeah, I think in an "ideal world" there would be no lockdowns at all, because that same ideal world doesn't have deadly pandemics. At least, mine doesn't.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Toronto may be the test, after thousands gathered in a local park just last weekend, including the mayor walking around with his mask pulled down. We'll see what happens to infection rates in two weeks.
I would be willing to bet money that you will see no noticeable spike in two weeks at all.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not slamming VASL at all zgrose. It's a wonderful tool.

The only delay would be in waiting for files (not all internet connections are equal). I understand that the latest iteration of VASL is quite smooth and if using Skype it's not a major issue. Still, for those who prefer the tactile experience of moving the playing pieces and the map boards it just 'feels' more ASL-like.

The best 'screen/monitor' is still the eyes - they're live, high definition and 3D,... even if assisted by corrective lenses ;)

If all options were exhausted I would use VASL as well but I admit it's been a lot o' years since my last VASL experience.
What are these “files” you are waiting for? I have been doing (pretty much) nothing but VASL for 7 years. It has been fast and smooth all through SE Asia, N Asia, Sydney, Canada, Mumbai, Dubai, east Africa .... London even.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
It's improved massively. Really worth another look.
Even got me after all these years to try it!
I'm sure I'll make the transition, especially now that I am retired and with more time on my hands (even with other activities such as cycling, hiking and a bit of golf). After watching the "Illuminating Rounds" video of Urban Guerillas it is very clear that VASL is very different than it was in the early 2000's.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do find VASL slightly slower than ftf play. While VASL allows you to do wonderful things with HIP and counter replacement and so on, I still find that issues with counter and stack manipulation slow play down quite a bit - I am more dexterous with a tweezer, counter-sucker and my sausage fingers than I am with a mouse, I suppose, and I am sure others feel the same. A lot of it comes down to experience, sure, but I've been using VASL for a few years now, and I still say "Bloody VASL!" quite a bit when a stack doesn't handle the way I want.

However, I fully recognize that this is a user issue, and acknowledge that VASL is wonderful. Anyone who isn't using it is either missing out, or has the luxury of a really robust ftf group in their area!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I do find VASL slightly slower than ftf play. While VASL allows you to do wonderful things with HIP and counter replacement and so on, I still find that issues with counter and stack manipulation slow play down quite a bit
It's an individual threshold, I've played at least a couple of opponents using VASL and speakerphone. Counter manipulation is pretty easy, and being able to remove certain markers with a single click is a help, not to mention being able to identify all the broken units at a glance. The slowest thing is always the multiple rule look ups, and of course you can't just show your opponent what you're reading, which makes it a bit more cumbersome and time-consuming.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
The only real issue I have with VASL is that when I play at the table, the board is horizontal and when I play VASL, the board is vertical. I have taken to laying my monitor flat and it has made a world of difference.
Hmmm... You can build retro gaming consoles with Space Invaders and Pacman and the like, using a Raspberry Pi, maybe I could make an ASL thingy as my next project...?

Touch-screen to drag pieces around, double-tap to expand stacks, animations for when you shoot at things, little explosions when you get a CH. Anyone want to fund a Kickstarter...? :)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
The only real issue I have with VASL is that when I play at the table, the board is horizontal and when I play VASL, the board is vertical. I have taken to laying my monitor flat and it has made a world of difference. I find I focus better because the format is not so jarring. Other than that, VASL is the only thing in ASL providing more bang for the buck than Dispatches from the Bunker. -- jim
Thanks Jim for the mention, much appreciated! Beginning work on Dispatch #50, playtesting Fury On the Logging Trail, there will be plenty of 'Bang for Your Buck' in that issue, and VASL Rocks! Vic.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm... You can build retro gaming consoles with Space Invaders and Pacman and the like, using a Raspberry Pi, maybe I could make an ASL thingy as my next project...?
Already done this ;) I found a place local to DC that sold old cabinets with working original monitors. I was able to find a VGA adapter and a monitor profile which was able to drive the CRT. When I was done, I had something like 500 games, it was coin operated, and a lot of fun. I also had four player positions to play old-school Gauntlet (Warrior needs food now).

My second Pi project was inspired by this book. I used a Wagu 6X6 as the base for mine. I had two Pi's and one Arduino. The Arduino drove a RP Lidar for to create a 360 point cloud to drive a SLAM (simultaneous mapping and Location), similar to what is done is self driving cars. One Pi handled the brains of the SLAM to help determine pathing and detect dangers (I had some 3-axis magnetometers to help determine if the robot was getting close to tipping over so it could stop before it did). I used one of the Pi's to drive the vision systems (one low mounted camera used when it was moving to detect collisions and fed into the SLAM, one binocular camera which was used to determine distances and help point a couple of other sensors I was using). When it was full complete, I could connect via WiFi to my PC which ran a small database. The robot could autonomously map my entry floor to my house and then hunt my two cats. It could recognize each cat, and would record in a database that created hot-spots on the map based on where they were found most often. I was in the process of adding a 6-degree of freedom robotic arm when I stopped. The arm was too heavy and the amount of batteries I had to carry was getting ridiculous. Of course, this week I just ordered a 3-D printer because I think I can design a much lighter arm with fewer degrees of freedom to meet my needs. I even order a new Pi for the Printer to run Octo-Pi. All told, I think I have 30'ish Pi's. This doesn't count the Jeston TX's. the Arduinos, and various other small form PC's I have laying around. And don't get me started on Stepper mortors, servo motors, and sensors.

Touch-screen to drag pieces around, double-tap to expand stacks, animations for when you shoot at things, little explosions when you get a CH. Anyone want to fund a Kickstarter...? :)
I think the problem with "touch" is the application has to be "touch enabled". I have not tried it, but I have hear VASL does not run on touch. I could fire it up on my Surface to try it out but then my printer will be here this week and I have much more interesting things in mind :) -- jim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Already done this ;) I found a place local to DC that sold old cabinets with working original monitors. I was able to find a VGA adapter and a monitor profile which was able to drive the CRT. When I was done, I had something like 500 games, it was coin operated, and a lot of fun. I also had four player positions to play old-school Gauntlet (Warrior needs food now).

My second Pi project was inspired by this book. I used a Wagu 6X6 as the base for mine. I had two Pi's and one Arduino. The Arduino drove a RP Lidar for to create a 360 point cloud to drive a SLAM (simultaneous mapping and Location), similar to what is done is self driving cars. One Pi handled the brains of the SLAM to help determine pathing and detect dangers (I had some 3-axis magnetometers to help determine if the robot was getting close to tipping over so it could stop before it did). I used one of the Pi's to drive the vision systems (one low mounted camera used when it was moving to detect collisions and fed into the SLAM, one binocular camera which was used to determine distances and help point a couple of other sensors I was using). When it was full complete, I could connect via WiFi to my PC which ran a small database. The robot could autonomously map my entry floor to my house and then hunt my two cats. It could recognize each cat, and would record in a database that created hot-spots on the map based on where they were found most often. I was in the process of adding a 6-degree of freedom robotic arm when I stopped. The arm was too heavy and the amount of batteries I had to carry was getting ridiculous. Of course, this week I just ordered a 3-D printer because I think I can design a much lighter arm with fewer degrees of freedom to meet my needs. I even order a new Pi for the Printer to run Octo-Pi. All told, I think I have 30'ish Pi's. This doesn't count the Jeston TX's. the Arduinos, and various other small form PC's I have laying around. And don't get me started on Stepper mortors, servo motors, and sensors.

I think the problem with "touch" is the application has to be "touch enabled". I have not tried it, but I have hear VASL does not run on touch. I could fire it up on my Surface to try it out but then my printer will be here this week and I have much more interesting things in mind :) -- jim
I played VASL on my iPad (using the iPad as an extra monitor to my Mac). Touch works pretty well, it's really no different from it being a touchpad/ mouse imposed over a screen. Double tap for left mouse click, 2 finger tap for right click menu etc.

Touchscreen works. Screen size on an iPad is another issue.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
I played VASL on my iPad (using the iPad as an extra monitor to my Mac). Touch works pretty well, it's really no different from it being a touchpad/ mouse imposed over a screen. Double tap for left mouse click, 2 finger tap for right click menu etc.

Touchscreen works. Screen size on an iPad is another issue.
What software are you using to add the iPad as a second screen?