VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Three requests from me:
  1. Make the CTRL+Click marker adjustable so that I can turn off the jumping of the map to the pointed location in preferences.
  2. Remove the labels on the Counters in 6.5.0 (That a north arrow is a compass I am able to figure out myself).
  3. Get rid of the stack display while hovering the mouse over a stack, it is not allowed to see your opponents stack unless you can show you have a unit in LOS.
The only solution I have seen to this is to keep a hidden concealment marker under every top counter in a stack, and that is way too cumbersome. On the same line I would love it if VASL actually could differentiate between your counters and the opponents so that all counters underneath the top one was unrevealed to your opponent. That way you would always have to ask your opponent if you wanted to know the contents of a stack.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The only solution I have seen to this is to keep a hidden concealment marker under every top counter in a stack, and that is way too cumbersome. On the same line I would love it if VASL actually could differentiate between your counters and the opponents so that all counters underneath the top one was unrevealed to your opponent. That way you would always have to ask your opponent if you wanted to know the contents of a stack.
you don’t PBeM much, I gather. ;)

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the mouse over, the setting only affects yourself. I would like to see something similar to the LOS tool in that your opponent gets a message when you inspect a stack similar to getting a message when your opponent checks a LOS. Don't know if this would work or not and double-click expand might not be possible to show an alert for.

The non-jumpy 'ctrl-left' click would be nice too. Better still incorporated into VASSAL itself as tons of games would benefit.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Forgive my ignorance but something came up the other day. My opponent queried whether I could VBM past a building - it looked too tight on VASL. We pulled the map and the gap was almost a half hex.

Why are the VASL maps so different from the MMP ones? Does MMP not allow you to import their maps? Or is it not possible to import information to make maps - it all has to be done from scratch?

Again - apologies for my ignorance - if this has been asked before please just point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Forgive my ignorance but something came up the other day. My opponent queried whether I could VBM past a building - it looked too tight on VASL. We pulled the map and the gap was almost a half hex.

Why are the VASL maps so different from the MMP ones? Does MMP not allow you to import their maps? Or is it not possible to import information to make maps - it all has to be done from scratch?
They are handcrafted, yes. Which board were you comparing in VASL to a meat-space board? Are was your meat-space board a mounted board or SK style? (edit) and which hex?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
They are handcrafted, yes. Which board were you comparing in VASL to a meat-space board? Are was your meat-space board a mounted board or SK style? (edit) and which hex?
Board 10 hex BB5. I wanted to bypass a tank on hexside BB5 / BB6. VASL looked tight. I compared to mounted mapboard 10 and the gap was huge. I do not know which map he used but the response was the same.

If you are one of the people who handcrafted these - many thanks. That has got to be a lot of work. Is there not a way to import the data?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Board 10 hex BB5. I wanted to bypass a tank on hexside BB5 / BB6. VASL looked tight. I compared to mounted mapboard 10 and the gap was huge. I do not know which map he used but the response was the same.
Looks to match the SK style boards, so maybe it's been updated since the mounted versions. I sure wish we could get the raw image files for boards! :)

VASL board 10

SK style board 10

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Do not git rid of this feature!

“ Get rid of the stack display while hovering the mouse over a stack, it is not allowed to see your opponents stack unless you can show you have a unit in LOS”

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I compared to mounted mapboard 10
The VASL maps have been designed to match the current, ASLSK-style maps, almost all of which have new artwork compared to the older mounted maps. In general, the artist for the updated boards did not make any particular effort to exactly match the older mounted maps, so you will see a great many differences in LOS, building depictions, obstacle hexside widths, etc. compared to the mounted boards. (Gullies and streams came off worst IMO -- I don't think the artist has a good grasp of how the terrain is supposed to "work", and many of the gullies from older boards that have long, clear LOS along them for several hexes now have much more restricted views.)

The general unpublished rule is "play with the maps you're using".

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Looks like there is an issue with the Causalities Bin

Here is a screen shot, every time I click on report it increases the number over and over and over again, with no additional units added. Also when I reset it, it won't reset. Also when I moved all the units to the map and clear it/reset it and then added them back it keeps adding them up and up and up and up.

Something is whacked out. Plus the icon is no longer there.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I almost only do PBeM. ?
You want to type "please reveal the contents of stack in G5 because I can see it from M3", stop the log, mail it, and then wait for the response? That seems awfully cumbersome.

You do not like to follow the rules of the game?
I think the community has some unwritten chapter E rules regarding VASL mostly to avoid this kind of mundane back-n-forth. I concur it is not the letter of the ASL rules but I think the upside is far larger than you are giving it credit for. YMMV

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What is wrong with "Let opponent unconceal your units"-option in VASL.
I usually only use the HIP counter under top counter during setup, not during the game.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
What is wrong with "Let opponent unconceal your units"-option in VASL.
I usually only use the HIP counter under top counter during setup, not during the game.
There is nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't address your point:
"Get rid of the stack display while hovering the mouse over a stack, it is not allowed to see your opponents stack unless you can show you have a unit in LOS."

Which a lot of people find is a nice convenience factor to having to double-click the stack which also gives the exact same information. Anywho, Discord is better for chat. Hit me up there if my point isn't clear.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You do not like to follow the rules of the game?
Has nothing to do with the rules of the game.

In face to face play or in live VASL play this is not an issue. In the PBEM games I have played it's not an issue.

Mainly right now I am playing SASL and its not an issue.