Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Okay VASL Hive, was just on VASL a few minutes ago and was having the problems:
  1. Opponent set up a room and a game
  2. I joined the room
  3. Synchronized with the game
  4. Set up my forces and was about to start
  5. Opponent moved his Sniper but I was unable see it move (it remained in place)
  6. I moved his Sniper and other counter and opponent could see them
  7. But when he moved the counters I could not.
We did a variation of reloading the game, entering and leaving the room, exiting and reloading VASL, even tried different version of VASL (6.4.4 & 6.5)

Any thoughts on what is problems and how to rectify them?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
That sounds, to me, like what happens when one player loses contact with the VASSAL server. Usually the person who's moves aren't transmitted to the opponent needs to exit VASL and re-enter the room and sync to the other player again.

It seems like you tried that but maybe the other player had a hard time staying connected? There is no good way to know in the UI.

But what you describe happens to my brother often and that's how we fix it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Okay VASL Hive, was just on VASL a few minutes ago and was having the problems:
  1. Opponent set up a room and a game
  2. I joined the room
  3. Synchronized with the game
  4. Set up my forces and was about to start
  5. Opponent moved his Sniper but I was unable see it move (it remained in place)
  6. I moved his Sniper and other counter and opponent could see them
  7. But when he moved the counters I could not.
We did a variation of reloading the game, entering and leaving the room, exiting and reloading VASL, even tried different version of VASL (6.4.4 & 6.5)

Any thoughts on what is problems and how to rectify them?
The basic answer is: It can happen.

Over the years I have experienced various sort of connection problems.

Sometimes, it is an individual who seems to have issues to maintain connection to the VASL server.
Causes can be your personal internet connection, i.e. "something" is amiss along the way between your computer and the VASL server.

Sometimes, it is a short-term issue on the side of the VASL server. In that case, usually ALL people playing there get kicked and after a couple of moments it is possible to reconnect, though you have to reopen all your rooms.

Normally, you will lose connection to the VASL server if you remain idle for some time. What is striking (and I have not figured out anything more about this): The period of time before losing connection while idle can vary (wildly). Not long ago, I got kicked everytime for two days after idling something in between 10 to 20 seconds while other players had no issues and my internet-connection was ok. I could reconnect each time without problems, access any other internet site and kept conversing with my opponent via Skype all along. Somtimes you remain connected when idling for more than an hour.

Rather rarely, the VASL server is inaccessible for a longer period of time. Then nothing works, nobody can connect at all.

In any case, if you observe that either you or your oppnent can't see things that the other can, it is prudent to save your game at that point before leaving the room or exiting, attempting to reconnect, or to restart VASL.

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is exactly why I’d like to get peer to peer working. I think that would cut down on issues like these. Item 42 on the to do list.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is this strange beast (peer-to-peer) you speak of? And how can I get some?
It bypasses the middle man. Instead of connecting through a server, you connect directly to your opponents computer. It sounds awesome and I'd love to get you some. However, I haven't been able how to make it work so at best I'd frustrate you at this point. I'm just about to finish item one on my list which brings item 42 closer to fruition :)