VASL-6.5.0 is released

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sorry for the dumb question, but could find any instructions or an answer via search--how do I install the new version? I've downloaded it and have got the v6.5 vmod file...now what?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sorry for the dumb question, but could find any instructions or an answer via search--how do I install the new version? I've downloaded it and have got the v6.5 vmod file...now what?
I just placed the .vmod in the same folder as the last one and then from VASSAL opened the new .vmod

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
great, I saw all the other files in the folder and thought it would be more complicated...

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Running Virtual Anzacon next week and of course some participants have already downloaded 6.5

If i have 6.4.4 and my opponent the new 6.5..are there going to be compatability issues? -

I understand the casualty bin only work if both players have the new version, but are there any other possible issues?

Cheers

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here's a question that's more about VASL in general, but I'll ask it here.

I had a previous version of VASL installed. I downloaded the new module and copied the mod file in the same directory, and when I open it from VASSAL, it seems to work.

Is this the correct way to keep two different versions of VASL on my computer? I have some ongoing PBEM games and would hate to create problems with them.

Also, I don't know where to suggest features for future versions, but with the large number of boards available, it would be awesome to be able to just type the board number (or name) when selecting one - scrolling down the long list is becoming a problem. Or maybe have an folder-like structure for them, so that, say, HASL boards could be found in a different place; but even the 80+ official numbered boards are making a long list.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I agree that some of them may be clear without a label but since I was doing some of them I did them all. Why not?
Because it doesn't look good.

When I read Bruce's post, I thought he had gone off the handle a bit, then I saw the counters he was talking about :) I have to agree, the new look is off.

Things like stream depth and current direction, yes, they are rarely placed on the map, but then by definition, difficulty finding these counters is rarely going to be a problem. But for the counters we use all the time, it's ugly e.g.
And superfluous, since what the counter represents is printed on the counter! :)

There are 2 separate things going on here: (1) finding the counter and (2) using the counter in a game. Labeling the counter might help with (1), but it does nothing for (2). I suspect you've added these labels so that they can be found by the new "counter search" function, but can't the PieceSlot have a searchable label that is not displayed?

+1 for removing the labels.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Running Virtual Anzacon next week and of course some participants have already downloaded 6.5

If i have 6.4.4 and my opponent the new 6.5..are there going to be compatability issues? -

I understand the casualty bin only work if both players have the new version, but are there any other possible issues?

Cheers
Yes, there can be compatibility issues and it is probable that you run into them.

I think that almost every new counter which is pulled by anyone using VASL v6.5 will be invisible to anyone using earlier versions of VASL, inclusive of 6.4.4.

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Cheers
I haven’t found any issues when I use 6.5 to load a 6.4 vsav file. Ideally though both players should use the same VASL version. Send me one of your 6.4 files and I can check it if you’d like.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, there can be compatibility issues and it is probable that you run into them.

I think that almost every new counter which is pulled by anyone using VASL v6.5 will be invisible to anyone using earlier versions of VASL, inclusive of 6.4.4.

von Marwitz
Yes, if it is a unit counter (infantry, vehicles, planes, guns). Info counters should work fine. I would strongly recommend both players use the same version. 6.5 will run 6.4.4 games without error but new 6.5 features wont work - but they won't break the game.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if this is an issue or not (or me just doing something stupid).

First in the last player turn I malf'ed a LMG (German) and then in the Rally Phase I rolled 6 and broke it goodly. I then right clicked on it and sent it (or tried to) to the CVP pool/window and got this:

- Bad Data in Module: Numeric field contains a non-number Increment AxisCVP: format={iCVP}, value=

Normal, abnormal or just me doing something I am not supposed to (no guard code check?).

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure if this is an issue or not (or me just doing something stupid).

First in the last player turn I malf'ed a LMG (German) and then in the Rally Phase I rolled 6 and broke it goodly. I then right clicked on it and sent it (or tried to) to the CVP pool/window and got this:

- Bad Data in Module: Numeric field contains a non-number Increment AxisCVP: format={iCVP}, value=

Normal, abnormal or just me doing something I am not supposed to (no guard code check?).
You are doing something you are not supposed to do and VASL can't save you from yourself. LOL!

Seriously, because vasl uses prototypes some functionality is found on counters that should not have it. SW are a good example. They don't have a CVP value and so there is no need to send them to the Casualties Bin but the menu item shows up because other counters derived from the prototype need it. Just the way VASL is built.

The message you get is just a reporting message. It does not effect the game or the functioning of the Casualties Bin in any way and can safely be ignored.

I could, and probably will, set the CVP value for each SW in the game to 0. This will eliminate the reporting message.

I did not do this in this first version as it is more work, more chance of errors. I am sure there will be other changes to the Casualties Bin needed/desired. This can be grouped in with that.

Of course, just to be clear, if you don't send SW to the Casualties Bin (and why would you?) you will never see the message!

If you do want to track eliminated SW, then feel free to send them to the Casualties Bin and ignore the message. If you open the Casualties Bin window you will see the SW counter in the bin.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you have a lot of requests from people asking "what the hell are these counters"? If not, are you saying that you did extra work to fix a problem that nobody thought was a problem? Can you or someone else do some extra extra work to put it back the way it was? Please?

Out of curiosity, what were the approximate numbers of people (to your knowledge) confessing to finding these counters inexplicable?

Have you LOOKED at them?

I use those counters all the time (in past versions) and now I'm seriously reconsidering doing that.

That depends on the number of people who made the request. If the answer to that question is "0" (as I strongly suspect to be the case) then the question answers itself.

So can I remove them NOW? How far away is the next update?

Yes, it is, isn't it? And yet you labelled the EC counters.
Bruce, do you have any idea how much effort and time these guys put into maintaining and updating a piece of software that this community would never survive without? No paychecks, no endorsements, nothing but kind words and thanks to keep them going. If Allan, Doug, Tom, or Brian ever quit the game, we would all be SOL. Can you manage to keep it together for just a second and think about that? You're free to modify VASL to suit your needs. It's open source. If you don't know how to do that, just say thank you and go scream at your dog. OR at the very least, find a way to take the tone down a notch.

Last edited:

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that labelling the EC counters is helpful for pulling them, but is it possible to un-label them once they are pulled? I can't figure out how to change/remove the label.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree that labelling the EC counters is helpful for pulling them, but is it possible to un-label them once they are pulled? I can't figure out how to change/remove the label.
I did not build the capability to turn the labels off (or to change them) into this version. I could certainly do so in future.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Would it be easier to just have two sets of counters? One with labels and one without.