Bitter Ender 2020 is CANCELLED

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Posting in General area for better viability. Mods, feel free to move if I'm out of compliance.

Comrades,
As some of you know, NC is on statewide stay at home lockdown for the entire month of April. Therefore the Bitter Ender will NOT TAKE PLACE on 16th through 19th of April.
Players who reserved a hotel room will need to cancel at least 48 hours BEFORE arrival date in order to avoid cancellation charge (room night rate of ~$85).

We staff are trying to secure an alternate date of 18.19.20.21-Jun-2020. Of note, 21-Jun is Father’s Day (Sunday). Since we lost about 80% of players on Sunday anyway we are still going to try to secure this date. Also, it is the only date in June that does not conflict with another tournament. Human Wave is on 26.27.28-Jun-2020 and TX Team Tournament is on 11.12.13.14-Jun-2020. If we cannot secure this date the Bitter Ender will be cancelled. Further information will be sent no later than April 3rd regarding the June date.

If you would like a refund let me know. I can either write you a check or refund your money via PayPay depending on how you paid. Otherwise, I will either hold your money for June or hold it until for 2021.

Last edited:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good luck. Where in North Carolina is this?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Understand, probably the only reasonable decision given the situation. June could be a good month since I'm also signed up for Human Wave. At least it's something to look forward to.

Hope everybody is staying safe and healthy.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn virus is ruining my ASL gaming activities.

Post edited by moderator to remove political reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn virus is ruining my ASL gaming activities.
Keep your political comments out of this thread Scott. It these kind of snide comments that really piss people off. There is NO REASON for this in a tournament status thread.

If you must know I'm a Democrat and I still don't want to read this kind of stuff here.

Quoted post edited by moderator to remove political content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not schedule any ASL tournament before fall 2020 at the earliest.
If we have the option why not secure an alternative date? The TX Team tournament is in June. Should they cancel now? What about Gettysburg in July? What about Atlanta in August? Do you know something the general public doesn't?

I agree with this but I also understand wanting to have placeholder dates in case.
My thoughts exactly. If all is well in June there is no reason NOT to have the tournament. We can always re-assess later.

Risk is a part of life. We take risks everyday. I'm not saying we can't be prudent given Covid 19 situation but to arbitrarily decide to cancel everything we live life for until October when we don't know what will happen or how the pandemic will progress is not necessary IMHO.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If we have the option why not secure an alternative date? The TX Team tournament is in June. Should they cancel now? What about Gettysburg in July? What about Atlanta in August? Do you know something the general public doesn't?

My thoughts exactly. If all is well in June there is no reason NOT to have the tournament. We can always re-assess later.

Risk is a part of life. We take risks everyday. I'm not saying we can't be prudent given Covid 19 situation but to arbitrarily decide to cancel everything we live life for until October when we don't know what will happen or how the pandemic will progress is not necessary IMHO.
Who thinks "all will be well" in June? No one I know, nor any reputable authority.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who thinks "all will be well" in June? No one I know, nor any reputable authority.
Yeah, they are talking about this all day long and are saying that there will be a resurgence, of the illness come this fall. The administration is predicting 100 - 200,000 deaths in the US alone -IF we do everything perfectly.

I corrected the death rates -jim

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yeah, they are talking about this all day long and are saying that there will be a resurgence, of the illness come this fall. The administration is predicting 200 - 300,000 deaths in the US alone -IF we do everything perfectly.
I think that one should be cautious with planning. A while ago parts of the administration were predicting 15 cases tending to zero without further measures, now some are predicting 200-300,000 deaths if all is done perfectly for the US.
Translates for me into: Wait and see, then plan.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plus, it may give you an opportunity to convert to a VASL tourney if the alternate date is undoable -- should that be something you would wish to consider. Reminds me I need to go read how Carl's online Noreaster turned out.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plus, it may give you an opportunity to convert to a VASL tourney if the alternate date is undoable -- should that be something you would wish to consider.
VASL is not an option. I don't have VASL installed. I work all day in front of a computer and when I've tried VASL in the past I did not enjoy it. ASL is strictly a F2F experience for me. My educated guess is that less than half of attendees don't play VASL either.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
VASL is not an option. I don't have VASL installed. I work all day in front of a computer and when I've tried VASL in the past I did not enjoy it. ASL is strictly a F2F experience for me. My educated guess is that less than half of attendees don't play VASL either.
I agree, Doug. I sat as an accountant for 36 years behind a computer and finally retirement freed me. I would rather wait months to play another face-to-face match than to move to VASL.