VotG: Reserves, Night and Recon

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For future reference:

A night attack is declared by the Russians in CG IV...and he subsequently purchases some recon. Being a night scenario he can recon out to 8 hexes from a front line location.

If the German player purchases some units as Reserves...which can be placed as close as 6 hexes to a front line location...are those Reserves eligible to be reconned by the Russian?

I think No since "counter(s) represented by a Reserve Cloaking counter (if any) is considered not to exist until it appears on the map, except as noted below:..."...and recon is not listed.

But I've been wrong before... :D

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...and per usual I was wrong according to the Perry Sez I received... :)

A night attack is declared by the Russians in CG IV...and he subsequently purchases some recon. Being a night scenario he can recon out to 8 hexes from a front line location. If the German player purchases some units as Reserves...which can be placed as close as 6 hexes to a front line location...are those Reserves eligible to be reconned by the Russian?​
Yes; Dummies are removed, and Reserve units regain Reserve Cloaked status.​
....Perry​
MMP​

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think the "Recon out to 8 hexes" was overlooked when the VotG rules were compiled. The answer, btw, conforms to the Recon rule in KGP:

8.6243 RECON INSPECTION: After all setup is complete (but prior to Bombardment, if any), each side may declare the Location(s) they wish to reconnoiter (8.622), if any. Each reconned Location must be within six hexes of a friendly Setup/Eligible-Entry Area hex. The sides take turns declaring one Location at a time, with the U.S. declaring first. Each hidden unit/Equipment in a reconned Location is placed on-map concealed, and all hidden Fortifications in the Location are revealed [EXC: the type/strength of mines is not revealed; use a Known Minefield counter as per 8.6073]. All concealed (including Cloaked/Reserve) units/Equipment therein then lose their “?” (Eliminating Dummies) and the opponent receives Right of Inspection vs the Location (A12.16), regardless of LOS. All units/Equipment in Concealment Terrain in the Location then immediately regain any “?” (but not HIP) they previously had, regardless of LOS [EXC: all Reserve units/Equipment regain their Cloaked Reserve counter (and status), even if not in Concealment Terrain].

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the "Recon out to 8 hexes" was overlooked when the VotG rules were compiled. The answer, btw, conforms to the Recon rule in KGP:

8.6243 RECON INSPECTION: After all setup is complete (but prior to Bombardment, if any), each side may declare the Location(s) they wish to reconnoiter (8.622), if any. Each reconned Location must be within six hexes of a friendly Setup/Eligible-Entry Area hex. The sides take turns declaring one Location at a time, with the U.S. declaring first. Each hidden unit/Equipment in a reconned Location is placed on-map concealed, and all hidden Fortifications in the Location are revealed [EXC: the type/strength of mines is not revealed; use a Known Minefield counter as per 8.6073]. All concealed (including Cloaked/Reserve) units/Equipment therein then lose their “?” (Eliminating Dummies) and the opponent receives Right of Inspection vs the Location (A12.16), regardless of LOS. All units/Equipment in Concealment Terrain in the Location then immediately regain any “?” (but not HIP) they previously had, regardless of LOS [EXC: all Reserve units/Equipment regain their Cloaked Reserve counter (and status), even if not in Concealment Terrain].
So it does conform...which nowadays is a very good thing... :)