March Madness 2020

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We have a case of COVID-19 in the county the venue is located in (Johnson County Kansas). We have stocked up on cleaning supplies and will offer refunds to any who wish to withdraw. We will not allow sharing of dice or shaking hands.
And just in case you all get quarantined in there make sure you bring a copy of Red Factories to keep you going :)

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
We have a case of COVID-19 in the county the venue is located in (Johnson County Kansas). We have stocked up on cleaning supplies and will offer refunds to any who wish to withdraw. We will not allow sharing of dice or shaking hands. With most ASL players in the age group second most at risk. We do recommend caution and prudent precautions especially if you have a risk factor. We are a small group. However, we fit the definition of unnecessary travel. Everyone should consider attendance carefully especially if you have to fly in for the tourney. PM me if you would like to change your plans. Thank you.

I still plan on attending; see you in just over a week!

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody interested in doing this tournament via Skype? Avoid the unnecessary travel but still play the ASL games?

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am planning to push cardboard in person... If i need to bring a surgical mask to share or a cone of shame for my opponent to wear to avoid touching their face I can do it...

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you serious!?
Unfortunately yes. In 24 hours we have 4 more cases, including the first death. The State of Kansas and the several cities in the area have declared an emergency and taking emergency measures across the metro area. I can only imagine what the next week will bring. Might be better to plan an alternative then wait to be told what to do. We will make out final decision tomorrow to give plenty of notice to everyone who is traveling. Today we will research what the various Health Departments are ordering.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Are you serious!?
Well, Denmark went from "basically normal" with the Scandinavian Open ASL tournament taking place with - as far as I know - no Corona-related cancellations to a country in basic lockdown in 11 days. Most non-health public employees to stay home, avoid public transports, avoid large groups, right to ban events with more than 100 people, etc. Both my sons were ordered to work from home, one by public employer and one by private employer, only absolutely essential employees remain working at the two sites. And now my youngest is sick, but there are now too many cases in Denmark to perform tests (a week ago he played floorball with a girl who got sick after skiing in southern Austria, she is not diagnosed either due to high caseload, but her room-sharing ski-partner was tested positive a few days earlier). So far my son has a fever but otherwise mild symptoms, so I am sure he will be fine.

I do not want to raise any alarm, but to me the Danish (and similar Swiss) reactions seem the most appropriate (and least politically motivated) of the ones I have read about. Rational is to flatten the curves so that the health system can handle the load, Denmark is past eradicating Corona.

As for me, I literally live on a mountain, I have VASL and my next tournament is in June. Moreover, we have food from a party of 14 that should have taken place tomorrow, now cancelled. Michael - see you on VASL Monday.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, Denmark went from "basically normal" with the Scandinavian Open ASL tournament taking place with - as far as I know - no Corona-related cancellations to a country in basic lockdown in 11 days. Most non-health public employees to stay home, avoid public transports, avoid large groups, right to ban events with more than 100 people, etc. Both my sons were ordered to work from home, one by public employer and one by private employer, only absolutely essential employees remain working at the two sites. And now my youngest is sick, but there are now too many cases in Denmark to perform tests (a week ago he played floorball with a girl who got sick after skiing in southern Austria, she is not diagnosed either due to high caseload, but her room-sharing ski-partner was tested positive a few days earlier). So far my son has a fever but otherwise mild symptoms, so I am sure he will be fine.

I do not want to raise any alarm, but to me the Danish (and similar Swiss) reactions seem the most appropriate (and least politically motivated) of the ones I have read about. Rational is to flatten the curves so that the health system can handle the load, Denmark is past eradicating Corona.

As for me, I literally live on a mountain, I have VASL and my next tournament is in June. Moreover, we have food from a party of 14 that should have taken place tomorrow, now cancelled. Michael - see you on VASL Monday.
Exactly, I was in Copenhagen. They went from a few scattered cases to shutting everything down in a week.

Luckily, just flew out the day before the shutdown.

Rich

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately yes. In 24 hours we have 4 more cases, including the first death. The State of Kansas and the several cities in the area have declared an emergency and taking emergency measures across the metro area. I can only imagine what the next week will bring. Might be better to plan an alternative then wait to be told what to do. We will make out final decision tomorrow to give plenty of notice to everyone who is traveling. Today we will research what the various Health Departments are ordering.

Hey Dan!

I'm sure the attendees will be fully supportive of whatever decision the tourney committee makes. I know I will support you guys. If it's on, I'll be there (remember, I had open heart surgery last January. I'll be cautious, but I won't panic).

Mark

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Well, Denmark went from "basically normal" with the Scandinavian Open ASL tournament taking place with - as far as I know - no Corona-related cancellations to a country in basic lockdown in 11 days.
update. Denmark ”closed” 2 Hours ago. Danes can enter, foreigners can leave, but that is it For the next month. Ferries stop, goods traffic on bridge only. Sweden still with head in the sand.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
update. Denmark ”closed” 2 Hours ago. Danes can enter, foreigners can leave, but that is it For the next month. Ferries stop, goods traffic on bridge only. Sweden still with head in the sand.

Are the other countries in Europe up in arms about what the Danes are doing? They sure were when the US announced its travel restrictions.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Are the other countries in Europe up in arms about what the Danes are doing? They sure were when the US announced its travel restrictions.
France and Sweden are, for different reasons. Rest have not reacted so far, it it will be mostly negative, I am sure.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently, all the toilet paper has been bought up. I got 1 1/2 rolls left, not good. Never thought I’d see a ‘run’ on TP, wtf. Talk about March Madness.

Last edited: